Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kashrus shaila in the middle of cooking a meal
Previous  1  2

cassandra

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 12:07 pm
They can eat it. They just can't eat it at the same time they're eating the meat.

Seraph, I'm happy you got your answer, and a good one.

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 12:18 pm
If you are ashkenaz, after the fact (meaning you didn't plan this) if the pot was aino ben yomo - had not been used w/in 24 hours for dairy, you can eat it with flaishig. If the food is sharp (made with fried onions for example its different though- don't recall the halacha. ) As far as waiting is concerned you do not have to wait at all (besides for maybe if its made with something sharp - prob depends who you ask) If the parve item was already mixed with meat you can eat it.
Sefard is more lenient in this area afaik. Not 100% sure so I'm not going to write it.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 12:24 pm
cassandra wrote:
They can eat it. They just can't eat it at the same time they're eating the meat.

Seraph, I'm happy you got your answer, and a good one.

Not necessarily. Let's say I made pasta in a milchig pot and there's leftovers. The next day I make hamburgers and want pasta on the side, afaik, you can use it. But, you can't make pasta in a milchig pot with the thoughts of, "oh, we can use it tomorrow with the hamburgers."

cassandra

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 12:25 pm
That wasn't her question.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 12:26 pm
It sounded to me like it was.

cassandra

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 12:35 pm
I wouldn't use pasta that I had made in a dairy pot with meat.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 12:36 pm
I wouldn't either. However, halachically, it's not problematic. Or, that's what my Rav says.

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 12:38 pm
btw, if anyone is curious as to why my food was permitted, it was bec of hefsed meruba.

and I'm gonna post in the recipe section my yummy concoction that almost ended up in the trash- curried lentil spinach patties.

cassandra

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 12:50 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
I wouldn't either. However, halachically, it's not problematic. Or, that's what my Rav says.

If you are sephardi it's no problem. If you are Ashkenazic we follow the Rema who says to be machmir in nat bar nat cases, so we don't eat pareve foods cooked in a dairy pot with meat. He does allow it in a bidieved case, but bidieved means that you have already mixed the pareve food with the meat, not that you want to. If you can just as easily make new pasta in a meat or pareve pot that would be preferable. If it hasn't been mixed already it's not considered bidieved. I have learned hilchos kashrus several times with several different people and this has always been the halacha.

Perhaps your rabbi has a different reasoning, or follows someone else, but I don't think it's clear cut.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 1:00 pm
Mimisinger wrote:

It's my understanding that that's what the Kashrut designation DE (dairy equipment) means - it's pareve ingredients, made on dairy utensils/machinery and cannot be eated WITH meat but can be eaten about half an hour after.

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 1:10 pm
glad it turned out to be okay ... I've had similar questions like a meaty ladel being used in a hot parve soup - can we eat it with milky and is the pot now meaty ... it was still considered parve because I had not used the ladel in 24 hours (although in my case it was way longer than 24)

cut cheese with a parve knife ... is the knife now milky - I also cut onions ... I forget the details but since stuff was cold and time passed I was able to use it for parve again ...

I'm always surprised by a rov's answer - but I do ask ...

my next question is ... milky cup & spoon with hot coffee & soymilk ... used with meaty plate & fork with pareve not so hot food on it ... ??? I put everything aside and have been meaning to ask ...

drumjj

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 2:14 pm
sorry I didnt reply earlier I was out but that is the reason that my husband also said bc it has already been mixed with the other food its a waste etc.

Tehilla

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 2:16 pm
Seraph wrote:
btw, if anyone is curious as to why my food was permitted, it was bec of hefsed meruba.

and I'm gonna post in the recipe section my yummy concoction that almost ended up in the trash- curried lentil spinach patties.

sounds yummy, can you post a recipe somewhere?

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 2:20 pm
Cassandra as I wrote in my post you can't cook the pareve food in the dairy pot in order to eat it with meat, however if you already did so and the pot was Aino Ben Yomo you can mix it with meat. (even Ashkenazim)

(as long as its not a sharp food)

cassandra

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 2:33 pm
Aidelmom wrote:
Cassandra as I wrote in my post you can't cook the pareve food in the dairy pot in order to eat it with meat, however if you already did so and the pot was Aino Ben Yomo you can mix it with meat. (even Ashkenazim)

(as long as its not a sharp food)

I apologize. You're correct. But only in a case of eino ben yomo.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen