Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Laughing gas- normal for kids?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:41 pm
Ds6 is very anxious at the dentist, and has to get his first cavity filled. The dental receptionist told me that the dentist recommends that every kid get laughing gas (even though it’s not covered by insurance).
Is this typical these days? When I was little, nobody ever did that. I don’t know if they’re recommending it because it’s something everyone does now, or because my son is anxious, or because the dentist doesn’t want to deal with any nervous kids in general, or because it’s more $ for them because it’s not covered!

Another question is- what can I expect if he gets it? What happens to him? What can I tell him to expect? How long does does the effect last?

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:53 pm
My kids never got it. My dentist has told me in the past that on a rare occasion he will recommend it but definitely not his usual practice. My kids can be terrors there and he deals with them. He sometimes uses something to keep their mouths open.

amother
Offwhite

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:59 pm
Yes my kids get laughing Hass when getting cavities filled
There’s no way they would handle otherwise

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:02 pm
It keeps them calm and a bit in a daze. He'll be woozy and super calm.
I do recommend it for young children.
But, here's the kicker, it is TERRIBLE for people with homozygous mthfr C677T gene mutation.

At least one of my kids have it and she reacted TERRIBLY to it. She had 4 visits. I didn't realize how she was getting progressively worse with every visit. After the 4th, she couldn't hold her body anymore, I had to carry her out. She wasn't herself for a few days. Went back to school after that weekend and then developed many neuroligical, social, sensory and behavioural issues. She was later diagnosed with PANS. But was many years until we figure out the source of her issues.
Once we gave her consistent high doses of methylated B vitamins she improved 90% she still has some sustained brain damage. But hopefully she will heal some more over time.

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:08 pm
I have had laughing gas myself once, though I never gave it to my kids.
I remember it made me feel a little tired and I felt like I was a little weaker than usual. It wore off after about 10 minutes. I

amother
Seablue

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:14 pm
My dentist when I was growing up never gave it to us. She says that it's for lazy dentists.
My kids' dentist recommends it for everyone. I didn't realize that it could be a problem, because I had it myself when I had my wisdom teeth removed and it wore off right away, but when I gave it to my kid she was woozy and sleeping a lot for 3 days.
The next time she went to the dentist, I refused the laughing gas. The dentist was all upset about it, which I get, because she wasn't behaving so nicely, but hello, you chose to become a pediatric dentist, and that includes dealing with kids.
I wanted to switch dentists after that, but I don't have where to switch to.

amother
Anemone

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:16 pm
It’s something dentists are doing lately. When I took my older kids it was almost unheard of. I took my 5 year old recently and it was almost a given. I had to fight with them to give him a chance and bh it was all good.

amother
Alyssum

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:46 pm
My kids have mthfr also and I avoid it at all costs.
If you absolutely must, replenish b12 and glutathione after because that's what it depletes.
But try to do without. My kids are anxious (another mthfr thing) and they never needed.

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:52 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
My kids have mthfr also and I avoid it at all costs.
If you absolutely must, replenish b12 and glutathione after because that's what it depletes.
But try to do without. My kids are anxious (another mthfr thing) and they never needed.

We're putting my 4 yo to sleep for his work. We tried without. His little body was shaking so violently from anxiety she couldn't work on him safely. He was shaking and crying silent tears. He so badly wanted to be good. He just couldn't.
For kids like him it's preferred general anesthesia over 5 visits with laughing gas.

Btw, the doctor can easily check for the gene. You can do bloodwork, if you do, have then check homocysteine levels at the same time. Or thru a swab, but usually those you have to pay for out of pocket. It's around $150 not too bad. (If it isn't suspected I'd do swab. If it is suspected I'd do bloodwork to also check homocysteine levels)

Imo, a swab text should be mandatory for children before using laughing gas. SO MUCH trouble and pain can be avoided this way. The gene is actually extremely common, but unless a person is exposed to certain things, they will likely live healthy and happily till 120 not knowing.
But if you do, and are exposed to things that are bad for you, it can be a wild goose chase to get to the bottom of it.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 10:33 pm
My dd is very anxious so they use it. Would not be able to do dental work on her otherwise, she has a major phobia, we tried almost a dozen dentists. It helps her feel calm, she acts a bit high on it and she says it makes her feel tingly. Wears off quickly.

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 5:39 am
We put our 7 yr old to sleep, she needed alot of work and wldnt handle anything in her mouth, I didn't explain anything to her, except "it's not gonna hurt..."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics