Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Putting cameras in school bathrooms (by the sinks)
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 1:40 pm
My daughter says it's impossible to see where the cameras are pointing. It's a round camera. She has no idea if it is pointed towards sinks or stalls.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 1:41 pm
Sinks are outside in a separate open public area with no doors. Anyone passing by can see and talk to anyone there. They are not together in the same area with the stalls. In fact cameras are just there in case proof is needed.
The problem as I see it is that bullying can occur in the inner area where the stalls are and that is a place where you simply cannot put cameras. If students are in there you can knock and demand they come out but you cannot go in. So what to do about hidden bullying?
Our son and other students were bullied many years ago inside near the stalls and urinals. The school threatened to remove doors if the bullies did not stop.
But you can’t do that with girls.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 1:43 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
How so?

Being that I’m the only one against this idea, I’d love to hear an actual solid reason for this as opposed to name calling. Thanks!

Saying a statement is dramatic is not name calling...

If the alternative is bullying then I think it's appropriate to put the cameras in a location where people are not regularly exposed. Sinks are the equivalent of lockers. There's no privacy issue.

The issue is that the children don't know the cameras are there. They should be told.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 2:00 pm
I would have appreciated this when I was on school. All the rough girls always hung out in the bathrooms making it very difficult for meeker students to feel safe.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 9:02 am
We had full length mirrors in the stalls (which was simply bad for my acne but whatever...) so everyone could do private business there. We definetely had someone monitoring the sinks all the time. I remember a girl wanting to tell me a secret (something harmless, I think that her mom was expecting) so we went into a bathroom and we had a knock on the door to sinks (not the door to the stall!) from a staff member. But we knew it was monitored so it was fine. I would want to know if my daughter was led into a stall with someone...

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 9:22 am
Our school removed the doors that are entrances to the sink areas, (hallway doors) so a teacher can stand in the hallway and hear what's going on.
No one asked, no one explained, but I assume its to prevent various issues. Probably cutting class as well.
Its not simple for a teacher to enter a student bathroom. No one wants to get sued for anything.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 9:29 am
My kid’s school doesn’t have cameras by the sinks. I wish they did.

The more space that has cameras the safer it is for the children.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics