Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Poll: Save $$ Hire a Simcha photographer at half the cost
Previous  1  2  3

Would you hire a wedding or Simcha photographer for half the price without editing the pictures?
Yes. I trust the photographer to take great pictures and multiples so I can choose.  
 40%  [ 47 ]
No. I want the editing.  
 54%  [ 63 ]
Other. I’ll explain below.  
 4%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 115

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 7:05 am
I want to echo what some other posters said earlier.
No photographer worth their time is willing to send photos in full quality unedited.

I recently hired a newbie for a child’s birthday party. She took some course, had all this equipment and wanted to do it for under $100. I felt bad that after she spent 4 hours at the party she would need to sit and edit. I offered to just get the photos unedited. She refused. She was new and it showed in her photos. But she had talent and potential. When I was going to share those photos - if they were unedited no one else would hire her.

A photographer is an artist - not a photo service that will show up and take photos during your event so you don’t have to take your phone out.

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 7:34 am
amother OP wrote:
The few of you that are defending the industry are obviously photographers.

The issue I have is with photographers knowing that their is a need and taking advantage of it. People that are looking to marry off their children are doing the best they can to provide a descent wedding but at a reasonable price. Finding a reasonably priced photographers is becoming very hard to find.

No. I will not have someone use an iPhone to take pictures that is just ridiculous. Spending $6000 for a flash drive is just plain wrong.

At a ateres charna photography is part of the all inclusive hall price. Photos are automated and equipment built in.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 8:01 am
Hiring a photographer will get you tons more pictures and better pictures than using an iphone or buying a camera and having a friend take the pics. I am not a photographer and am not related to any photographers. I know nothing at all about JPEG or whatever else photographers use. Just the poses alone are something that would not happen comparably with a friend taking the pictures.

And of course, those umbrellas that flash provide necessary lighting. Without them you'd have shadows all over your pictures.

I think the more expensive photographers do much cooler poses. I would not spend that much, but I have seen and appreciated a friend's expensive pictures.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:41 am
Im a photographer. I have been in the industry for over twenty years, I am known to take extremely creative shots, I try to get every shot right in camera but there are many that need an extra editing touch to perfect them. Eg the crop, the exposure, the lighting may need adjusting, the colour of the skin tone. Back in the film days we also edited, you were given proof negatives which you then chose, not every shot was good but I feel that the photographer was more honed in on the art and science of taking the picture. Nowadays it feels within the industry that anyone can decide they are a photographer because of the advance in technology.
You get what you pay for.
The same way the chef at the wedding wouldnt give you all the raw ingredients and expect your guests to 'cook it themselves' or lay their own place setting, the same way the photographer doesnt give you raw images.
And it takes hours to sort through images, thats also something you wouldnt want to sit doing.
Being out for hours on the day of the wedding, climbing up and down a ladder at the dancing, dealign with unco-opertaive kids (and adults) when taking the pictures, and knowing your job is not yet done, plus the massive investment factor into constantly upgrading, new lenses etc, all costs time and money.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:42 am
I had a takana chassuna and the photographer was cheap I don't remember the price. I love my pictures! My sister in law had her pictures done with a "brand name" photographer and hated them. I think I did get lucky, the photographer I used now has a lot more experience and charges a ton but is just naturally talented.

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 1:02 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
But an edited picture is not memories.

It’s enhanced and a make believe lens of reality

You are thinking of photoshop and changing the picture. In photography editing must be done in order for the picture to look normal. Very often lighting etc needs to be adjusted. I would not cheap out on this.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics