Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Help me love the name Shulamis (or find a nickname)
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 12:20 pm
It’s really a name you hate or love
Personally don’t like it and would never name my kid that name, you don’t have to give a name you dislike. A grandparent of mine has a name I Do not like and I chose not to name it. You will have to live with the name

amother
DarkViolet

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 12:33 pm
I love the name Shula.
You can also do Sheila.. sounds more American.

amother
Watermelon

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 1:00 pm
Could you do Shimi, like Shimi Adar? Such a cute name for a girl! And Shimi Adar is so positive!!!

I hear you on Shulamis...
I named my son a name I didn't care for from my husband's side. I tried to find nicknames, but really nothing stuck. He's 6 and I looooooooooooove his full name and I think all people with that name are awesome.

So... if you don't absolutely hate it, I would just give it.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 1:11 pm
Op, named aren't something that you can be helped with liking. It's a personal preference. You don't like it and that's it.

Can you convince me to like cottage cheese? I don't think so. Same.

writeread

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 1:25 pm
I like Shelly. Mami could also be cute. Or Mimi.

Also, it could work to use a very cutesy nickname for the first few years till you get used to it. Like Shushu or Lala.

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 1:33 pm
In the Chassidish world Shuli is a nickname for Sholom

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 1:40 pm
amother DarkViolet wrote:
I love the name Shula.
You can also do Sheila.. sounds more American.

Also like she’s 87. Goes along with Helen and Sylvia.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 2:19 pm
I happen to like the name Shulamis and love nicknames so def would do Shuli.

Its unusual but normal within yeshiva circles without being too “out there”.

Bshaah tova and nachas.

amother
Celeste

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:49 am
I love the name Shulamit (NOT Shulamis).
It just sounds so romantic to me, especially with the association with Shir HaShirim.
Also, I have a son named for my MIL's father. A name I really didn't care for, but knew how meaningful it would be for my husband, and for my MIL. I am so happy we did. He is the only one with that grandfather's full name (others each paired it with something else) and Baruch Hashem has inherited some of his really positive traits. He, like my other kids, has always liked hearing about the grandfather he was named after.
As for nicknames, I think you can do whatever you want ...
What do you like of Lula? (I love the sound of that.) Or Shelly? Or Ami? (Another great one)
I would keep playing with it until I hit on something that resonated with me.

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:19 am
amother Aqua wrote:
Also like she’s 87. Goes along with Helen and Sylvia.

Old fashioned names are becoming super in now Wink

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 5:13 am
I never liked the name Shulamis, but I know a Chaya Shulamis and I never connected that to Shulamis and always liked the sound of it. I knew a Shulamis Yehudis too, and I do not like that combination. My dd had a friend Shuli and when she found out her name was Shulamit, she would go around singing "Shuli, Shulamit, Shuli, Shulamit." She was about 5 and sang it so sweetly that I now have good associations with that pronunciation and nickname as well.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 5:44 pm
Op, did you name your baby yet? What name did/will you use?

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 5:49 pm
Lami as a nickname?

yachnabobba

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 6:07 pm
I happened to love the name Shulamis. To me it’s symbolic of shleimus perfection. Missy would be shticky. I have a son Shuli so I don’t see it as a girl name

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 6:10 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
Op, did you name your baby yet? What name did/will you use?

I'm actually not pregnant (that I know of) but I know this is going to come up in the future.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 9:42 pm
So interesting because I love the name shulamis. I love the meaning and the association with shalem - peace/ completion and maybe especially because I know a wonderful kind thoughtful accomplished woman named shulamis. But obviously each person has different tastes, I’m not trying to invalidate your feelings.
I named my oldest child a name I really , really did not like the sound of. By now I don’t think twice about it because I automatically associate the name with that child. I love my child so much , he is such a great kid the name has only great connotations. Bonus is he feels connected to the person he was named after who was a wonderful man, and my child admires who that was and what he accomplished.
Wishing you hatzlacha and siyata dishmaya.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 10:16 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
So interesting because I love the name shulamis. I love the meaning and the association with shalem - peace/ completion

I love that about it too. I'm usually very into name meanings. I just really hate how it sounds and for some reason I can't get past it.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 10:25 pm
Would ULI click for you?
or milly?

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 10:59 pm
Op I don’t know if this helps.. but I named my child after dh grandparent a name that I absolutely couldn’t get over. In the circles I grew up in it’s a name for the opposite gender 🙈 but now it fits him SO perfectly and I absolutely love love the name!!
If giving the name is something you’ll do, and you have a positive attitude about it (ie don’t feel forced into it, but are inspired to do it etc..) it’ll grow on you.
I find that when people don’t get over a name it’s because they weren’t happy to do it to begin with (regardless if they liked it or now, it’s about the resentment)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names