Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Double garage conversion layout plans?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:25 am
My double garage was converted to a large room before I owned the house. Now I need more bedrooms with closets, and want to redo it, but was wondering if anyone already did this and would agree to share ideas, plans, layouts etc., at least for brainstorming purposes?

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 11:03 am
Which room of the house is it off of? Near the existing bedrooms?

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 11:06 am
For me, I had space planner come to give us some ideas- it’s off the kitchen so for our layout what makes the most sense is to extend kitchen, make a playroom/ living room and mud room.

Then to take living room being its near the bedrooms and create more bedrooms out of that space and open it up to hallway.

Each house is really specific.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 11:08 am
My double garage is off of my smallish dining room, and my dream is to extend my dining room when I can afford to do so. Maybe make another bedroom past that.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 1:45 pm
It's a bi-level. Downstairs we have a huge playroom, full bathroom, laundry/utility room and this double garage. Upstairs is tiny kitchen, dining room living room, bathroom, 2.5 bedrooms (one tiny one without a closet - basically just a room with a bed ) with master bath. I need more bedrooms, so my oldest would move downstairs to the finished garage, however I would like to make it into more bedrooms before she moves down.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 1:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
It's a bi-level. Downstairs we have a huge playroom, full bathroom, laundry/utility room and this double garage. Upstairs is tiny kitchen, dining room living room, bathroom, 2.5 bedrooms (one tiny one without a closet - basically just a room with a bed ) with master bath. I need more bedrooms, so my oldest would move downstairs to the finished garage, however I would like to make it into more bedrooms before she moves down.

I grew up in a bi-level and my parents finished part of the garage when I was growing up. They kept a small part of it - they still wanted a garage for storage.

So the layout was - when you came down the stairs from upstairs on the left side of the house you entered a large playroom that ran along the front of the house. Behind the playroom was an existing large bedroom (also on left side of house) that ran along the back of the house. next to it was a small utility room, and the bathroom was after that. They made a long hallway that accessed that existing bedroom at the end of the hallway, followed by a door the the playroom, and then the utility and bathroom, continued on to two (new) bedrooms that straddled the right side of the house and took up about half of the garage (IOW those 2 bedrooms took over the right side of the garage/house).

The half of the garage that they kept could be accessed from one end of the playroom, or from the outside (via a garage door). The hallway and bathroom were in the back of this part of the garage.

They also made an entrance from the outside of the house into the playroom.

In the hallway there was also a long closet with shelves, between the bathroom and the bedrooms. The playroom also had a large closet at the end (used for coats and toys on shelves on top). Each of the bedrooms had closets with double sliding doors.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics