Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
A Question for McCain Supporters
Previous  1  2

supermama2

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 3:12 pm
Tapuzi

I'm dumbstruck...Obama said " Jerusalem will forever be the undivided capitol of Israel"... then when the "others" got flaming mad about it he totally did an about face to what he originally said.

AND...before entering Washington, Obama prevented a law that would protect babies who are born alive after an attempted abortion...you just discard them.. This comes from a case where a woman 9 months preg. had a downs baby who she tried to abort and after the procedure, the live baby was discarded and found by a nurse who held the baby for about an hour until it died. Obama said "NO" to trying to save babies like this..

Miss Missie

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 3:44 pm
I'm quoting Sean Hanity: 'Obama is a nice man, he can make a great community leader BUT NOT A PRESIDENT'.

What do you think of what he said to the gasoline crisis? 'Inflate your tires and make regular tune ups and we'll all have enough gas'. He's being sooo ridiculous. Rolling Eyes

Tapuzi

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:17 pm
It's interesting that you can find a quote of Obama supporting an undivided Jerusalem but not one to the contrary. As far as abortion I do not understand how any frum woman cannot be pro-choice. What if a situation were to arise when a rov supports abortion but it is against the law? I do not want the government deciding my religious practices for me.

cassandra

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:21 pm
Quote:
Ahead of Mideast trip, Obama backtracks on 'undivided' Jerusalem
By Reuters, The Associated Press
Tags: Israel, Jerusalem

Barack Obama will visit Israel and the West Bank next week, Israeli and Palestinian officials said Monday. The announcement came a day after the Democratic presidential hopeful sought to downplay his recent remarks on the contentious issue of dividing Jerusalem.

Obama will be in Israel on July 22 and 23 and hold talks with Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni, Defense Minister Ehud Barak, President Shimon Peres and opposition leader Benjamin Netanyahu, an Israeli official said.

Palestinian peace negotiator Saeb Erekat said Obama would also meet President Mahmoud Abbas in the West Bank city of Ramallah next Wednesday.
Advertisement
"The Palestinians welcome this meeting," said Erekat. He also said that if Obama is elected U.S. president, the Palestinians hope he will stay the course between Israel and the Palestinians in reaching peace.

Obama's Republican opponent, John McCain, visited Israel last March but did not meet with the Palestinians.

Obama had been widely expected to visit the Middle East this summer. He has faced wariness among some Jewish voters over his commitment to Israel, fuelled by suspicion over comments indicating willingness to talk to Iranian leaders.

Obama said on Sunday he used "poor phrasing" in a speech supporting Jerusalem as the undivided capital of Israel.

"You know, the truth is that this was an example where we had some poor phrasing in the speech. And we immediately tried to correct the interpretation that was given," he said in an interview aired Sunday on CNN's "Fareed Zakaria - GPS."

"The point we were simply making was, is that we don't want barbed wire running through Jerusalem, similar to the way it was prior to the '67 war, that it is possible for us to create a Jerusalem that is cohesive and coherent," Obama said.

Obama's campaign has issued similar clarifications since the candidate's speech to pro-Israel lobby group after he clinched the Democratic presidential nomination early last month.

In the speech, Obama told the American Israel Public Affairs Committee that if elected president in November, he would work for peace with a Palestinian state alongside Israel.

"Jerusalem will remain the capital of Israel, and it must remain undivided," the Illinois senator said. Palestinian leaders reacted with anger and dismay.

Israel calls the city its undivided and eternal capital, but this status has never been recognized internationally. Palestinians want East Jerusalem, captured by Israel in 1967, for a future capital.

The U.S. Congress passed a law in 1995 describing Jerusalem as capital of Israel and saying it should not be divided, but successive presidents have used their foreign policy powers to maintain the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv and to back negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians on the status of Jerusalem.

fish123

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:25 pm
Miss Missy-

'Inflate your tires and make regular tune ups and we'll all have enough gas'.

Is not an accurate portrayal of Obama's energy plan. These quotes are taken out of context and do not encompass his policies.

Tapuzi

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:27 pm
I still do not see where he said, "I'm sorry, let the Palestinians in."

cassandra

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:29 pm
Who said he said that?

He got up in front of AIPAC and called for an undivided Jerusalem, then backtracked and said that isn't what he meant. He's backtracked on a lot of things. Even the left is bothered by it.

Tapuzi

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 5:22 pm
If you want to talk about backtracking McCain has done that in spades as well regarding
torture issues, gitmo, oil drilling. He is constantly pandering to the christian right- he befriended james hagee to get his endorsement, who is a KNOWN anti-semite, and then once they saw that his sermons were on youtube they dropped him. Also, Obama is certainly no more a religious zealot than Bush, who was convinced God spoke to him.
And by all accounts Bush's policies in the middle east have been disastrous- that is globally acknowledged. And as far as McCain being a decent man, really? Look into when he started dating Cindy. Then check out when he divorced his first wife. Interesting.

cassandra

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 5:23 pm
Yes, but McCain never promised he was the anti-politician. He was different. He didn't play games.

Are you directing these comments at me? I don't love either politician, and I certainly don't judge politicians by their religious beliefs or even marital fidelity. You just claimed that there was no record of Obama backtracking on an undivided Jerusalem. He did.

Tapuzi

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 5:47 pm
No, I am not really directing them at you, I am responding to a few things people said, sorry to not be quoting. Look, I am a pretty hard-core Democrat. I believe their policies are better for our country and the world, generally. So I will ususally default to supporting a Democrat. And nothing Obama has said or done leads me to believe he won't be better for Israel than Bush. I just believe he wants the world to be a better place as a whole and is intelligent enough to surround himself with people who will work hard to make that happen. I believe that Republicans care more about money and the free market and I care more about helping people- I am socially liberal and I think Jews should be because they are the same values-- helping the poor, feeding the hungry, maintaining peace rather than war-- these are Jewish values.

Carefulmom

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 10:37 am
It's funny how everytime someone disagrees with Obama it's racism. Believe me I'm no racist and I don't want to see him President. He tells Israel one thing and the Palestinians another.

I don't like his policy on oil drilling. How about pro choice and what happend in Chicago with that Down Syndrome Baby?

Sorry I don't like McCain either but he's better than Obama.

Carefulmom

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 10:41 am
Bubby where is that Jibjab? Never heard of it. I need a good laugh LOL

nishtikeit

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 10:10 pm
Obama is not for Jewish values when he doesn't uphold the sheva mitzvos. He is for gay "marriage" (which his McCain opposes) and for murdering live babies.

Kinneret

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 11:49 pm
cassandra wrote:
Yes, but McCain never promised he was the anti-politician. He was different. He didn't play games.

Actually, McCain has been playing the "political maverick" card for years, and at one time, he really was something of a maverick. Unfortunately, while he is still claiming to be a maverick, it's pretty clear he isn't anymore. It's a shame.

RachelB

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 1:27 am
I don't vote (not a citizen), but I've been following the campaign, because the outcome of this election will affect world history and life in Y"I. How can any frum Jew vote for Obama? Seriously? He never presented a clear, well informed policy on anything. Isn't it obvious to anyone who listened to him?

PIP

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 1:32 am
Tefila wrote:
Quote:
McCain? Who's he?
Waldo pops up once in a while after disappearing for long stretches of time

I would vote for waldo anytime with his waldish beliefs and clowning around then Obama highly religous and dangerously zealous, beliefs imho.
Hitler too was focused and all on being president and all you know Exclamation

That's exactly what scares me about Obama....

Help

gryp

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 9:13 am
Quote:
I am socially liberal and I think Jews should be because they are the same values-- helping the poor, feeding the hungry, maintaining peace rather than war-- these are Jewish values.

Right, and conservatives are for pushing old ladies in their wheelchairs off cliffs. Remember that cartoon?

Clarissa

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 10:10 am
PrettyInPink wrote:
Tefila wrote:
Quote:
McCain? Who's he?
Waldo pops up once in a while after disappearing for long stretches of time

I would vote for waldo anytime with his waldish beliefs and clowning around then Obama highly religous and dangerously zealous, beliefs imho.
Hitler too was focused and all on being president and all you know Exclamation

That's exactly what scares me about Obama....

Help
I've stayed away from this thread because I'm not a McCain supporter, and therefore won't comment on any of the posts about either candidate, but I have to comment on these comments. Hitler was focused on being president? So Obama is like Hitler? Which presidential candidate hasn't been focused? Bush? Clinton? Reagan? Am I missing something?

PIP

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 8:20 pm
yeah you're missing something. That's not what I meant.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics