Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Can a 4 year-old go on a plane without a passport

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:51 pm
To Florida.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:52 pm
Yup no ID for children flying domestically

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:52 pm
Passports are only needed for international travel. Minors don't need ID for domestic

True

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
To Florida.

Of course! (If you’re in the US) A birth certificate will do.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:53 pm
Yes. If you are coming from US.

International travel is the issue.

My husband was just booking domestic tickets this week, and was confirming birthdays with me. I then realized that nothing will happen if birthdays are incorrect.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:54 pm
Yes

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:55 pm
True wrote:
Of course! (If you’re in the US) A birth certificate will do.

You don’t need a birth certificate either . I’ve never brought a birth certificate for any or my kids and we are just fine .

amother
Begonia

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:58 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
You don’t need a birth certificate either . I’ve never brought a birth certificate for any or my kids and we are just fine .

This depends on the particular agent & their mood. Rather be safe than sorry.

fleetwood

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 3:41 am
amother Begonia wrote:
This depends on the particular agent & their mood. Rather be safe than sorry.

Agreed. We always need to show passports so we always bring. But a birth certificate is just as good for domestic.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 5:58 am
We just got back from Florida we took their birth certificates just in case but we never needed them

amother
Feverfew

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 6:03 am
I think you only need a birth certificate if you have a very big or very small child. Like if you didn’t get a seat for your 2 year old but he’s super tall and looks like a 4 year old. Or if you have a very small 6 year old who is the size of a 3 year old. But if you have a baby in a rear facing car seat it’s best to bring but you probably won’t have to prove age. And sometimes tsa makes the kid say name and birthday on their own so make sure kid knows legal name.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 6:16 am
I’ve flown many many times with my kids and have never shown any ID. Even my 6’ tall 15-year-old wasn’t asked for ID. Sometimes the TSA agent will ask them questions to check that they’re really our kids… but we’ve never had to show a birth certificate and passports are only for international travel.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 6:17 am
Yup.
As a matter of fact when I handed tsa the kids passports they just waved it away and didn't even open it.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 7:57 am
fleetwood wrote:
Agreed. We always need to show passports so we always bring. But a birth certificate is just as good for domestic.

For kids? I dont believe that. I've been flying for years with my kids from LA to NY and back, and I never had to show ID for them.

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:15 am
amother Leaf wrote:
For kids? I dont believe that. I've been flying for years with my kids from LA to NY and back, and I never had to show ID for them.

Same. My 6 year old flew at least 20 times and we never had or were asked for any ID or birth certificate.
Occasionally they’ll ask for child birthday.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:19 am
amother Leaf wrote:

I’ve been flying with my kids (alone and with my husband) frequently since my oldest was one month old, and I have only been asked for a birth certificate one time. I think officially you’re supposed to have something and officially they’re supposed to ask, but 99% of the time no one asks.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:20 am
amother Chicory wrote:
Same. My 6 year old flew at least 20 times and we never had or were asked for any ID or birth certificate.
Occasionally they’ll ask for child birthday.

As unlikely as they are to ask for ID, I think they’re even less likely to ask when both parents are flying.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:28 am
I’ve flown domestically with my kids many many many times, have never been asked to show ID for them. My 15 year old is 5ft 10 and the most recent time we flew just asked his first name and how old he was…

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:58 am
I think I’ve been asked once for a birth certificate and we fly domestically at least twice a year
They sometimes like to have one for a lap infant to make sure no one is kidnapping the baby
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics