Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Kid punished
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10

amother
White

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 4:03 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
This article has absolutely nothing to do with this situation. It's about strategies to prevent kids from drinking soda, and one of them is making water more available than soda. It's not about preventing dehydration.
I'm not commenting on this particular incident, just saying that the article has no relevance.

Did you read the link, it’s in regard to the dialogue with wheat about the government’s involvement with laws, regulations and recommendations on water access in schools.

In particular on page 31 there is information on supporting and promoting water accessibility.

It’s not in regard to the specific incident began in the OP.

Op, am glad it was resolved with the teacher in an efficient fashion.

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 4:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
First time she got in trouble this year. No behavior issues. Really that was my only issue. For a first time offense it seems over the top. And since said kid never misbehaves the teacher should realize it’s an urgent situation for whatever reason.

I don’t even know why I came back on here. The teacher clarified that she realized after that for a first time offense it was too much. She was just frazzled because other kids happened to have been crossing lines that day and this just broke the camel’s back. We didn’t discuss taking any action. And yet on her own she apologized to her and said she doesn’t usually react that way. We have all come up with solutions for the future and moved on.

Waiting for the name callers to come out of the wood work to tell me their outlandish opinions. But I felt the people asking respectful questions deserved answers. I’ll likely regret this though.

Yes, for a kid who is well behaved and respectful, I believe the teacher was a bit too harsh.

It sounds like you discussed with the teacher and things are good now. BH!

amother
Feverfew

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 5:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
They drank most of it on the long bus ride and arrived the same time as the teacher so did not have a chance to refill. It was the beginning of the day. They were thirsty the classroom is hot and dry with the heat. They did need a drink urgently that’s not something I’m debating. My question is in this case where they had no opportunity to refill before and did need the drink what was the right solution?

you applaud the kid for doing the right thing and taking care of themselves even at the risk of getting punished. Have a discussion of needs versus wants. When we need to disobey and when we don't.

amother
White

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 7:59 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Lol amother white, has it been a while since you graduated school? If my teachers (just a couple years ago) had allowed everyone who said they're thirsty to leave at that exact moment, there would have been few students in class and not much productive learning. Kids learn to take advantage real quick.
Since schools provide reasonable breaks when students are in fact encouraged to fill their bottles and use the bathroom, seems ok for a teacher to be able to use their discretion in what is acceptable for their class in the between time.
The child you keep bringing up who's dehydrated/about to faint and being denied a basic necessity has nothing to do with regular classroom policy.

In a school in which the culture allows for water bottles in class , drinking isn’t a big deal and is done with minimal fuss. There are teachers who have implemented this within their classrooms with exceptional results. If one is concerned about spills you can enforce a sports top to the water bottles. Interesting enough the last CDC report linked above addresses this point of how to minimize spills within the class as we allow students water bottles in class.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:18 pm
amother White wrote:
In a school in which the culture allows for water bottles in class , drinking isn’t a big deal and is done with minimal fuss. There are teachers who have implemented this within their classrooms with exceptional results. If one is concerned about spills you can enforce a sports top to the water bottles. Interesting enough the last CDC report linked above addresses this point of how to minimize spills within the class as we allow students water bottles in class.

I apologize for the tangent but I just have to ask. Do you follow the CDC religiously for all other medical advice, or only for select topics?
Page 10 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 Recent Topics