Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
If I write that rates increases as of 2/1

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 5:28 am
I bill a client for monthly bookkeeping services on the 1st of the month, for the month priors services. So February 1, I bill for January. I told her a couple weeks ago as of 2/1/24 the rates are increasing to x amount. I sent her a bill this month for January for the old amount. She emailed me back - is it a mistake, it’s the old rate. Am I right or is she right?

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 5:29 am
You are right, I would think. I would think the new rate applies for services done after 2/1.

You sound like a very ethical person kol hakavod

groovy1224

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 5:30 am
If the rate increase is as of 2/1, that means for services performed after 2/1. Services performed before that date would be at the old rate, regardless of when they are actually billed.

anonymous mom

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 5:32 am
She is right. If rates increase Feb 1st, you can start with the new rates for work that is completed on or after Feb 1st.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 5:33 am
Since you told her after the month started it makes sense that you intended for it to take effect for Februarys work but I do think the wording is confusing I could see reading it either way.

amother
Magnolia

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 5:36 am
amother Khaki wrote:
You are right, I would think. I would think the new rate applies for services done after 2/1.

You sound like a very ethical person kol hakavod

Both sound ethical

Do what you intended to do

amother
Nemesia

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 5:37 am
The rate after 2/1 so all of January would be the old one

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 5:43 am
This is the exact working I used
This email is to inform you of an increase to my bookkeeping services fee starting 2/1/24. The new rate will be $x a month

theoneandonly

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 5:45 am
I would think the rate increases for February 1 going forward, I.e., for any work done after February 1. Work done in January but billed on February 1 should be at the old rate. Thank her for being ethical and looking out for you, but she is wrong.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 6:12 am
Thank you all so much! I emailed her and told her that January was at the old rate

amother
Cappuccino

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 7:01 am
It’s very possible she also thinks that the rate she’s paying is for February, as opposed to the previous months bill
Neither way the increase should only apply to work done after 2/1

tweety1

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 7:11 am
I'm actually amazed at your client. At her honesty. She could've easily let it slide.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics