Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Skip ritalin dose or give very late

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:10 am
Ds started ritalin on Wednesday. He takes it once a day between 8:30 and 9 am. He was up the entire night last night and finally fell asleep around 6:30 this morning. I did not and will not wake him up for his medicine. I'm guessing it makes more sense to skip a dose than to mess up his schedule by taking it whatever time he wakes up; however, I asked the neurologist if ds could only take it on school days, as I see no need for it. The dr. said that he needs to take it every day; and that by not taking it on weekends, it won't be effective on Monday. I'm also concerned about the fact that he stayed up all night last night. I'm wondering if the ritalin caused it. If it wouldn't be Sunday, I would call the doctor, but I don't want to bother him on weekends.

miami85

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 10:48 am
Can they lower the dose? If he takes it in the morning, it shouldn't still be keeping him up all night, it should wear off by evening.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 11:08 am
He’s only on 10mg. He’s up now. I’m debating if I should give it

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 11:18 am
I'm not sure which medicine your child is on.
My son takes vyvanse and I was told there's absolutely no problem to skip on days that there's no school.
I don't give it on shabbos and yom tov. I cut chewable pill in half on Fridays and Sundays.
He had a very hard time sleeping on the medication and it really cuts his appetite.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 11:25 am
My son was on Ritalin XL (slow release) and it affected his sleep even when he took it early in the day. If he took it later in the day it was a disaster sleep-wise. Dr prescribed instant release which was better, but still had to give him Melatonin pretty often.

I didn't find skipping non-school days affected him at all. He hated taking it on Shabbos be it killed his appetite.

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 12:08 pm
My daughter takes ritalin LA Modified release 10mg and she doesn't take it Shabbos. Last school year also not on Friday but now she has learning on Friday.
She also doesn't take it during school holidays and it doesn't affect her at all. I just start it 2 days before schools start again.
She isn't hyper though it's for inattentive ADHD.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics