Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
He wants to dress up like a shalach manos basket

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:05 pm
My preteen son, who loves making fun costumes for Purim, wants to dress up like a shalach manos basket. He plans on plastering candy wrappers of different kinds all over his clothes and has lots of plans about how he's going to do that...but can't figure out how to make himself into a "basket."

We did find one idea here, but he's skeptical about it: https://www.costume-works.com/......html

Any other ideas? We were going to take a round laundry basket and cut out the bottom and somehow hang it on him, but we went to the dollar store today and couldn't find any the right side with a cut-able bottom. I'm also not sure how great that would look.

On a very tight budget, so trying to get supplies that are 10 dollars or less, total.

Any help would be great!

imasinger

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:09 pm
What about doing a sanwich board kind of thing, where he draws and colors a basket onto 2 posterboards, then hangs them front and back?

scintilla

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:12 pm
imasinger wrote:
What about doing a sanwich board kind of thing, where he draws and colors a basket onto 2 posterboards, then hangs them front and back?

My thoughts too. Should be pretty easy to cut it into a basket shape and can even get a basket image printed to size on glossy paper or something if you want it to really look real.

This is also a cute idea: https://www.costume-works.com/......html

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:31 pm
Such a cute idea! Love it!

shanarishona

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:33 pm
I remember my mother dressing me up like that. She went all over to find contact paper that is wicker look and made a basket for me wear - backed by cardboard. It was amazing!

singleagain

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:50 pm
I actually once you made a costume as a cholent pot and did a round laundry basket with the bottom poked out of it. It's totally possible to do as long as the basket is round and you might just need to get like a saw type of thing instead of just a knife. And I would also recommend possibly putting like a pool noodle if the edges are sharp and you can't file it down

Someone in your community has a saw to be able to help

BlissTotes Laundry Basket, Laundry Hamper, Collapsible Laundry Baskets, Dirty Clothes Hamper, Waterproof with Foam Protected Aluminum Handles for College Dorm, Family 90L (Black) https://a.co/d/0zz24Vb

I also found a fabric hamper. It might be easier to cut apart.

Could also ask if anyone has an old one they want to get rid of if you don't want to ruin a perfectly good one.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 12:47 pm
Thank you all so much! I'm very much not a creative or artistic person, but I want to help him make this work.

Any other ideas are welcome! I'm going to try to combine a few of these...

singleagain

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 12:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you all so much! I'm very much not a creative or artistic person, but I want to help him make this work.

Any other ideas are welcome! I'm going to try to combine a few of these...

For something maybe a bit more low cost .. get a small hula hoop to hang off shoulders and put some fabric around it to hang off and look like a bag.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 12:58 pm
We did this one year for my DD but instead of a basket we used a big canvas tote bag. We cut out the bottom of the tote bag and she put it over her head and the straps went over her shoulders. Then she wrote on it decorated front and had fake food and wrappers coming out of the top.

Success10

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:14 pm
I once made dd into an instant soup (osem mana chama) and I used an old tall round laundry basket. I covered the basket in a large printout of the soup label, but I guess your son could wear it as is. Don't forget a fancy bow on top! LOL

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:25 pm
I would get a large cardboard box, cut out the bottom and glue string around it so it looks like a basket similar to to this
https://www.wikihow.com/Turn-a.....glue. .
Then you could make handles would double up as shoulder straps.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics