Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Do you alter your babies/toddlers clothes?
Previous  1  2

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 3:13 pm
Aghast is a little extreme
I don’t alter baby clothes but toddlers I do sometimes
I do have sewing machine and sometimes do myself, other times I bring to the seamstress
Why is it so terrible and important to you?

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 3:17 pm
I’ve been hemming my DDs dresses since she started wearing dresses at 3. She has a bit of a belly and wide shoulders so I size up but I like it short so hem it.
Just fixed the sleeves of my 2 year olds velvet blazer because he’s short and it was too long.

dena613

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 3:18 pm
No

TantaB

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 9:48 pm
Sometimes. I often have to get an off size due to length/width and then like to adjust so it sits properly on the kid. Or, I'll find something on a great sale that just needs to hemmed or some other basic repair and I find it a worthwhile cost saving exercise. To be fair, I do the alterations myself, so cost free. For those that do not do their own alterations (I do it for them Smile), they are not always saving money in the long run. just sometimes.

newinbp

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:23 pm
I hem shabbos robes for young girls, I don’t like the to the floor length cuz then active girls trip while running, so I make them shorter.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 4:41 am
Reminds me of the time all us children were gifted little dresses for our little girls and "encouraged" to have them wear them on the same day for a picnic. Well I put my 2 yo in her dress which was a bit long but whatever. My SIL came with her perfect little princess in her perfectly hemmed dress and commented that I'm "such a funny mother" that I didn't hem the dress. It was a particularly busy and stressful time and I was NOT happy with her comment. No, I do not alter my toddlers' clothes (or my own).

teachkids

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 6:12 am
My kids are very tall so I can't imagine making their clothes shorter.

Once they're old enough to need long skirts I either add material or make them from scratch as needed.

Busybee5

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 3:21 pm
newinbp wrote:
I hem shabbos robes for young girls, I don’t like the to the floor length cuz then active girls trip while running, so I make them shorter.

Do you put your toddler in a robe? This thread is about toddlers. I alter for my older kids and myself if I need but it's not often. Definitely not for baby's/toddlers.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 4:03 pm
I wouldn't put a toddler in a robe. Or a gown at a simcha, for that matter. Not even if it's her big sister or brother getting married.

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 6:32 pm
I like when things fit well. If I buy a matching outfit, I can't expect it to fit 5 kids perfectly straight from the store. Someone is always between sizes so I'll get the bigger size and alter it. Most things I do on my own by hand but I have a tailor at my corner who does a lot for me too.

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 6:35 pm
Also sometimes I'll take a dress and cut it into a top for a toddler who is too young for dresses. Or get a long sleeve tee and cut the sleeves for a toddler who doesn't need to cover her elbow in the summer. I got all my girls a shbs robe and hemmed the toddlers into a tunic so they were matching and it was practical for her too

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 6:37 pm
Busybee5 wrote:
Do you put your toddler in a robe? This thread is about toddlers. I alter for my older kids and myself if I need but it's not often. Definitely not for baby's/toddlers.

Yes my 3 and 2 year old have ankle length robes, had to hem them. They love love love them and it’s amazing. Baths and robes on Friday they look forward all week.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics