Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Nervous- First time sick with a baby

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 7:54 pm
So, looks like I'm coming down with something. Currently running a fever of 101 with a slight cough and I have a 4 month old. No other kids.

Really nervous about her getting sick ch"v but also about how I'm going to take care of her. DH comes home at 2, so until then, I'm on my own. Not really any family in the area that can help and DH can't take off on short notice.

She naps 4 times a day for about 40 mins each and she's recently started requiring a lot more attention. I.e. I can't set her down in one spot for more than 10 mins or so or she gets upset.

How do I get through this? Tips, tricks, and chizzuk are appreciated.

scruffy

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 7:58 pm
If you're nursing the baby will get antibodies from you.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 7:59 pm
scruffy wrote:
If you're nursing the baby will get antibodies from you.

Good to know. Thanks.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:01 pm
Honestly id be most concerned about baby catching whatever you have. I’d guess based on your symptoms it’s flu. I’d recommend reaching out to your doc for flu test; you may be able to get tamiflu which can really help.

Bh 4 month old unlike 14 month old doesn’t need much physically;’she probably goes from crib to bouncy to chair to activity gym (obviously being held in between) but you don’t have the issue of her climbing your bookshelves and you can care for her while lying on couch if need be.

Make sure you have food and drink for yourself. If you can’t cook and your husband can’t cook, consider ordering in. You need to maintain your strength.

Feel better soon

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:02 pm
Refuah shelaima! In terms of worrying about her, you do your best (wash hands/ sanitize) and then Hashem does whatever is meant to happen. You can't control it all, and He put you in this situation so He will make sure all goes as He plans. In terms of managing, be kind to yourself. Take meds as needed, feed yourself, stay hydrated, and dedicate any energy to taking care of yourself and the baby. Everything else will wait (cleaning, dinner, laundry, etc). When it's hard, remind yourself that it's a temporary situation and you just need to get through until the next nap time.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:03 pm
You just survive. You’ll make it through. Your baby won’t get as much attention as they want but just take care of their basic needs. It may be tough and miserable for you but you’ll make it through. It’s really hard being sick and responsible for other people. I hope you feel better quickly.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:05 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
Honestly id be most concerned about baby catching whatever you have. I’d guess based on your symptoms it’s flu. I’d recommend reaching out to your doc for flu test; you may be able to get tamiflu which can really help.

Bh 4 month old unlike 14 month old doesn’t need much physically;’she probably goes from crib to bouncy to chair to activity gym (obviously being held in between) but you don’t have the issue of her climbing your bookshelves and you can care for her while lying on couch if need be.

Make sure you have food and drink for yourself. If you can’t cook and your husband can’t cook, consider ordering in. You need to maintain your strength.

Feel better soon

Thank you! BH, yea, she's not quite so active yet.

I've never tested for the flu, but will do that. Will it lower the likelihood of her catching it? I always thought there's nothing to do but let the flu run its course.

socialbutterfly

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:15 pm
Ugh literally the worst. I never appreciated my own health until I had children. I'm so sorry for you and hope for a speedy recovery.

You might have no choice but to take care of her till 2pm TMI
My advice would be to medicate as needed and get as much sleep as you can tonight. Can your DH be home promptly at 2pm tomorrow? If yes, ask if he can watch baby for the evening so you can get more sleep.

Maybe plant yourself on the couch for the times she's awake throughout the day and have everything you need near by.

teachkids

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:20 pm
Make yourself a bed on the living room floor (blankets, pillows etc) and gather everything you'll need for the day and just settle down and let her play and sleep next to you

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! BH, yea, she's not quite so active yet.

I've never tested for the flu, but will do that. Will it lower the likelihood of her catching it? I always thought there's nothing to do but let the flu run its course.

Tamiflu can reduce severity and duration of illness, both of which can reduce the chances of her getting it (and of course you’ll feel better sooner)

amother
Canary

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:40 pm
Unfortunately that's the nature of parenting. You get sick and give it to them, they get sick and give it to you. There isn't much you can do about it because you can't not take care of your kids. Nursing helps, at least your baby will get some antibodies from you. As for getting through it, it's tough. Try to keep everything nearby so you don't have to move around too much, and then ask your husband to step up to the plate where he can (tonight, as soon as he gets home tomorrow). Hopefully by the time he catches it, at least one of you will be better.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 11:21 pm
BH we survived day 1 but my temp is back up now after holding at 99 all day. I can't sleep but also know that I need to.

Baby is doing good BH but I think is going through a growth spurt and has been really fussy the last few days. Just my luck...

DHs chavrusa said that he knows tons of people that are sick right now, so that makes me feel a little less alone.

Anyone else out there under the weather that can commiserate with me?

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 11:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
BH we survived day 1 but my temp is back up now after holding at 99 all day. I can't sleep but also know that I need to.

Baby is doing good BH but I think is going through a growth spurt and has been really fussy the last few days. Just my luck...

DHs chavrusa said that he knows tons of people that are sick right now, so that makes me feel a little less alone.

Anyone else out there under the weather that can commiserate with me?

May also be going through the 4 month sleep regression which is tough. And being sick is honestly the hardest part of parenting I find. You just wanna curl up and sleep all day but you have a human to take care of. When my baby was almost one, my husband, myself, and baby ALL had Covid it was beyond horrible bc both my husband and I felt we were out of commission. We just tried our best. I guess I didn’t have to worry about my kid not getting sick bc me and her both had symptoms same time (husband few days before). And then we recently had the flu but we think my dd must’ve brought it home or something and was asymptomatic bh so that was easier bc she was able to go out to daycare. But again it’s the hardest to be sick and parent. IyH you’ll start feeling better in no time and this will be behind you very soon!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics