Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Snow day- what are your kids doing right now?
Previous  1  2

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 10:56 am
amother OP wrote:
I hate snow days..too many kids too small of a house not enough space to contain the messes not enough things to do to keep busy all day too much fighting too much food being prepared and eaten all day too many wet soggy gloves and coats and boots all over the living room muddy footprints everywhere..
Well with all that I do want to have somewhat of a productive day. Ish.
What are your kids doing right now?
What are you planning on doing with them soon?

How old are your kids?

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 10:58 am
Take out all the muktza toys/games that they can’t play with on shabbos
Or arts and crafts
Play dough if you have

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 11:12 am
One son was outside at 7 AM then went to daven at 8 AM. Played outside till about 9:30. Played on Nintendo. Currently packing his stuff to go away for shabbos this week. Lol. May as well pack early. Daughter- went outside for a while at 9 AM. Did a project, davened. Currently listening to music. Has school conference call soon.

Son number 2. Was outside from 8:30- 10:30. Now eating.

Three year old- listening to music now with older daughter. Was outside already three times for about twenty minutes each.

Dh going to snow blow driveway in about an hour so they will go back out then.

Hopefully the snow will be good enough for sledding this afternoon as I have a great hill and they can sled for HOURS!

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 11:12 am
Baking, screen time and play outdoors

Growing up on Snow days I remember soup, cozy foods or ordering pizza and watching movies

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 11:28 am
Lakewood has regular school.
I don’t think we have more than 2 inches.
My kids are wishing for a snow day…
2 kids are home sick though.

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 1:29 pm
For now my kids are busying themselves. Coloring, napping... Its the mama who's bored!!

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 1:33 pm
Shoveling outside with their hard earned shovels Hiding

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 6:37 pm
yamz wrote:
OP, try to reframe for yourself. Remember when you were a kid and you were so excited when you had a snow day? It's just a day to relax, a break from routine. There's no "right way" to spend the day.

First off, food. Easy lunch and easy supper. Maybe a pot of pasta for one meal and toast and scrambled eggs for another. Or french fries and chicken nuggets? Slice some vegetables to go with the meals.

On to activities. See if any of these suggestions appeal to you.

- Let the kids play in the snow and then make hot cocoa. Bonus points if you have mini marshmallows.

-play a boardgame

Build a fort with pillows, blankets, and chairs

- coloring/ crafts. Give them paper, crayons,glue, little pom-poms, buttons, strips of tissue paper....

-Bake cookies. Now you have a snack and activity in one!

- healthier option - make popcorn

- make paper airplanes and have them see how far they can fly

- you take a break while they watch something. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this as long as you're okay with them having occasional screentime! Even if it's a longer amount of time than you usually allow.

Thank you for this. I read it in the nick of time, shut Imamother and went to have a good time with my kids! BH I'm feeling so amazing for having the self-control and giving my kids a time of their life.

We baked chocolate chip cookies, played outside in the snow, built a "city" with all our mentchies and then I let the kids choose and help with supper.

Win-win!

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 6:55 pm
Don’t forget to end off the day with fun bubble baths!

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 8:39 am
My kids watched in the morning, went outside for a bit and made snow angels and had a snowball fight, watched a little more, had lunch, did some coloring, watched a little more, cleaned up, and had dinner.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics