Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Hyper silly at bedtime what helps??

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:13 pm
Hi,
My son who is 6 gets so hyper and silly at bedtime. Taking a shower, getting in pajamas, particularly is hard for him. He doesn’t do well with transition times. He will either be playing and in his own world, or running around acting silly thinking it’s a game. When we have finally settled him down and he’s in his bed and lights are out, he just takes so long to settle. He will talk loudly to himself, sing, come out of room asking for things. It’s getting so frustrating.
I do not want to go the melatonin route.
I am curious if anyone has anything similar with their child and what works.
I think it’s too separate issues the silliness during tasks that need to be done to prepare for bed, and the trouble settling down to fall asleep.
Would appreciate any and all advice

Thank you!!

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:27 pm
It's the same issue - dysregulation
Get rough play in like a pillow fight, ride on shoulders, roughhosing
Start bedtime earlier and have a routine.
Lots of physical grounding things like a bath, scents, you can rub lotion, calm music, lights off, massage

amother
Mayflower

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:33 pm
I keep the house in quiet mode from about 6 o'clock. Thats when I'm getting the baby ready for bed and it helped my older dd go into night mode earlier too. She'll look at books, take a bath, color... but nothing noisy, screens or too exciting

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:36 pm
Magnesium and Epsom salt footsoaks
Magnesium lotion
Gaba and l theanine
Lemon balm
Sleepy from bioray

amother
Caramel

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 10:18 pm
Earlier bedtime

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 10:43 pm
My kids complain that they’re bored all afternoon/evening. Suddenly when it’s bedtime they find what to do and start playing so nicely…

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 12:22 am
Melatonin TMI

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 5:10 am
amother Caramel wrote:
Earlier bedtime

Agreed.

Hyperness is often that theyve missed their sleep window.

Need to also make theyre getting enough physical stimulation (preferably by mid afteenoon. Or at least before supper).

Also. If hes the type of kid that needs a lot of time you may need to build that in for him.

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 7:00 am
Every mother is different, you know yourchild & situation best, but I'd personally try being silly with him, really enter his world on his terms. And then, with a heads up & letting him know preemptively during a calm, loving time, that at certain time, maybe with a signal, ie bedroom light is turned off, it's time to leave go of being silly, & to pick out a bedtime book.

And just as importantly, I'd give this process time, even weeks, time for him to adapt, time for him to see - with warmth & assertiveness - that I mean it. I'd basically ignore it when he doesn't comply, even if he's temporarily up late ("lose the battle, but win the war" : ) ), & temporarily really positively reinforce when he shows even the tiniest steps in a positive direction of adhering (ie sticker charts with small prizes if that works with him).

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 12:35 pm
I started with story cds and it really made a difference. He settles in his bed, selects which story he wants to listen to and usually falls asleep part way through listening.
I also find the nights he has a bath, he's calmer as well, but I usually can only manage that every second night.

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 12:38 pm
It’s an age. It will pass.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics