Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleep schedule babies
Previous  1  2  3

baked ziti

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 1:43 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
Try to push his daytime feedings to every 3 1/2 hours until he manages to go to every 4 hours. This way he will wake up every 4 hours at night instead of every 3. Eventually you you can slowly push it to 5 hours (at night) then 6… my baby slept through the night at 3 months with this method. With absolutely no crying it out. And he’s off the charts overweight so I don’t want to hear a single comment of him starving. I gave him 6-8 ounces every 4 hours 4x a day.

It's not only about weight gain. We also worry about keeping baby's blood sugar levels stable. Young babies need to be fed that often because they digest breast milk that fast and blood sugar levels drop fast.

amother
Valerian

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 1:45 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
Try to push his daytime feedings to every 3 1/2 hours until he manages to go to every 4 hours. This way he will wake up every 4 hours at night instead of every 3. Eventually you you can slowly push it to 5 hours (at night) then 6… my baby slept through the night at 3 months with this method. With absolutely no crying it out. And he’s off the charts overweight so I don’t want to hear a single comment of him starving. I gave him 6-8 ounces every 4 hours 4x a day.

That’s great this worked for your baby. It won’t work for every baby since hunger isn’t the only reason a baby will wake up. Comfort and wanting to be close to his/her mama is a common and very valid reason. Hunger is just one component. But babies are complex
Also what happened if your baby cried before 4 hours during the day? You didn’t feed him?

Is that the 12 hours by 12 weeks method? I haven’t heard great things about it. If it’s different than never mind.

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 1:51 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
That’s great this worked for your baby. It won’t work for every baby since hunger isn’t the only reason a baby will wake up. Comfort and wanting to be close to his/her mama is a common and very valid reason. Hunger is just one component. But babies are complex
Also what happened if your baby cried before 4 hours during the day? You didn’t feed him?

Is that the 12 hours by 12 weeks method? I haven’t heard great things about it. If it’s different than never mind.

He hardly cried between feedings because he wasn’t hungry, I fed him gezunt by each feeding and made sure to burb him multiple times throughout the feeding. If he cried at 3 hours I would play with him, sing to him, give him a pacifier, snuggle with him… I didn’t do a specific method. I go by well fed babies are happy. So I made sure he ate really well so he should sleep at night and it worked.

amother
Valerian

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 1:53 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
He hardly cried between feedings because he wasn’t hungry, I fed him gezunt by each feeding and made sure to burb him multiple times throughout the feeding. If he cried at 3 hours I would play with him, sing to him, give him a pacifier, snuggle with him… I didn’t do a specific method. I go by well fed babies are happy. So I made sure he ate really well so he should sleep at night and it worked.

Right. I’m just saying being full isn’t the only way a baby will sleep. My baby was primarily formula fed which is supposed to keep them more full and sleep better..well she was a terrible sleeper! Babies just have so many different needs. Sleeping 12 hours just isn’t the goal at 7 weeks.

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 1:55 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
Right. I’m just saying being full isn’t the only way a baby will sleep. My baby was primarily formula fed which is supposed to keep them more full and sleep better..well she was a terrible sleeper! Babies just have so many different needs. Sleeping 12 hours just isn’t the goal at 7 weeks.

For some women that IS the goal. Many people can’t survive without a proper nights sleep. The baby obviously will not sleep through the night at 7 weeks but you can start positive sleep habits so that they will sleep through the night when they’re 4 months…

amother
Valerian

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 1:58 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
For some women that IS the goal. Many people can’t survive without a proper nights sleep. The baby obviously will not sleep through the night at 7 weeks but you can start positive sleep habits so that they will sleep through the night when they’re 4 months…

Even 4 months is so young. Most babies won’t sleep through until a year plus. Or 2 years or 3 years. I’m just saying you can’t necessarily make it the goal because wake ups are nromal throughout childhood! It can make someone go crazy and have unreasonable expectations if their child doesn’t sleep through until much later…

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 2:03 pm
amother Winterberry wrote:
Babies can’t and will not sleep thru the night before 4 months old.

That's not true. One of my babies slept through the night naturally from much younger. BH they were healthy and gaining well. But I would not sleep train before 4 months.

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 2:04 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
That's not true. One of my babies slept through the night naturally from much younger. BH they were healthy and gaining well. But I would not sleep train before 4 months.

You can’t sleep train before a baby is 4 months or 13lb whichever comes first.

That’s what I was told when I sleep trained my twins at 4 months. (No adjustment)

amother
Valerian

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 2:06 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
that person prob meant you can’t sleep train before months. Your baby naturally on own did that without training. Which is amazing but NOT the norm. So ppl shouldn’t expect that to
Happen!!

baked ziti

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 3:27 pm
Another thing to understand is that babies cry and wake up for other reasons too. Not only hunger. It could be discomfort or the need to be comforted. It's just as important as feeding them.

amother
Valerian

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 3:29 pm
baked ziti wrote:
Another thing to understand is that babies cry and wake up for other reasons too. Not only hunger. It could be discomfort or the need to be comforted. It's just as important as feeding them.

Exactly. Babies aren’t robots that if you feed them that’s it. So many diff valid reasons for them waking.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 3:49 pm
amother Hosta wrote:

You nursed or gave formula?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 4:05 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
Exactly. Babies aren’t robots that if you feed them that’s it. So many diff valid reasons for them waking.

Yup!
Reminds me of those little keychain toys from when I was a kid....the Tomogachis...

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 4:09 pm
amother Valerian wrote:

I think everyone realizes that! But some babies who are big eaters during the day do sleep through the night from a young age with no regular wake ups.

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 4:22 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
You nursed or gave formula?

In the beginning I nursed exclusively but as he grew and needed more milk I didn’t have enough and introduced formula. I know some people would rather only nurse but for me being able to function like a normal person during the day was more important.

baked ziti

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 4:37 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
I think everyone realizes that! But some babies who are big eaters during the day do sleep through the night from a young age with no regular wake ups.

True. But some babies are huge eaters (like mine) and still need comfort at night. It's majorly important. They are still adjusting to a totally new environment. And a newborn needs to be fed regularly not because of weight gain. Also to keep their blood sugar stable. It's not only about weight.

YounginBP

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 5:18 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
How dare you speak about my baby this way! He is a human being that is healthy and goes to all his checkups and ate 6 ounces when he was 2 months old. Just because your baby wasn’t able to do it doesn’t give you the right to make sweeping statements that babies CANNOT have 6 ounces!

I'm sorry to have offended you and your baby.

It's not right to give a new mom advice that's not mainstream.

Regular feeding patterns are on demand, every 2-3 hours.
Most babies do not eat 6 ounces at 7 weeks. 3 is a lot more typical, both for breast milk and formula.

There was actually another thread here a few weeks back that many women posted that there babies took 3-4 ounces of pumped milk thru introducing solids.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 6:42 pm
amother Hosta wrote:

I learned that if you give 6oz, it stretches a baby's stomach.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 6:48 pm
amother Blush wrote:

Do you have a source for this??? Sounds like an old wives tale, if a baby needs 6 ounces they will eat 6 ounces every baby is different. I would never deny a young baby milk because someone on the internet posted that it would stretch out their stomach.

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 7:01 pm
amother Blush wrote:

I spoke to my pediatrician because I was worried about the amounts he’s eating. He said it’s nearly impossible to overfeed an infant. They will either turn their head away or gag if they’re full. I have seen this to be true, many times he wouldn’t eat the full amount and I never pushed it, he would catch up on the ounces on the next feed.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics