Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Nursing home themed mm
Previous  1  2  3

Tao

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 9:09 pm
Oh boy. I think people are waaayyy overthinking this. It's Purim people. If you don't like a theme, don't open the thread. Honestly, it's not an objectively horrific theme. It's not like she asked for ideas for dressing up like Hamas or whatever. Give her a break.

Tao

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 9:13 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
It’s really insensitive. “Old people” is one thing but literally making a theme out of people’s body breaking down is not right.
Imagine a cancer theme or an Alzheimer’s theme like come on. Have some sensitivity

My kid got glasses at age 3 and bH that's not what I call a body "breaking down". He actually looks adorable if I do say so myself!
Tongue Out
Glasses, tea, cakes that Bubbies make like rugelach etc are all very cute. And mini pill boxes also. Nothing wrong with a person taking care of their health in their old age by taking pills!

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 10:26 pm
amother Maroon wrote:
Because the op sees the lucrative Side of nursing homes and opulent lifestyle that Those involved in the executive level of the nursing homes in our community live by and therefore, she wants to pay homage to that Luxurious lifestyle, or even worse, advertise to her community that she is a part of that lifestyle That’s why she wants to do it. How sad.

LOL all OP wrote is "any ideas?"
How did you come to that long megilla? From which word?
You don't know a thing about OP. I don't think it's fair. You should remove your hateful comment!
So much judgment on this thread, you could be nice even if you disagree with her idea.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 10:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
Any ideas?

Surely you jest.

BatZion

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:05 pm
Oh dear OP.
'Tasteless' is the word that comes to mind.

amother
Magnolia

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 12:42 am
Tao wrote:
My kid got glasses at age 3 and bH that's not what I call a body "breaking down". He actually looks adorable if I do say so myself!
Tongue Out
Glasses, tea, cakes that Bubbies make like rugelach etc are all very cute. And mini pill boxes also. Nothing wrong with a person taking care of their health in their old age by taking pills!

Glasses on a three year old are not due to a body breaking down, so of course you wouldn’t call it that.

Most people in a nursing home can’t use a toilet or eat by themselves. This is not cute or fun.

agreer

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 12:05 pm
OP literally wrote "NURSING HOME THEME"
She didn't write Older people or Bubby and Zaidy

And this is a really important issue.
Purim is a HOLY day, so holy that the Yetzer Hara works so hard to get people confused about its essence.
People forget about the purpose and meaning of Purim and get carried away with themes and humor to such an extent that they become offensive and inappropriate. That is not within the spirit of the yom tov.

Stop telling people to "chill".
Those that take offense with a NURSING HOME theme are right.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 12:12 pm
I’m really glad to hear that some ppl are smart and seeing how insensitive this is while others- I’m just in utter shock. There are no words, just shows a lack of derech Eretz they have to older ppl. I am appalled and even shocked that this post wasn’t locked.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 12:19 pm
Tao wrote:
Oh boy. I think people are waaayyy overthinking this. It's Purim people. If you don't like a theme, don't open the thread. Honestly, it's not an objectively horrific theme. It's not like she asked for ideas for dressing up like Hamas or whatever. Give her a break.

It’s an objectively horrific theme.

Better to explain that to op now than to let her do something horrific on Purim.
That’s what friends are for.
We all make mistakes but when we see someone we care for about to make a huge mistake, we stop them before the damage is done.

pause

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 12:22 pm
BatZion wrote:
Oh dear OP.
'Tasteless' is the word that comes to mind.

Tasteless food, right?

(J/k)

But anyway, OP is gone...

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 12:32 pm
Regardless of whether or not the theme is appropriate, some of you definitely did overreact and call OP a bunch of silly names.
You’re all so self righteous, but have no issue knocking someone down with hateful words when something doesn’t seem right to you.
Hope you’re all proud of yourselves

amother
Arcticblue

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 12:52 pm
I would love for everyone to go and spend a full day or two volunteering at at ECF (nursing home). Not going for an hour or 2 or going to the recreation room and singing a song/putting on a show with a group of young children, but really going and rolling up your sleeves. Answer some call bells (or observe how long it takes for them to be answered) transport some patients to therapy or recreation, work in the kitchen on the food line for an hour, assist a patient or 2 at meals, redirect patients in the dementia unit. Follow and assist the RNs during Med pass (you can pour the water for them.)
Medicare/Medicaid is going to pay the minimum it can, reimbursement rates are not designed to provide luxury. If large profits are being made, were is the money coming from?

I have a hard time believing that a nursing home or a nursing home theme is a place of dignity and respect.
Sometimes people just don’t have other options for their loved ones and they are unquestionably making the best choices they can given their limited options. It might be based on safety, availability, medical acuity, space….. but nobody grows up saying I can’t wait to be 85 and live in a nursing home. Sorry but that is nobody’s dream.

-a former NH employees who now works NH adjacent and communicate professionally with NH staff regularly.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics