Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Taking pictures of frum jews at vacation destinations
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 12:29 pm
I think if someone wants to share their opinion or frustration about bringing kids to a restaurant they are welcome to but to post a video of a distressed baby to prove your point without parent’s permission is wrong.

It’s up to the restaurant (or any hospitality) if they want to allow babies in and on what conditions and what age. I have called restaurants in advanced and asked them about bringing different age kids.
I’m sure if I showed up with a baby at an age they don’t want they wouldn’t have sat me.

If babies bother you then don’t go to places that allow babies. And definitely don’t post vidoes of people’s crying babies online.

amother
Maple

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 1:08 pm
Me and DH were on vacation a couple of years ago. Someone took a picture of us. (No clue who or when) and posted it all over social media as a Mazel tov that were engaged. It was beyond horrible. I only knew about it because a friend called me to wish mazel tov and she said she didn't know I was divorced. (You can tell I had a shietel in the pic. and NO I was not divorced and was never engaged again)
Was beyond horrible. Why would someone do such a thing?

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 19 2024, 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

addicted2techgirl

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 1:10 pm
I may be the minority here but I believe one’s intention makes all the difference.

A person doing street photography with intention of showing the beauty of yiddishkeit has my full endorsement. We see so much negative media about our lifestyle. This is something that adds so much positive to otherwise negative publicity. It’s appreciated within our world as well as in the outside world.
Showing our streets before a yom tov, or parent caring for their child is simply beautiful!
I understand it may make others feel uncomfortable, but I think the positive aspects of street photography done right outweighs that.

Even if you can’t appreciate it now, you will appreciate it 50 years from now in the same we way we cherish street photography from 50 years ago

On the other hand, those who take pictures to poke fun of their fellow jews, that’s never ok
Intention & Professionalism is key

foreverone

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 1:39 pm
Del

Last edited by foreverone on Mon, Feb 19 2024, 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 1:39 pm
addicted2techgirl wrote:
I may be the minority here but I believe one’s intention makes all the difference.

A person doing street photography with intention of showing the beauty of yiddishkeit has my full endorsement. We see so much negative media about our lifestyle. This is something that adds so much positive to otherwise negative publicity. It’s appreciated within our world as well as in the outside world.
Showing our streets before a yom tov, or parent caring for their child is simply beautiful!
I understand it may make others feel uncomfortable, but I think the positive aspects of street photography done right outweighs that.

Even if you can’t appreciate it now, you will appreciate it 50 years from now in the same we way we cherish street photography from 50 years ago

On the other hand, those who take pictures to poke fun of their fellow jews, that’s never ok

Ask permission before you photograph. Some people are fine, even happy to be, being in photos and some don’t want to be. Permission is the key word. You have no right to take pictures of me without my consent. Can someone touch you without consent-no they cannot, how much more so a photo.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 1:44 pm
addicted2techgirl wrote:

Even if the photographer has the greatest of intentions I don't want to be photographed without my consent.
And if the photographer posts photos without consent at least have the decency to remove if the subject of your photo requests it.

addicted2techgirl

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 1:50 pm
Do you think those photos taken 50 years ago were taken with consent? The answer is no! And yet we all appreciate getting a glimpse of life lived before us.
Perhaps you can’t appreciate it right now, but imagine the excitement of ur future generations having a valuable picture of you waiting for the bus with your child or walking your grandparent in miami.

Yes, you’re bringing up a moral conundrum, but I still think the positive outweighs the negative

I’ll repeat what I wrote above, intention is key!

amother
Stone

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 1:57 pm
I am shocked and disgusted. How low has the world sunk?? And now has filtered into our world.
There are ENDLESS threads about tznius on this site. Some of you can't see how posting a persons picture without thier knowledge or consent is not a breach of tznius!? How about shaming someone huh?? Isn't that considered like murdering another person?!
No one knows who will or who won't be embarrassed!
And I am sure a bunch of other halachic violations!
What about morally??
Just because it makes jews look good, or oh well they are out of thier house, does not change the fact that it is beyond wrong on every level.
Sickened by this thread. Can't believe frum women are justifying this or poo pooing it!!
Those justifying it should be ashamed of themselves!
Ugh!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 1:58 pm
addicted2techgirl wrote:

Asking permission & showing the picture they'd be posting, is professional.
Doing so without permission, is not professional at all.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 2:00 pm
addicted2techgirl wrote:
Do you think those photos taken 50 years ago were taken with consent? The answer is no! And yet we all appreciate getting a glimpse of life lived before us.
Perhaps you can’t appreciate it right now, but imagine the excitement of ur future generations having a valuable picture of you waiting for the bus with your child or walking your grandparent in miami.

Yes, you’re bringing up a moral conundrum, but I still think the positive outweighs the negative

I’ll repeat what I wrote above, intention is key!

I disagree. Permission is the key.
And the pictures of 50 years ago, are no where as clear & personal as pictures now & they certainly weren't blasted on SM for the world to see.
The intentions those Instagramers have, is posting pictures that brings them the most followers & likes.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 2:06 pm
foreverone wrote:
removed

She doubled down on it despite getting a lot of backlash. It made me unfollow.

To be clear, you don’t see the baby in the video. You just hear the baby and see the baby’s doona and the mother’s skirt as she sits on a chair near it and rocks it.

amother
Starflower

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 2:27 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
Ask permission before you photograph. Some people are fine, even happy to be, being in photos and some don’t want to be. Permission is the key word. You have no right to take pictures of me without my consent. Can someone touch you without consent-no they cannot, how much more so a photo.

Legally they can take your photo with out your consent in the public domain.

amother
Starflower

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 2:29 pm
Can someone share the names of these accounts so we can have a better understanding.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 2:35 pm
amother Starflower wrote:

What about Mentschlichkeit??

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 2:50 pm
amother Starflower wrote:

Legal doesn't mean that it's ethical, mentschlich, and should be done. Especially for a frum jew for the sole purpose of blasting it on SM.
That's just low behavior.

foreverone

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 5:38 pm
amother Maple wrote:
Me and DH were on vacation a couple of years ago. Someone took a picture of us. (No clue who or when) and posted it all over social media as a Mazel tov that were engaged. It was beyond horrible. I only knew about it because a friend called me to wish mazel tov and she said she didn't know I was divorced. (You can tell I had a shietel in the pic. and NO I was not divorced and was never engaged again)
Was beyond horrible. Why would someone do such a thing?

Oh my.... Have no words

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 7:51 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
Some people take liberties with regard to dress and other things on vacation. Maybe picture some very chashuv guy with a long white beard wearing a polo shirt and holding his wife’s hand. They’ll be embarrassed to have a picture of that snickered at by hundreds of people even if you’ll say awww so cute what’s wrong.

If he doesn't want to be seen holding his wife's hand, then he shouldn't do it in public. Nothing is private these days.

DREAMING

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 8:10 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
I was recently at a nice dairy restaurant midday with my husband, thought my baby would nap through it, but she woke up and I was uncomfortable. As soon as she started making some noise I had the easier pack up the food and we finished eating in the car. Was disappointing but I wasn't going to take away from the other couples who were out to enjoy the legal holiday vacation day with their spouses.
I know in a restaurant midday it would be more accepted to have a baby there. But it was my choice not to bother others that way.

I saw that post by the influencer. The infant was screaming and the mother seemed to be pushing the doona back and forth in the way of a mom that's used to hearing this as background noise (my assumption 😉) If she would've been complaining simply about it being inappropriate to bring a baby at all, that would be her triggered. But to try to enjoy a nice dinner with a baby screaming... That's not mentchlich. Again, just my opinion. And we don't know anyone's whole story. So it's my THEORETICAL opinion.

(And I'm not anti babies, I bring my little nursing babies wherever I go. But not on others cheshbon).

This

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 8:32 am
allthingsblue wrote:
If the liberties are within Halacha I don’t see the problem

Sure I get the need for privacy and value my privacy (and vacation in private areas) but I wouldn’t get so worked up over a picture

(If they’re not within Halacha they shouldn’t have done that in the first place )

And if they shouldn’t have done it ? They deserve to be shamed and humiliated publicly ?

I think anyone who does this is either a bad person or very dumb and immature .

My husband has a bunch of dumb friends that take pictures of me anytime they see me in the street , restaurants, etc… and they send it to mh husband . It feels horribly violating and gives me the most uneasy feeling like I am being spied on. And that’s just sending it to mh husband , not posting for the world to see. They do it to mh kids as well and my kids feel horrible and violated too. And we are not private people in any way . Its just horrible feeling .
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette