Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Floor feels sticky still...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:12 pm
We had a massive mess last week. Wine and other stuff (bottles broke when kid messed around).
I swept and mopped multiple times and it is still sticky. Not sure what my floor is made of... wood or a lookalike. I used Mr clean with a spray mop and changed the pad multiple times. It still feels gross!!
Any suggestions?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:21 pm
You probobly need to use a real mop with a bucket of water to get it out. The floor could also be sticky from too much cleaner. Mop a few times with fresh water.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:26 pm
I sometimes find if something spilled, what works is a swiffer wet mop - the kind where I use a pad, and throw it out. Using the kind of mop where you re-use any of the mopping water spreads the stickiness around. I like using a swiffer pad because you throw it out and use a new one on the area until the stickiness is gone.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:28 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
You probobly need to use a real mop with a bucket of water to get it out. The floor could also be sticky from too much cleaner. Mop a few times with fresh water.

No real mop. No room in my apartment. But will it work to pour a little water on the floor and just use my spray mop without the spray? It isn't a swiffer- it's a no brand mop with reusable pad.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
We had a massive mess last week. Wine and other stuff (bottles broke when kid messed around).
I swept and mopped multiple times and it is still sticky. Not sure what my floor is made of... wood or a lookalike. I used Mr clean with a spray mop and changed the pad multiple times. It still feels gross!!
Any suggestions?

Pour water. Use a towel to rub and mop it up.
Repeat if needed.
Works better than a mop or spray mop.

lilytee

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:48 pm
I would get down on my hands and knees and wash it with no mop. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Amarante

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:58 pm
In my experience the only way to get a floor clean is to scrub on your knees AND go over with a clear water to get rid of the cleaner

OR

Buy a steam mop. They are inexpensive relatively and are small especially since you don't need a bucket. They are amazing because I had let my floor go when I was doing a lot of baking and so raisins got ground in and dried. Put the steam mop on for a few seconds and was able to get it all off.

FWIW if you have wood floors, you have ruined them with what you have cleaned with so presumably you don't have wood.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:59 pm
Get a squeegee, pour water, and scrape it up with the squeegee. Use shmattas to collect the water.

amother
Hunter

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:59 pm
Amarante wrote:
In my experience the only way to get a floor clean is to scrub on your knees AND go over with a clear water to get rid of the cleaner

OR

Buy a steam mop. They are inexpensive relatively and are small especially since you don't need a bucket. They are amazing because I had let my floor go when I was doing a lot of baking and so raisins got ground in and dried. Put the steam mop on for a few seconds and was able to get it all off.

FWIW if you have wood floors, you have ruined them with what you have cleaned with so presumably you don't have wood.

How would you clean wood floors?

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 12:11 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
How would you clean wood floors?

My floors are coated with polyurethane, which I reapply every few years. I vacuum weekly, and if I notice a blob of something, I use a small damp rag to rub away whatever the glop is. Now and then I walk the floors looking for blotches and rub them away the same way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry