Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
Where to try to sell new music? (Jewish)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 5:16 am
My son is very talented and plays a few different instruments. Sometimes he composes music and works on it for a while until he’s pleased with how it sounds.
He usually composes music while playing piano. Then he builds on it with a program he has on the computer (which he uses a special type of keyboard that he plugs into the computer). How can he move forward with his compositions?

Peersupport

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 1:45 pm
He can try to sell compositions by reaching out to singers he thinks will be compatible.

If he wants to sing them himself, he can start by singing at simchas and releasing a single for free.

Choirmistress

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 2:51 pm
Hi, OP.
I'm in the same situation with regard to seeking an outlet for spreading my songs.
However, I have five major hurdles that your son doesn't:

I can't (yet!) play an instrument.
I can neither read nor write sheet music.
I no longer have a good enough singing voice to record. (Second bout of laryngitis decades ago.)
I could sing my songs to someone willing to transcribe them into sheet music form, but most of the possible candidates are men. (The only woman I know here in Toronto who could do that is too busy teaching either piano or guitar.)
I can't afford to pay either the above-mentioned woman or a non-Jewish man to do such transcription.

Bottom line: If you get any viable, practical suggestions from other posters, please pass them along to me too.
Thanks in advance.

enjoying kids

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 4:59 pm
Choirmistress, if you're interested in having me transcribe your songs, PM me.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 5:38 pm
Peersupport wrote:
He can try to sell compositions by reaching out to singers he thinks will be compatible.

If he wants to sing them himself, he can start by singing at simchas and releasing a single for free.

Thank you.
Although he is very musically talented he does not have a good voice so singing is not for him.

Choirmistress

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:27 pm
To the OP: Does your son have/use a musical notation program such as Finale PrintMusic? He could then use that to play his songs, save them as sound files, then take the time to correct/adjust the notes and, when satisfied with the result, print out the resulting song in sheet music form. Of course such a program will allow multiple staves for the same piece of music, so he can add umpteen instruments, clefs, and harmonies. Yes, I have a copy of this program. (It comes as a CD with a 150-page instruction booklet.) No, I have not yet learned how to use it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts