Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Washing hands before eating fruit

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 2:16 pm
Does anyone here wash their hands before eating wet fruits and veggies?
I think most people are not makpid on it.

Its interesting, that even those who never do it, by the pesach seder they do.

cassandra

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 2:17 pm
There are some who only do it for dipping. I personally make sure my fruit is dried well before I eat it.

octopus

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 2:32 pm
There are a lot of things ppl are more machmir with on seder night.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 2:38 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Does anyone here wash their hands before eating wet fruits and veggies?
I think most people are not makpid on it.

Its interesting, that even those who never do it, by the pesach seder they do.

Some people wash their hands before cooking too as they will be touching wet foods that will be eaten.

supermommy

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 2:53 pm
Quote:
Some people wash their hands before cooking too as they will be touching wet foods that will be eaten.
shock
Is this chumra or halacha? I learn something new everyday! I always just make sure to dry my fruits and veggies before eating.

What about cooked veggies? do you need to wash before eating those?
Do we have to wash before eating salad with dressing on it?

I'm glad we're discussing this. It's not often talked about. I wonder why?

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 2:55 pm
supermommy wrote:
Quote:
shock
Is this chumra or halacha?

I don't know if it's halacha or not but I know of a few people who do it and when I've helped to cook by them I was asked to do it too. (not with soap but with a cup)

octopus

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 3:09 pm
I think its a halacha in kitzur, but many ppl aren't makpid on it except seder night (washing b/f eating karpas - a wet veggie).

cassandra

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 3:10 pm
supermommy wrote:

What about cooked veggies?

I think it's only raw that's an issue

Quote:
Do we have to wash before eating salad with dressing on it?

If you eat it with your hands, probably. I assume you use a fork, so you're good.

hadasa

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 6:06 am
We wash for cookies dipped in milk.

teachby

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 10:28 am
I'm makpid to always dry off the fruit, but if I can't dry it for some reason, then I do wash. I've trained my kids on this, too.

gryp

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 10:34 am
We always either dry off the fruit or wash our hands. I thought you had to.

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 10:37 am
I try to dry the fruit. You DO have to wash for a wet fruit! It's halacha.

californiafish

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 6:44 pm
I think the reason we wash on seder night is for dipping, not because of wet vegetable, although it's a common misconception.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 1:10 am
Quote:
You DO have to wash for a wet fruit! It's halacha.

The original halacha is in the gemara, and it has to do with the kohanim and trumos in the times of the bais hamikdosh. There are many that hold that it is not applicable today, and there are many that are not makpid on it. (I guess like yoshon/chodosh)

Quote:
I think the reason we wash on seder night is for dipping, not because of wet vegetable, although it's a common misconception.

Its all the same thing. The halacha is that if you touch something wet with your hands and then eat it, you should wash hands before. That includes dipping, because the food is getting wet.

cassandra

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 8:18 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:

The original halacha is in the gemara, and it has to do with the kohanim and trumos in the times of the bais hamikdosh.

This is also the reason why we wash for bread. Why would one apply and not the other?

Quote:
There are many that hold that it is not applicable today,

It is a halacha at least as contemporary as the Mishna Berura. Who has ruled that it no longer applies?

Quote:
and there are many that are not makpid on it. (I guess like yoshon/chodosh)

People don't keep yoshon based on a famous ruling of the Bach. What does "not makpid" mean? It's a halacha we decide not to keep? Or is there some teshuva which states it no longer applies anymore?

pinkbubbles

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 2:49 pm
I remember learning this once. The Rabbi said these days we do not keep this halacha anymore? Why? It is an issue of the fruit becoming touched while wet by someone with tumah on their hands making the fruit tumah. However these days most if not all of the fruit is already tumah before it reaches us so there is no point of washing our hands before, even if the fruit is wet since you're not going to make it tumah with something from your hands, its too late.

Make any sense? This is completely memory and I have to ask our Rabbi about this.

jewmama83

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 12:25 am
I have never heard any of this, so can someone start from the beginning? I know you are not supposed to touch wet fruit, but I NEVER knew why. I was never so makpid to dry it off. MAybe I should be now. I can learn about all the other htings I need to wash for as well in the kitzur?! Wait, I need to wash my hands if a fruit is wet?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen