Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
A song for my daughter getting married

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:38 am
I want to make up lyrics to a song for my daughter on her wedding day. Can anyone recommend some songs that might be good

Choirmistress

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 9:08 am
Hi, mom, and Mazal Tov to both your families!
Do I take it you already (almost) have suitable lyrics but need a niggun?
I would need a bit of info before suggesting one:
What are the pace (slow, leibedig/dance/grammen, flowing (think smooth violin), strong/steady beat, etc.), the rhythm (e.g., 3/4 vs. 4/4), and the key (Maj vs. min) of your lyrics?
How long, I.e., how many verses' worth?
What is the mood of the lyrics? Delightful, joyous, pensive, celebratory, maudlin, epic, nostalgic, triumphant, affectionate, devoted/otional, etc.?
If you have not yet written the lyrics, pick a song whose niggun reflects the above, then match the lyrics to the niggun. (I could help you with that.)
Some niggunim that may work, in no particular order:
Yachel Yisroel
Im Avonos
Yerushalayim Shel Zahav
Tzamoh Nafshi
L'Ma'ancha
Mi Adir/Mi Ban Siyach (any of several)
Hamal'ach haGo'el
Tov l'Hodos (any of several)
Essa Einai (ditto)
Eitz Chayim (ditto)

If none of the above, look through the track listings of some of your favourite albums for inspiration:
Rabbis' Sons
MDB
Carlebach
D'veykus
Fried
Lev Tahor
Shalsheles
NY/London/Miami/Pirchei
V'Havieinu
etc.
Hope these help.
Mazal Tov again, and hatzlachah. When you are ready to fit the lyrics to the tune, I can help out (with rhyming or checking the grammer, syntax, etc.) if you want to PM me.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:04 pm
Wow thank you so much for your throughout response. I am so far from musically savvy. I’m looking for a slow but Beaty song, where I can just write my lyrics to it. Not sad, something that has a bit of a beat to it. I don’t even know how to describe it

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:05 pm
Thank you so much for all the recommendations!!!

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:26 pm
By my wedding my sisters sang to me the song Little Bird by the London Girls Choir. It was beautiful and emotional. Not sure if that helps you.

Choirmistress

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:25 am
Hi, OP.
I gave you tips on how to describe it. Do you want something wistful and poignant?
Try the slow, minor-key 3/4 Kol Dodi (Rabbis' Sons? D'veykus?); Davka Nafshi (NY? Pirchei?); Choneini (forget the artist; picture of brick wall in purple on the cover); Yachel Yisroel; Tzoma Nafshi (D'veykus); Nishmas (Shalsheles?); Olatz (V'Havieinu?); et cetera.
It's the wee hours of the morning here and I need a bit of shuteye, but I may be able to give you a few more ideas tomorrow iy"H.

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 10:52 am
Ive written 4 wedding songs in the past (for sisters & friends)
You need to know what you want to say in the song, before choosing a tune.
Do you want it to be a chilled, happy song, or a slow poignant emotional song. that way the lyrics will come easily
The tune needs to match your feelings

Choirmistress

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 4:16 pm
With all due respect to Candycane, this is to the OP:
Going by my own experience, sometimes an individual composer has words and even rhyming line endings in mind already, sometimes it's the melody that is inspired first.
Whether or not you have lyrics and even rhyming endings in mind, you must first decide, according to the mood/tone/emotions you wish to evoke in the audience, on the rhythm and the pace. (As I had described two posts earlier.)
To me, it sounded as though you were thinking of something in a minor key, but with a strong 3/4 or 4/4 beat, such as Choneini.
So first think of the mood and the pace, then the rhythm (e.g., 3/4 or 4/4).
THEN fit the lyrics to the tune, whether or not you already have rhyming line endings in mind.
You will have a hard time fitting your ideas into words, let alone rhyming them, if you haven't yet established whether they are going to be mentally counted as ONE-two-three-ONE-two-three or ONE-two-THREE-four ONE-two-THREE-four.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 7:54 pm
Thank you so much appreciated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts