Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Potato kugel HELP
  Previous  1  2  3  11  12  13

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 10:30 pm
Apples wrote:
Op, thanks for this thread! It was a fun read! Just to give you some more ideas, ill share how I make potato kugel. I do a mix of regular loose potatoes and Yukon gold. I don't like Yukon gold by itself, but it definitely enhances the kugel. So a mix of both works well. And I also half of the potatoes fine shredded and half grated. I like the texture of the shredded, but not fully shredded, then its too much. So half and half was a great compromise! One more thing, I add the eggs after the potatoes are processed without beating it first. I find when the eggs are beaten the tend to settle more on the bottom of the kugel.
Hope this helps you in any way!

Hi, I’m glad you enjoyed reading it as much as we enjoyed eating it…

Personally I love the shredded and grated mix. I grew up with what my kids call stringy kugel. But somehow this isn’t considered heimish kugel. There are some very strict kugel rules around here.

You’re the first one mentioning not to beat the eggs first. Although everyone warned not to over mix it.

I am going to experiment with Yukon and Idaho as some people suggested that mix as well.

I will not bore you all with how many LBS of potatoes I ordered.
And eggs.
And oil.
But this time I told the neighborhood there will be lots of kugel and cholent available on Thursday.

Oh, I also ordered sour pickles and Cole slaw in case they need to drown out all the flopped ones.

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 10:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi, I’m glad you enjoyed reading it as much as we enjoyed eating it…

Personally I love the shredded and grated mix. I grew up with what my kids call stringy kugel. But somehow this isn’t considered heimish kugel. There are some very strict kugel rules around here.

You’re the first one mentioning not to beat the eggs first. Although everyone warned not to over mix it.

I am going to experiment with Yukon and Idaho as some people suggested that mix as well.

I will not bore you all with how many LBS of potatoes I ordered.
And eggs.
And oil.
But this time I told the neighborhood there will be lots of kugel and cholent available on Thursday.

Oh, I also ordered sour pickles and Cole slaw in case they need to drown out all the flopped ones.

Where do you live???

(Im coming. I hope it doesn’t involve airfare.)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 10:42 pm
amother Lily wrote:
Where do you live???

(Im coming. I hope it doesn’t involve airfare.)

If I wouldn’t be so internet paranoid I sure would invite everyone. This whole party is thanks to some super kind women on here who took the time to respond and help out.

To all my neighbors on here. Hi..I specifically chose to go anonymous because someone is bound to figure me out , at least my screen name should stay private.

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 11:23 pm
Could someone please tell me which page of this thread had OPs favorite recipe? Thanks

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 11:36 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
Could someone please tell me which page of this thread had OPs favorite recipe? Thanks

I didn’t post it on here , for some reason it got derailed on the cholent thread.
I was /am scared to offend someone.

But lll post it now.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 11:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
I didn’t post it on here , for some reason it got derailed on the cholent thread.
I was /am scared to offend someone.

But lll post it now.

I don’t know how to link that post so I copied and pasted.

This was voted as the number 1 kugel recipe

Potato kugel (unit 6)

Preheat oven to 500

9 potatoes
9 eggs
One cup water
1 and 1/2 flat tablespoon table salt

1/8 tsp crystal vitamin c..( keeps the Kugel white)

1 and 1/3 cup oil

Mix eggs , salt, water, vitamin c
First in the processor with the s blade for a quick 8-10 seconds or less.
Add potatoes grated with kugel blade.
Pour into a 9x13 pan lined with parchment paper.

I’ll add here that I use a large piece of parchment, crumble it up and then open it back up, this way it stays put in the pan.
This note was added to prove that I have some tricks too!!!

Add oil by hand
Mix all together quickly

Bake on 500 first 1/2 hr
Then lower to 350 for another 1.5 hrs

To overnight - which was the preferred method with my kids-

Then pour hot water over it .. cover super tightly
Bake on 200 for another 5 hrs

Then
Hearty appetite!!

Use a double 9x13 pan
Bake on a lined cookie sheet to catch the spills and drips
I use a real cookie sheet pan lined with parchment. It bakes better and the parchment helps the cookie sheet stay clean.

Immediately after baking wipe down your oven as you might find some spackles here and there especially on the oven door glass.

For tips on how to clean the oven let me know..
Page 13 of 13   Previous  1  2  3  11  12  13 Recent Topics