Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Keeping one kid out & Allowing one kid in.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 2:12 pm
My 3 yo is just about toilet trained and my 1yo just figured out how to open the bathroom door lever handle. Any ideas for a way to keep the baby out that's still not too hard nor too time consuming for 3yo to get in.

Also is a toilet a drowning hazard?

amother
Peru

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 2:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
My 3 yo is just about toilet trained and my 1yo just figured out how to open the bathroom door lever handle. Any ideas for a way to keep the baby out that's still not too hard nor too time consuming for 3yo to get in.

Also is a toilet a drowning hazard?

To answer your second question first, YES, it definitely is a drowning hazard.

I would get a toilet seat lock and teach the 3yo how to open it. He will need to make sure to lock it again after use.

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 2:22 pm
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D.....ss_tl

My toddler knows how to use this.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 2:23 pm
amother Peru wrote:
To answer your second question first, YES, it definitely is a drowning hazard.

I would get a toilet seat lock and teach the 3yo how to open it. He will need to make sure to lock it again after use.

All my 3yo accidents are right in front of the toilet. I'm afraid that last minute step will make it much worse.

amother
Honeysuckle

I would take the 3 year old to the bathroom myself & make sure the door get closed afterwards.
Yes, a toilet is a drowning hazard.

teachkids

We used to just put a heavy bottle of soap on the toilet

GrowingUp

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 2:41 pm
Switch out the lever handle for a standard round doorknob. It will take a few more months for your one year old to figure out, but it should give you enough time for this particular problem.

Did this for all the “sensitive spots” so my toddler can’t easily get in. Bathrooms, basement, exterior doors and my older daughters bedroom.

amother
Clover

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 2:43 pm
I personally know someone who lost her baby from drowning in the toilet. He climbed in head first when no one was watching and that’s how he was found- lifeless.
Please don’t let your baby go into the bathroom. Better the older child should have some accidents than a toddler drowning.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 3:22 pm
amother Clover wrote:
I
Please don’t let your baby go into the bathroom. Better the older child should have some accidents than a toddler drowning.

Ok duh. I'm not allowing my 1yo to get in the bathroom but I'm sure there's still solutions out there that don't necessarily require my 3yo to pee on the floor.

bsy

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 4:14 pm
I changed my lever doorknob to a round one. It's less than 10 dollars from Walmart and I did it myself

SingALong

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 7:46 pm
I once got a great child safety lock for the toilet that my 3 year old was able to open and my. I actually went to my local hardware store and told the man I needed a lock for the 1 yr old that the 3 yr old can do. He said ah, so only authorized users can open the toilet. I’m like yeah exactly. It was an easy stick on lock. Meant for fridge doors and cabinet doors, I’ll try to post link

SingALong

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 7:49 pm
Safety Custom fit all purpose strap. But you need to make sure to lock it after your 3 yr old, he won’t remember to

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 8:08 pm
SingALong wrote:
Safety Custom fit all purpose strap. But you need to make sure to lock it after your 3 yr old, he won’t remember to

My 3yo can't open that, I have it on my freezer. Can't Believe It Can't Believe It Banging head

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 8:11 pm
Have your 3 year old tell you when he needs the bathroom? All my kids that age wanted help.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 10:19 pm
You might not like this idea, but keep it locked, have your 3yo tell you when he needs it, and have an emergency potty outside that he can use when you can't get there in time and he can't wait.

You can also try to offset these instances by reminding him to go to the bathroom at times when you're available, and hopefully eventually he'll learn not to wait until it's an emergency. It's very common for kids to get really absorbed in what they're doing and ignore that they need to go until the very last second.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics