Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Budget for kids' MM- PLEASE WEIGH IN
Previous  1  2

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 6:59 am
My issue is more about the amount of nosh they get back. I'm more than happy for them to give everyone they want but can't handle the huge pile of junk they end up with, and they get so upset when we limit what they can keep

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:14 am
amother Pewter wrote:
My issue is more about the amount of nosh they get back. I'm more than happy for them to give everyone they want but can't handle the huge pile of junk they end up with, and they get so upset when we limit what they can keep

If they want to give to everyone, some it has to come out if what they got. It's their choice, but you can encourage them to recycle. (Most adults also do this, and recycles some portion of what they get.)

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:15 am
In my family (ages 4-15)- it's 5-6 mm we deliver per kid, not including neighbor friends. I do prepare at least 5 extra per kid for the kids who come to our house. (Some of my kids arrange in advance for a friend or two to come to our house, if they are at their limit of deliveries).

Kids mm is usually in the $1-2 range, so it's not so much about the cost here- it's more about the stress and hecticness of running around all day and delivering!

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:23 am
I don't know what I end up paying honestly but I for the bag/box in with their costumes. They give to all cousins their age plus friends. I am asking like 10 for my 3 year old. Other kids probably closer to 15. I don't go crazy or really count it. If it's left over it's fine.
We usually put similar stuff in all kids ones.

amother
Diamond

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:39 am
I've made about 100 mm for 4 kids. The kids give the kids their age on the block and then some other friends come by. I try to keep the packaging cheap, so we don't have to waste money on something that will be thrown out.

I shop the sales. Usually ill put in a soda can, snack, exciting nosh and some small less exciting nosh. Sometimes I put in a little prize if it ties into the theme.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 9:14 am
I don't have that age yet, I have the age that I have to actually create their MM from start to finish. But my mother always bought a bunch of nosh in bulk, and probably cellophane bags or similar, and we could use what we needed. I don't remember there being a limit on how many. From age ten or so, I would use my money to supplement what was available, gradually doing that more until I was buying everything for myself.

Gt

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 12:29 pm
amother Pewter wrote:

In my neighborhood there is a dentist who pays the kids to donate post Purim nosh tomche Shabbos. How fantastic is that. Maybe there is something similar in your area ? Or almost any mesivta/Bais medrash would be happy for the donation of packaged goods for their lunchroom/coffeeroom.

voira

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 1:16 pm
If I do my kids MM to match their costumes I can get away with cheaper - This year each MM costs $1.50

baltomom

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 1:30 pm
I generally prepare about 10 per kids, but tell kids they can choose 5-6 friends to deliver to; others we'll give if they come to us or we bump into them on our rounds. I try to have them choose one kid they think won't get so many MM to give to. They probably cost about $1.50 each. To make the preteens happy, I try to choose "cooler" nosh like, say, Pringles instead of a bag of chips (buy in bulk at Costco or Target). Also if the packaging goes with the theme it's automatically cool even if the contents are not so special. For example, one year my kids dressed up as road workers and we packed the kids MM in a large cup, taped the top shut and then turned it upside down and wrapped an orange napkin around it so it looked like a traffic cone.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics