Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Childrens costumes

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 11:52 pm
Just curious. How do you do costumes in your house? Do the kids dress up as they want? Do you make a them and insist that they take part? Basically,just wondering how it works by others.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 11:55 pm
my kids are still little (oldest is 5) so I still get to decide what theyre being dressed up as

amother
Kiwi

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 11:59 pm
My kids age 7 and under are very involved in the matching costumes ideas. I usually discuss it with them and we come up with something we all agree on.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 12:11 am
I let my oldest 4 year old decide what he wantd to dress up as this year, and we are all going along with his theme

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 12:53 am
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
my kids are still little (oldest is 5) so I still get to decide what theyre being dressed up as

But we discuss it together and we talk about what they're being dressed up as and I buy a toy or I go visit a place that has to do with the costume so they really know and understand what the theme is about and they're thrilled for Purim and really count down the days when they can be a real farmer, police.... Whatever it is but it's not just putting on a costume and have no idea what it is Zcu. CC. Om

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:11 am
Once our oldest was old enough to express an interest in a costume we give the kids a lot of latitude to choose for themselves and then incorporate everyone's costume into a theme somehow. Sometimes they only express an interest in a category, like they want to be an animal, so we choose the one that best fits a family theme.

For example, last year we did the Wizard of Oz because our teenager wanted to be a witch and one kid who wanted to be a an animal was the lion and another kid who doesn't like to dress up was happy to wear a flannel shirt and jeans as the Scarecrow and our youngest, who had no idea what the Wizard of Oz was, was given a choice to be a monkey or the Tin Man and chose the Tin Man because he wanted to carry an axe.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:17 am
My oldest loves themes. Every year I think maybe we've reached the stage where we've outgrown them, but so far we're still going!

My trick is to choose a theme that allows for lots of different costumes within the same theme, and for each child we think of costumes within the theme that they like and fit with their personality. I don't think I would do a theme where everyone dresses exactly the same.

It helps that they wear whatever costumes they want for the school dress up days anyway, I don't let the younger ones wear their carefully curated / hand made purim ones - so everyone still gets their chance to be what they want.

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:23 am
They each choose their own costume. They match their own MM to their costume and make a "theme" if they so choose.
I make classic MM and give out to the adults from the family.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics