Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Security camera/eye
Previous  1  2

If you have a security camera
We asked a rav and were told to turn it off  
 14%  [ 7 ]
We asked a rav and were told there’s no issue with leaving it on  
 24%  [ 12 ]
We didn’t ask and keep it on  
 46%  [ 23 ]
We didn’t ask and turn it off  
 10%  [ 5 ]
Other  
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 50

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:25 pm
We asked a Rav about our motion activated Rings, and he said it's not a problem. Simply walking by something and it turning on is not problematic if you don't want it to turn on. So because it's meant to record other people and not us it's ok. He said we shouldn't look back at the footage of us. It would be more of a problem if you want it to record, like a poster mentioned recording their Jewish grandfather. Also, if a door or window has a sensor that's more of a problem because your action is directly causing a light or whatever to turn on.
Yeshivish Lakewood rav

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 1:04 am
amother Cyan wrote:
We have security cameras , not ring door bells, that recording is motion activated.
We were told for shabbos to either 1. Set recording to go continuously - not motion activated or 2. Turn off our house monitors on shabbos. So cameras are on and recording but we can't view them on shabbos

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by motion activated

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 11:00 am
amother Mint wrote:
We asked a Rav about our motion activated Rings, and he said it's not a problem. Simply walking by something and it turning on is not problematic if you don't want it to turn on. So because it's meant to record other people and not us it's ok. He said we shouldn't look back at the footage of us. It would be more of a problem if you want it to record, like a poster mentioned recording their Jewish grandfather. Also, if a door or window has a sensor that's more of a problem because your action is directly causing a light or whatever to turn on.
Yeshivish Lakewood rav

So as long as you don’t care to look at the footage from Shabbos, it’s not a problem to leave it on, according to your Rav?

We have Ring cameras and I thought we should probably turn them off, but my husband says it’s not a problem and refuses to ask or turn off.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 11:03 am
amother OP wrote:

There are cameras that people use on their doors that only record if there is movement in the vicinity of the camera. If nothing is going on near the house, they don’t record. They are activated by motion. It’s the same as lights in front of houses that turn on only when someone walks by. Are those problematic?

yaakovsmom

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 11:59 am
I have a Rong doorbell and was told that because it send the footage and alerts to my phone, I should turn my phone off over Shabbos. So it doesn't make any sounds over Shabbos, but the recording is there afterwards.

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 12:06 pm
amother OP wrote:

We have cameras that during the week record all the time but they send notifications and create kind of a little clip every time there's movement in front of the camera. It's helpful if you're trying to go back and see something you just look through the clips. On Shabbos we turn off the sensor so it records the whole time and if we want to go check the cameras it's a lot more footage to review. We asked a Rav and this was an option he was ok with.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 12:07 pm
You really must ask your own shaila. It depends on what kind of system, how your sect paskens, and more specifically different hold what you are and are not allowed to do.

If you aren't going to ask, there are a few excellent shmiras shabbos sfarim in English that spell things out very well. We bring them to the table and learn a page each shabbos. Its been eye opening and very informative despite learning so well in school all the years, I keep learning new things that I didn't know.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note