Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
My plus-size shopping rant
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

DreamerForever

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 6:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
When you're severely overweight clothes shopping is a drag. Inventory is more limited, and you have to go through so many try-ons to find something you look passable in. You feel like poop remembering the good old days when everything you put on looked pretty darn good and the hardest part of shopping was narrowing down what to take home and what to leave behind. You stand there critiquing ever lump and bump on your oversized body. You wonder what's wrong with the people designing clothes for your size - they all seem to be some sausage casing for you to squeeze into in an attempt to dress like your skinny friends, or they are moomoos that make you feel like a beached whale.
But today insult was added to injury. Three of the four stores I went to shop in informed me they are no longer carrying plus sizes.
So yay, no I move from a bad shopping experience to a no shopping experience. I get the joy of doing all (ok most) of my shopping online so I can try on a hundred things at my house and after I'm thoroughly depressed I can have the task of packaging up and returning by mail 98 of those 100 things. Woohoo!
Thanks, world.
Rant done.

Completely get you, op Hug

And your op made me laugh; I love you-- every last kilo of you Laugh

How are ppl brave enough to flaunt a dress at (frum sized) 4XL?? Not me Can't Believe It

GLUE

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 6:59 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:
Chinese sizing is based on the average sizes of Chinese people. It really doesn't make sense to use it for clothes marketed primarily toward Americans or Europeans.

The clothing sold in Target ect.. is made in the same type of factories as the clothing made for Frum stores. If the factories dictate the size why are the sizes so different?

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 7:18 pm
GLUE wrote:
The clothing sold in Target ect.. is made in the same type of factories as the clothing made for Frum stores. If the factories dictate the size why are the sizes so different?

They use different proportions. It’s more inclusive sizing and always runs big.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:00 pm
It’s a quality control issue, and therefore cost issue. The higher end brands always have more consistent sizing. Also, just because frum clothing is expensive doesn’t mean that you are getting good quality!
There is no comparison quality wise between frum clothing and the equivalent price range in non frum clothing.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 1:46 am
amother Pink wrote:
Daniella Faye is definitely not cheaper than what I suggested. They sell her stuff there lol

Everything at tamari is 300+. I get Daniella Faye on her many sales. Haven't paid for than 200 for a peice. Tamari on sale has nothing left at the end of season and still is at least 250.

Most my Daniella Faye stuff were 100 or less at the end of season.

mummy85

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 2:47 am
Where is this Daniella Faye store? I wear a 50/52 in Israeli sizes. I HATE SHOPPING. for 2 reasons, one I don't like shopping and two it's depressing.
I own so little clothes and what I do own is worn out and doesn't sit right.
I'm looking for new clothes AND affordable. Weekday and Shabbos (although I keep telling myself I can't buy until I lose weight- HAHA)

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 3:01 am
mummy85 wrote:
Where is this Daniella Faye store? I wear a 50/52 in Israeli sizes. I HATE SHOPPING. for 2 reasons, one I don't like shopping and two it's depressing.
I'm looking for new clothes AND affordable. Weekday and Shabbos (although I keep telling myself I can't buy until I lose weight- HAHA)

Shes a designer, it's a small business. She lives in Efrat and that her warehouse but she does pop up stores in RBS a ton. Also someone in RBS sells her stuff out of there house.

She also sells online. She might sell in other places too, I just live in RBS so I don't really pay attention to if she posts other places. You can reach out to her through her website or Instagram about where you can shop her stuff in person if you like to try on in person.

mummy85

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 3:17 am
amother Pearl wrote:
Shes a designer, it's a small business. She lives in Efrat and that her warehouse but she does pop up stores in RBS a ton. Also someone in RBS sells her stuff out of there house.

She also sells online. She might sell in other places too, I just live in RBS so I don't really pay attention to if she posts other places. You can reach out to her through her website or Instagram about where you can shop her stuff in person if you like to try on in person.

Thanks. I live in RBS..I've seen the name, but never really looked. I skip most sales advertised as they usually don't have my size.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 5:56 am
mummy85 wrote:

You may try out Elegante Paris in BB (maybe also in jlm) they have good basic skirts up to size 52 and maybe even more. Also Chayuta be Large in BB.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 8:52 am
Those who have bought/ wear Daniella Faye... I am looking at website. There is no plus size category and so far everything I click on is only to XL. Size chart says XL is 20-24. Is that real 20-24, like would be considered a 2x or 3x in a regular American store?

ETA: Finally clicked on something that showed 2x and 3x sizes. I guess I just have to fish around.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 9:54 am
amother OP wrote:
Those who have bought/ wear Daniella Faye... I am looking at website. There is no plus size category and so far everything I click on is only to XL. Size chart says XL is 20-24. Is that real 20-24, like would be considered a 2x or 3x in a regular American store?

ETA: Finally clicked on something that showed 2x and 3x sizes. I guess I just have to fish around.

Yeah not everyone comes in plus size but a lot does! If you message her she's super helpful and will answer your questions. If you are on Instagram alyssa Goldwater has a whole highlight of trying on Daniella Faye plus size stuff and I think she even got an xl in something

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 10:22 am
amother Springgreen wrote:
Beutiful in monsey is great store but I can't afford to shop there for everyday stuff. If I have a close simcha or some other major event I would definitely check them out and I always find there.
I usually end up order stuff by shein and returning 75% of stuff.

Separate ANNOYING thing about frum clothing being SO OFF WITH SIZING
I remember as a pre-teen/teen crying in the dressing room that I need an XXL when in Macy's I was a M or L
As an adult it is upsetting and when I get home from a shopping experience I am in a terrible mood. . But I can't handle it for all the self conscious young teens who haven't yet learned to be comfortable in their own skin and they need a 3x or 4x when they are really an xL

This !
Im So so sad for my beautiful teen daughter when she tries on in the stores. Sad

GLUE

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 4:04 pm
amother Steel wrote:
They use different proportions. It’s more inclusive sizing and always runs big.

This does not explain why the Frum stores use small sizes. If other stores can use inclusive sizing why can't the Frum stores do to?

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 5:12 pm
I'm 5'3, size 12/14 and I have a closet stuffed with beautiful, trendy clothing. I hardly shop at Jewish stores because of the sizing like everyone on here said.
I know one person wrote that the Point stuff doesn't fit her and she's my size but I fit nicely into most of the Large and XL from there. So I have a ton of their basics.
But most of my clothing comes from
Aloyoga, Lululemon, Zara, H&M, ASOS, and COS.
I find that today it is easier than ever to find flattering plus size clothing. Especially because styles are different. There's a lot of looser more forgiving silhouettes.
I remember being this size a few years ago and having zero clothing.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 5:23 pm
mummy85 wrote:
Thanks. I live in RBS..I've seen the name, but never really looked. I skip most sales advertised as they usually don't have my size.

Definitely go to hers

liz3210

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 5:29 pm
I hear you girl truthfully most of the stores do not cater to big sizes and like you say the clothes seem to be built for only skinny people and sometimes it feels like you can't even put one foot into a dress. I like to shop online like Shien they have all the sizes and its easy to return the clothes if they dont fit plus there prices are decent.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 5:30 pm
amother OP wrote:

I just checked out her website it seems like for the summer collection most of the things aren't in plus size, I am not sure why. If you look at things from the winter collection pretty much everything came up to 3x

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 5:35 pm
Fame has lots of plus size options

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 5:38 pm
amother Grape wrote:
Fame has lots of plus size options

Plus size in Fame is a joke. I wear a 12/14 and barely fit into their 4xs.

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 7:25 pm
Beautifull in Monsey
Faigy’s in BP
The perfectfit in Queens I think
My dream dress in BP
Fame carries but again sizing is usually off
June’s carries but sizing is off too
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics