Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Scoliosis - 12 YO

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:02 am
Hoping someone who has experienced this can give me some info.
DD, 12 has Scoliosis. Curvature went from 20-26 in the last three months. Dr would like a brace for the nights. Based on online reading, it cannot be cured, but the idea would be to prevent it from worsening. But some websites say that there's no evidence that a brace actually helps. Would hate to put her through that for nothing. I had thought there were exercises for that, but online seems to say otherwise.

I'm assuming there are many people here who had that issue. What steps did you take? Did they help?

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:10 am
I didn’t do anything. Not sure where my scoliosis is. I know it’s my upper back.

My cousin had a brace not sure how long she wore it for but she has a perfect posture all the time.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:12 am
amother Currant wrote:
I didn’t do anything. Not sure where my scoliosis is. I know it’s my upper back.

My cousin had a brace not sure how long she wore it for but she has a perfect posture all the time.

thank you. Anyone else? (Who can then say they went back after x time and what happened to the curvature numbers)

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:14 am
Just got told my kid has a 17 degree curvature- up from 9 last year. Dr said brace now at nights or come back in 4 months and if it hits 20 he will want the kid in a brace full time. If it gets really bad they need surgery. We chose to brace now just at nights but it will take a month for the brace to be ready.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:19 am
I just took my daughter to an orthopedist for scoliosis and he recommended physical therapy.
There are therapists who specialize in pediatric scoliosis and it's worthit to look into it.
It's also really important to catch it before puberty so now is the time to take care of - before their growth spurt
Good luck with your decisions

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:21 am
I wore a back brace for 3 years
The main point is to prevent the curvature from getting worse.
It was successful for me and I have zero effects on my daily life
Exercise did not help and that is why my dr put me in a brace until I stopped growing
Feel free to ask me questions and I will try to answer

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:27 am
I wore a back brace for a few years because of scoliosis in my lumbar spine. They caught it right before I started puberty so I wore it full time until I had done my main growth spurt. I don't know what would have been without it, but it didn't get worse at all. I should have done physio after though because my back has always been weak and my posture very poor.

tweety1

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:38 am
amother OP wrote:
Hoping someone who has experienced this can give me some info.
DD, 12 has Scoliosis. Curvature went from 20-26 in the last three months. Dr would like a brace for the nights. Based on online reading, it cannot be cured, but the idea would be to prevent it from worsening. But some websites say that there's no evidence that a brace actually helps. Would hate to put her through that for nothing. I had thought there were exercises for that, but online seems to say otherwise.

I'm assuming there are many people here who had that issue. What steps did you take? Did they help?

Somebody in my family avoided surgery with the brace. It had to be worn for the most part of the day.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:46 am
I wore a back brace for about a year (full time), during my peak growth spurt. My curvature stayed the same and did not get worse during that time.

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:46 am
Also want to add
That at first I only wore at at night but my curvature was still progressing.
I then switched to wearing it almost the whole day and then it stopped progressing

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:00 am
My dr when I was a kid told me to take up certain types of sport regularly and it may correct it.

My cousin became a regular dancer, someone else I know ice skater, and I know they improved.

I would think yoga and pilates would also correct it.

My friend had a brace and later had surgery to correct it.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:52 am
You definitely want to do everything in your power to prevent any further progress.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 9:36 am
I was wondering if physical therapy specifically targeting this could work, but I'm not sure I have the liberty of time to find out. I think the one person below who wrote they wore it at night, it was still progressing and they wore during day too and it stopped seems to prove that a brace does work. I just feel like it would be hard to sleep in, and uncomfortable, and if during day, embarrassing. But of course health first.

Anyone on Fidelis, in Monsey that has a dr they'd recommend? And did anyone get an actual brace covered under Fidelis?

amother
Forsythia

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 9:38 am
There's a link between tongue ties and scoliosis. Also, I'd look into craniosacral therapy

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 10:31 am
Chirproctor and pt def help I had a brace for a few years wore for 23 hours it helped not getting worse but not enough to push it down. Had surgery and it was the biggest mistake of my life’s my father still apologies to me for its there where many times I couldn’t walk front rh back pain. The part that didn’t go In the rods deteriorated very badly. I get shots meds tons units… swimming and palates helped the most. Get the brace do PT chiropractor, swim and palates. DO not do surgery unless in pain.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 11:05 am
amother DarkCyan wrote:
I wore a back brace for about a year (full time), during my peak growth spurt. My curvature stayed the same and did not get worse during that time.

Exact same experience.
My daughter had a brace for 2 years. Her curvature also didn't change in that time. By the time both she and I removed the brace, we had both stopped growing so no further changes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics