Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Please help - What is going on with my 5 year old? - UPDATE
Previous  1  2

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 9:17 pm
Maybe stay in her room, even on a blanket on the floor, one night. Through the whole entire night.

Maybe there are indeed neighbor noises you don't know about. If it's a house, there might be squirrels thumping around in the attic or stray cats squalling.

First she didn't want to go to school. She knew she would be home, and therefore with you, all day.

Now she will go to school, but, she gets odd at night. Because she is not with you at night. She is in her own room, without you.

At five, even though smart and communicative, she does not have the ability to say, "there are stray cats outside yelling and it sounds like horrible things." That advanced, nobody is, at five. She doesn't know what a stray cat is.

If you are in the country, could be other animals or hooting owls or coyotes or who knows. Or even drunken people on the road making noise. Or passing sirens, ambulances.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 9:28 pm
You can't just do a strep test.
Do rapid, overnight, blood titers, and perianal.
I'm shocked you didn't ask for full bloodwork as well. Maybe it's mono or something else.
Whatever it is definitely sounds physical.
(And btw my pandas kid had the same symptoms initially(

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 3:11 am
I agree that you didn't rule out strep properly.

I would also personally give 2 doses of pin x just in case. It's a very benign medication and we all carry parasites to some degree so it can't really hurt and if her behavior gets better you'll know what it is.

You can also do the ibuprophen/benadryl trial. If the tantrums subside, there's a good chance she has brain inflammation going on.

Another thing that comes to mind is celiac. I would ask for a celiac panel.

amother
Seablue

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:11 am
Also check for lice, I find it makes my kids act off

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:24 am
I would request a full blood panel including mono and strep titers, signs of inflammation etc
This definitely sounds physical.

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:26 am
Sounds like a trauma response to me or anxiety. I’d go to a psychologist to see if you can get to the bottom of it.

fauxreal

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 11:27 am
Putting PANDAS here because it can manifest itself as so many random symptoms.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 11:43 am
Wow, thanks everyone.

Sleep in her room - that's a good idea. she does sleep directly under the attic. (She's not alone, she shares a room.)

I agree - I asked my husband to ask the Dr for strep titers - I don't know why they didn't do it. (They did do an overnight).

I agree- the doctor didn't really do a thorough check - with all these things you mentioned. We may have to go back.

Some really good ideas here. I'm going to talk to my husband and see which ones we can do.

How do get my dd on board with getting blood drawn? with taking medicines (pin x; benedryl; motrin)? It's not going to be easy to get her go along with that stuff.

I think there is an attachment component going on although I don't know why - I made especially sure to spend a lot of time with her yesterday. And then at bedtime she started to cry that we didn't spend time together. But I was able to clearly tell her - yes, we did this together and we did that together, etc...But it didn't help. She wanted more. But that's definitely not the whole story.

Thank you everyone!

Brit in Israel

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:09 pm
OP I hope you find what's going on with DD.
To help with late afternoon naps and being off schedule if she does fall asleep in the afternoon don't let her sleep more then 10-20 mins. It's just enough to refresh the exhaustion but not enough to ruin the night sleep.

Treat for worms. Ask your Dr for Vermox and tell her it's to help her get better. My son was suddenly dirtying his underpants but didn't have any itching or even waking up at night. My other kid had worms so I also gave it to him and the dirty underwear stopped. Some people don't itch it could be she is uncomfortable from it.
Does she show anxiety in areas? My 4 yr old wasn't feeling well in school, when I fetched him early he definitely wasn't well. Once he was better and I sent him back to school on a Friday he didn't want to go back, he was so anxious of feeling how he did that day he made himself feel ill. His ganenet thought I had sent him whilst still not well (the day prior and that morning he was completely himself until I said you are going to school) after 30 mins at home he was back himself. Once we discussed that feeling was because xyz and now your are better and at home you feel good in school you will also he calmed down enough. After we realised we know how he acted with other things were from anxiety.
Could she be afraid from an incident that happened?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for all your ideas.

I don't think so for any of them....

she typically would tell me if anything like that was bothering her. (except when she's in a tantrum).

I just can't figure it out.

Could it be lym disease from a tick?

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:44 pm
Any changes at home, new baby?

amother
Electricblue

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:52 pm
Did you try talking with her to try to figure out if something might have happened that day at school?

amother
Electricblue

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:56 pm
amother OP wrote:

I have no idea what's going on with her.

She does complain about tummy aches and "all over" not feeling well - but she is acting completely fine physically. And eating totally normally.

Her symptoms are irritablity/tantrums, difficulty falling asleep, and night wakings.

All ideas welcome

All this can be from anxiety.

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 4:22 pm
amother Electricblue wrote:
All this can be from anxiety.
Anxiety is a symptom, not a cause

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 4:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
Wow, thanks everyone.

Sleep in her room - that's a good idea. she does sleep directly under the attic. (She's not alone, she shares a room.)

I agree - I asked my husband to ask the Dr for strep titers - I don't know why they didn't do it. (They did do an overnight).

I agree- the doctor didn't really do a thorough check - with all these things you mentioned. We may have to go back.

Some really good ideas here. I'm going to talk to my husband and see which ones we can do.

How do get my dd on board with getting blood drawn? with taking medicines (pin x; benedryl; motrin)? It's not going to be easy to get her go along with that stuff.

I think there is an attachment component going on although I don't know why - I made especially sure to spend a lot of time with her yesterday. And then at bedtime she started to cry that we didn't spend time together. But I was able to clearly tell her - yes, we did this together and we did that together, etc...But it didn't help. She wanted more. But that's definitely not the whole story.

Thank you everyone!

That's not attachment. Attachment has nothing to do here.
It's separation anxiety

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 4:50 pm
Pardon a crazy idea. Is there anybody or any thing snugged into your attic and living there? Have a look up there. (Your husband.)

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 4:51 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
Anxiety is a symptom, not a cause

Nope it’s a cause. There are anxiety disorders they are real and we can’t erase it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics