Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
9 yr old dd-putting to bed before megilla
Previous  1  2

amother
Red

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 10:29 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
I'm almost positive the shulchan aruch says to have a meal tonight (no need to wash).

Well yeah it’s usually post fast so we have a post fast meal.

patzer

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 10:38 pm
I would think that even people who aren't usually particular about eating a meal Purim night, would be sure to eat melave malka tonight.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 10:47 pm
My 1.5 year old is dancing at our Purim party right now. We’re heimish, never knew litvish people don’t do anything Purim night.

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 10:52 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
My 1.5 year old is dancing at our Purim party right now. We’re heimish, never knew litvish people don’t do anything Purim night.

He must have had a good nap! Happy Purim!

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 10:54 pm
patzer wrote:
I would think that even people who aren't usually particular about eating a meal Purim night, would be sure to eat melave malka tonight.

My husbands shul had some food after Megillah so he ate something but mine doesn’t (late reading) no plans to eat but I’m hungry so maybe cereal? Definitely no intentionality behind it just hunger

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 11:03 pm
None of my kids go at night. 10 and under. It is way too late here and my kids have a hard time being quiet.
I think it depends on your children too. Mine don't do well with late nights and too little sleep. I told my 10 year old he can go tomorrow with DH if he is up and quiet. (Dh does neitz... and he is too old to come to ladies side with me.)

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 11:25 pm
I grew up yeshivish in town and never heard of a seuda Purim night until right now. I mean it’s usually after a fast, so we break the fast and have dinner, but the real seuda is tomorrow. I think if it was mainstream in my community I would have heard of it by now.

amother
Snow

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 11:26 pm
We all went to the regular megillah reading in shul just after 8 PM. The shul had a party afterwards for the kids, so my kids didn't go to bed until after 10. It is what it is. Purim is a day to relax some of the rules.

Golde

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 11:27 pm
I let my 8 yo choose wether to come with us to megilla reading or stay home with the babysitter. She wanted to come along. My 10 yo went as well. She'll be tired tomorrow and we'll all suffer from it but I felt she was old enough to choose for herself.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 1:39 am
My 6 and 7 year olds went tonight and were back by 9. My 7 year old knew she had to go because she learned in school that she must hear it twice. They'll probably be a little extra tired tomorrow, but Purim is always a hectic day, and it's important to them. My younger ones stayed home and went to bed because they would be absolutely crazy tomorrow with going to bed late tonight.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:02 am
I'm surprised that your child wouldn't insist on hearing the megillah. If she goes to a regular bais Yaakov school or a chassidish school she probably knows megillah is read 2x. Every family in my shul had all their kids 6 and up listen to the Megillah. I know because this year I happen to have been at the regular Minyan. And the ladies Minyan. I made my kids nap on shabbos. In previous years I've gone with my kids to the ladies minyan or sent my kids 7-10 with a friend.

salt

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 3:45 am
Too late now, but she could have taken a nap on shabbos afternoon.
What does she do for seder night?
Kids take a nap the afternoon before and then they can stay up a little later.

camp123

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 5:16 am
You know what's best for your kids best. There's no mitzva to have overtired grumpy kids. When they are bar mitzva they have to stay up until then keeping them healthy and happy is the most important thing. Kids that need sleep need sleep, people who have kids that can manage won't understand that, and sometimes people won't accept that that's what their kids need, in such cases they'll suffer from it. Do what's right for your child.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:41 am
amother Pewter wrote:
My 6 and 7 year olds went tonight and were back by 9. My 7 year old knew she had to go because she learned in school that she must hear it twice. They'll probably be a little extra tired tomorrow, but Purim is always a hectic day, and it's important to them. My younger ones stayed home and went to bed because they would be absolutely crazy tomorrow with going to bed late tonight.

Where I live, the first reading started after 9 😜

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:58 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Where I live, the first reading started after 9 😜

Yeah.
I went to a 10:20 reading, waaay too late for my 9 year but did feel a little bad.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 8:36 am
9 year old to me is a no brainier I wouldn’t consider having them skip megillah if it’s something they want and are capable of sitting through. Boys go with dh, girls go with a neighbor to the first reading, I don’t offer the option of waiting to go later with me. They were home by 9:30 and in bed very shortly after. I don’t think the zman gets much later than this in the NY/NJ area. This is about as late as Purim gets.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:46 am
[quote="mommyhood"]9 year old to me is a no brainier I wouldn’t consider having them skip megillah if it’s something they want and are capable of sitting through. Boys go with dh, girls go with a neighbor to the first reading, I don’t offer the option of waiting to go later with me. They were home by 9:30 and in bed very shortly after. I don’t think the zman gets much later than this in the NY/NJ area. This is about as late as Purim gets.[/quote

We don't all live in NY...
My 9 year old tried taking a nap but couldn't really sleep and as it was we were all just waiting for her to go to sleep for the night. Think she ended up going to bed before 8...

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 6:30 pm
I took my 9.75 YO to an 845 PM reading. I can't imagine her missing megila.

My 7 YO went last night with DH and it was a disaster and so he didn't go this morning. (And no, he wasn't asleep when I came home after the 845 reading with DD.)

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:03 pm
giftedmom wrote:
You’re not doing a meal tonight? Full fledged late night party over here.

Sure we had a meal by night - melava malka! LOL
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics