Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Did I do the wrong thing?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 2:27 pm
We made an early shabbos. Usually dh puts up the blech b4 going to shul but I do it now since he leaves to shul early. This shabbos, I lit candles and forgot the blech. I noticed abt half an hr after lighting that the soup was still on an open flame. Within a second I put the blech up. Was that muktzah?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 2:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
We made an early shabbos. Usually dh puts up the blech b4 going to shul but I do it now since he leaves to shul early. This shabbos, I lit candles and forgot the blech. I noticed abt half an hr after lighting that the soup was still on an open flame. Within a second I put the blech up. Was that muktzah?

Yes. Once you accepted Shabbos, regardless of what time it was or how close to actual “candle lighting” time, it was officially Shabbos for you. It’s the same melacha.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 2:33 pm
amother OP wrote:

Yes, you did wrong. You cannot do melacha after you light candles.
(You should also ask a Rav when you're supposed to light candles when making early shabbos. You don't have to light when DH goes to shul. You light later.)

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 2:35 pm
It may not be a problem to put on a blech on Shabbos.

https://judaism.stackexchange......abbos

AYLOR for the future, but there is whom to rely on for the past.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 2:37 pm
For those responding about melacha, putting a blech on a fire may not be classified as a melacha.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 2:38 pm
OP, I think I misunderstood. You put the blech on the open flame & put the soup on the blech??
That may not be problematic, except if you picked up the soup off the flame, but it down on the counter or other surface, and then picked up the soup again to put it on the blech.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 2:43 pm
I took the soup off the flame to put the blech on. Then I put the pot back on the blech

amother
Bone

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 2:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
I took the soup off the flame to put the blech on. Then I put the pot back on the blech
I highly recommend you get a refresher on hilchos shabbos. Maybe you can learn together as a family.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 2:47 pm
amother OP wrote:

If you were holding the pot of soup the entire time, then it my not be problematic.
If you put down the soup while putting up the blech, that may be an issue.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 2:48 pm
amother Blush wrote:
OP, I think I misunderstood. You put the blech on the open flame & put the soup on the blech??
That may not be problematic, except if you picked up the soup off the flame, but it down on the counter or other surface, and then picked up the soup again to put it on the blech.

It's not the ideal way to do Chazara, but since OP did it right away and took it off with intention, it may be fine.

"Alternately, if one inadvertently put it down, he may replace it as long as he always intended to do so. See M.B. 253:56. The Chazon Ish (37:12) is lenient, even in the absence of both conditions."
https://www.star-k.org/article.....ment/

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 2:56 pm
OP:

For the future, clarify with your Rav.

But generally you can put a blech on Shabbos. The main issue is Chazara, returning the pot to the flame after being removed. The ideal way to do it is to keep holding onto the pot, like rest it on the side of the counter while you still support it with one hand, or having someone else hold the pot for a minute, while you put on the blech with the other hand.

In short, you may not have done it in the best way, but I do not believe you did an aveira.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 3:00 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
It's not the ideal way to do Chazara, but since OP did it right away and took it off with intention, it may be fine.

"Alternately, if one inadvertently put it down, he may replace it as long as he always intended to do so. See M.B. 253:56. The Chazon Ish (37:12) is lenient, even in the absence of both conditions."
https://www.star-k.org/article.....ment/

This article is about cholent on a crockpot

There also may be an issue with putting the blech on depending on how high the flame was

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 3:07 pm
amother DarkViolet wrote:
This article is about cholent on a crockpot

There also may be an issue with putting the blech on depending on how high the flame was

It's the same halachic issue of chazara.

If the flame was not high enough to make the blech red-hot (safe to assume because OP wanted the soup on the flame, and if it was that high she'd probably want to take it off) then according to at least some reliable opinions it is not an issue.

Of course best to clarify with your LOR in case it happens in the future. At least bedieved, though, it does not appear to be an actual aveira.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note