Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
13 yo perhaps broken toe

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 9:51 pm
My 13 yo son stubbed his toe really bad Friday night and he’s still in lots of pain. I’m thinking at this point, 3 days later, it must be broken. Question is tho, is there anything to do for a broken toe, that I should take him to a dr for, or just leave it to heal? Tia

cnc

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 9:52 pm
Yes. He may need antibiotics, so that it doesn't become infected.

Beautiful

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 9:53 pm
I had a broken toe. Got it x-rayed, taped, and hopped around on crutches for a bit

chanar

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:21 pm
I had a broken toe. It was incredibly painful. But there was nothing really to do about it.. just let it heal..

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:24 pm
Take him to a podiatrist. It should be x-rayed and possibly taped, depending on which toe it is. If it's a bad break and he can't wear a shoe, he may need a boot.

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:25 pm
Which toe?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:38 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Which toe?

I’m not even sure! I think he said his big toe

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:39 pm
Ok thanks everyone. Guess we’ll make a visit to a podiatrist to make sure

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
My 13 yo son stubbed his toe really bad Friday night and he’s still in lots of pain. I’m thinking at this point, 3 days later, it must be broken. Question is tho, is there anything to do for a broken toe, that I should take him to a dr for, or just leave it to heal? Tia

My 13 year old daughter recently did that on stairs. I took her straight to the orthopedist. She has a toe fracture and needs to tape it and wear a walking boot.

You should really see an orthopedist as regular podiatrists A) do not specialize in bones B) nor do they have x-ray machines or expertise in reading x-rays quite like orthopedists do.
If it’s a fracture, he may need to wear a boot and tape the toe together with the toe next to it to help immobilize it and allow it to heal.

Also, DO NOT go to an urgent care for this! Urgent cares have very poor quality x-ray imaging. In my experience, we’ve had fractures totally misdiagnosed by different urgent cares on multiple occasions and had to go to the orthopedist anyway. If there’s anyone who can definitely tell you whether it’s a sprain or fracture, it’s an orthopedist. Not the pediatrician or podiatrist or urgent care.

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ok thanks everyone. Guess we’ll make a visit to a podiatrist to make sure

Not a podiatrist. He needs to see an orthopedist & get x-rays to make sure that the bone isn't broken in a way that can cause permanent damage or need surgery.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 11:25 pm
Ok thanks. Anyone can recommend an orthopedist in Lakewood area?

amother
Milk

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 11:29 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
Take him to a podiatrist. It should be x-rayed and possibly taped, depending on which toe it is. If it's a bad break and he can't wear a shoe, he may need a boot.

Same experience

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 11:25 am
I second the orthopedist. I broke my big toe and the "shoe" the ER gave me was awful. The walking boot, the orthopedist gave me was much better. Your big toe is really important for your balance and mobility. I looked like I hurt myself worse then I actually did but I felt much better and could get around better.

emi1812

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 12:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ok thanks. Anyone can recommend an orthopedist in Lakewood area?

Pediatric orthopedic associates 732-897-4200
There’s also another orthopedist that people use named Dr Plakas but he doesn’t accept some major insurances

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 12:14 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
Please take him to an orthopedist. My dd had a broken toe that needed surgery in the end.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:08 am
Old time podiatrists had different training then today. Any podiatrist that graduated within past few years has way more training on feet than an orthopedist. And yes the better ones have X-rays. A orthopedist has to do approximately 10 foot surgeries before graduating residency and a podiatrist 300. The schooling is the same 11 years they just specialize in feet instead of orthopedist wich is general and doesn’t specialize in any specific area

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:14 am
amother Aquamarine wrote:
My 13 year old daughter recently did that on stairs. I took her straight to the orthopedist. She has a toe fracture and needs to tape it and wear a walking boot.

You should really see an orthopedist as regular podiatrists A) do not specialize in bones B) nor do they have x-ray machines or expertise in reading x-rays quite like orthopedists do.
If it’s a fracture, he may need to wear a boot and tape the toe together with the toe next to it to help immobilize it and allow it to heal.

Also, DO NOT go to an urgent care for this! Urgent cares have very poor quality x-ray imaging. In my experience, we’ve had fractures totally misdiagnosed by different urgent cares on multiple occasions and had to go to the orthopedist anyway. If there’s anyone who can definitely tell you whether it’s a sprain or fracture, it’s an orthopedist. Not the pediatrician or podiatrist or urgent care.

We have an orthopedic urgent care. Excellent for things like this!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:27 am
Pediatricians don’t specialize in that. Urgent cares have same quality imaging usually the problem is that they don’t have regular doctors it’s PA reading it. Not podiatrists or orthopedists

emi1812

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:13 am
amother Chartreuse wrote:
Old time podiatrists had different training then today. Any podiatrist that graduated within past few years has way more training on feet than an orthopedist. And yes the better ones have X-rays. A orthopedist has to do approximately 10 foot surgeries before graduating residency and a podiatrist 300. The schooling is the same 11 years they just specialize in feet instead of orthopedist wich is general and doesn’t specialize in any specific area

The doctor I saw at an orthopedist practice is a podiatrist with a specialty in foot and ankle surgery. I’d sooner go to him than the regular podiatrist who mostly deals with superficial injuries than fractures.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children