Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Did you deliver MM or wait for people to come to you?
Previous  1  2

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 6:16 pm
DH and kids go out to deliver while I stay home and give to people who deliver to us.

We keep a shared Google file so we can track who gave to whom, in case any of my kids' intended recipients were not home because they were out delivering to our home and received mm directly from me, etc.

mommyhood

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 6:24 pm
We do a combination, deliver to Rebbeim and teachers and friends that live near them plus some limited extra stops and we walk to neighbors. My kids would love if I drove them to endless friends but it’s too much. They also usually get friends coming to us so it’s enough.

patzer

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 6:46 pm
DrMom wrote:
DH and kids go out to deliver while I stay home and give to people who deliver to us.

We keep a shared Google file so we can track who gave to whom, in case any of my kids' intended recipients were not home because they were out delivering to our home and received mm directly from me, etc.

How organized! Applause

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 7:03 pm
DrMom wrote:

wow. that's really smart!

hodeez

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 7:12 pm
Made 30 and they all went, we had the seudah at our house so everyone came to us. Bh neighbors also came over to exchange , which I found to be very sweet. I love my block bh

hodeez

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 7:13 pm
And I made 19 for teachers that my kids gave out a throughout the week of purim

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 7:17 pm
My husband is a Rav so we have a lot of people coming to us. We do our Rav, teachers and meet ups in the morning and then spend from lunch time and on at home greeting people. I made about 60 this year, the ones for people who we are giving to intentionally cost about $5 each and the ones we give to reciprocate are about $2 each. I make something homemade so that keeps costs low but the effort is intense. My husband doesn't like taking without giving something in return so this is what we do for now. When it gets to be too much, I'll figure something else out.
My kids have class meet ups so I need about 60 for them and those cost about $1.

I like our current system but if needed, we'll change with whatever is going on

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 7:50 pm
I made 8 for adults, 3 per child. Delivered to a few people but mostly got. I dont drive around much. Too tiring. The streets on purim are chaos. Kept it simple.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:05 pm
I made 110, delivered about 25-35 which included teachers, principals , a couple doctors/ therapists, 2 friends for each kid and neighbors, the rest gave to people who came. I spent about $1 -$1.50 each on the regular ones, $10 on hakaras hatov ones.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:09 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
For those who don’t deliver, remember my husband and kids who got only if we went to their house to bring to them. We live on a block with no other kids and just a dew older couples. Not a single friend of my husband came to give him mm. And he was driving around with me and brought to a few of his friends. He admitted to me that his feelings were hurt that no one came to bring him, even though of course he knows it’s about giving and not getting. Part of giving is remembering to go and GIVE. Those who are not lucky enough to have friends as neighbors are left out and it’s a horrible feeling. Two people drove to bring to me. Zero to my son.

Do you know how bad it feels to come home, after leaving mm by doors of friends who were not home and finding NOTHING WAITING FOR YOU?

Please. Please drive to the person who lives on a block alone or almost alone.

Nothing personal, I feel the day is chaotic enough with balancing megila for husband, megila for me, megila for kids. We are exhausted even before we start distributing. Add that to prep for the seuda and the streets being insanely dangerous and chaotic on Purim , driving around takes away my enjoyment of the day. Anyone within a 5-10 minute walk would be in the personal deliveries I will send my kids with but driving around is too stressful for a lot of us.
When I used to stress myself out to deliver more it got too much .

Highstrung

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:11 pm
We delivered most and received half . But, I told the people that came to me that my children will go later when they came home to make a delivery to them. I wanted my kids to experience the giving part . My DH drove them around so that they could do the deliveries .
I made 25 and was left with 1 .
I was in aveilus so couldn’t go special to bring to my few friends. I usually go to personally show my face to people I see very rarely and to share my smile . But not this year .

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:15 pm
I made 20 at about $9 each and drove around at 11 am delivering them. I made a list and grouped things geographically to be more efficient. I also sent to my kids who are out of town (baked plus spent considerably more), machatunim, and close friend. Emailed 20 donation cards. Gave two big MM to family who attended our seudah. They cost about $75 each, although I included some new pantry items that were already in our house.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:52 pm
3 bigger ones, org made for us, for head of diff medical teams in the hospital, + bone marrow donor. One bigger one to husband's boss.
Life coach, 4 therapists, 1 case manager for services, 1 volunteer, 1 counselor from camp Simcha, 8 neighbors, 4 of my friends, 2 sil, 3 aunts, 2 of my husband's friends, my husband former boss, my husband's 2 coworkers, my husband's 2 chavrusahs, 2 dayanim, 6 teachers, 2 kids rebbeim,

Total of 46.

Plus
1 kid-3 friends + 3 neighbors
1 kid-3 neighbors
1 kid-2 friends
1 kid-3 friends + private rebbe, and big bro mentor

=+ 16. Smaller mm.

Total 46+16= 62

Idk how much they cost. Reg mm- section boxes cost $2 each. Made homemade chocolate barks and homemade pretzels coated with chocolate. Many of the toppings I had home, so didn't need to buy. Plus candy. So probably each was like $3-4.

For teachers/rebbeim and dayanim we added tips.

Kids had small containers or bags with snack/candy.

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:54 pm
If so many of us mostly deliver who is receiving all of it? Please raise your hand if you have hundreds of people that come to you.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 9:04 pm
We delivered mostly. Some we got delivered. Some we got one back when we gave, some we gave back when we got.

shanie5

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 10:13 pm
Made 109, dd made 12 that were similar, but not exactly the same. We deliver most, but have many delivered to us too. We are a small community, so many times we meet others out delivering and give them then and there. I do not keep track of who comes to us or who we go to. We just drive up and down the streets and drop off at any frum home.

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 10:16 pm
We received about 20, most of which were delivered to us. I was given 2 by friends when I delivered to them. However, they would have brought to us. I wouldn’t call us “popular.” We have some nice friends with whom we are closer and a second tier with whom we have a warm but less close connection. Many fewer packages were given this year and an increase in donation cards, particularly to Israel related organizations. Probably received about 10 of those.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 10:19 pm
I decided this year that I was doing bare minimum. I gave our Rav, my husband's secretary, mother in law and my kids teachers.
My kids gave their whole class(very small school)
I received around 20
We drove around in the two hour window that we had, each kid gave one friend and the rest they gave in school the next day, we went to my in laws motzai shabbos and I have then.
I really feel like I did my best and put my energy into making my kids happy, and because I gave to so few people, I didn't keep adding to the list

amother
White

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 7:52 am
First we do all the walking distance, which is a lot more fun!
one parent stays home, the other delivers. Kids decide to go or stay.
Usually I stay home to prepare for the seuda and answer the door.
Probably half the people we would deliver to made it to us first

amother
Tanzanite

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 9:43 am
We walked our feet off, because it's impossible by car, where we live
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics