Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Challah dough in fridge?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 12:57 pm
I want to make my challah dough tonight and bake it tomorrow, does anyone have any experience in doing that?

I'm getting confused from Google, some things are saying not to let it rise before and to let it rise in the fridge. I think it will be too cold in mine though.

Can I let it rise and then fridge it?

Momofcutes

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 1:31 pm
I would just keep it in the fridge straight away after making it. Its a slow rise and comes out beautifully.
Just take it out some time before you want to braid for it to come to room temp.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 1:49 pm
I’ve done it
It does rise a lot in the refrigerator so make sure you have lots of room. Then put on counter for 2-4 hours until it comes to room temperature before you braid.

amother
Poppy

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 1:50 pm
I was just thinking I need to make challos but I'm too tired and should do it tomorrow. I often put it in the fridge overnight. I put it straight in, let it rise overnight, then take it out the next day. I usually let it warm up to room temperature, but it still works fine even when it's a little cold.
Although the fridge is cold, it will rise very slowly overnight. If you let it rise first before putting it in the fridge, it may overrise during the night.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 2:37 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
I was just thinking I need to make challos but I'm too tired and should do it tomorrow. I often put it in the fridge overnight. I put it straight in, let it rise overnight, then take it out the next day. I usually let it warm up to room temperature, but it still works fine even when it's a little cold.
Although the fridge is cold, it will rise very slowly overnight. If you let it rise first before putting it in the fridge, it may overrise during the night.

Yes. I do this all the time.

I find it takes a looong time to bring down to room temp so I usually just end up doing it when its cold. If I have time I leave to rise again once its plaited but not always.

Good luck.

Takes away so much of my stress of making challah.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 2:38 pm
I always do my challah this way. I make it at night and put it in the fridge. The next day, I take it out for a good few hrs. It rises again, becomes warm to the touch and then I shape and bake. It has so much more flavor and texture than if I do it all in one day. And it's easier for me to split it up.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 8:59 pm
I do it that way a lot

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 6:50 pm
Can I make challah dough tonight and leave in fridge till tomorrow night? Or it's too long?

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
I want to make my challah dough tonight and bake it tomorrow, does anyone have any experience in doing that?

I'm getting confused from Google, some things are saying not to let it rise before and to let it rise in the fridge. I think it will be too cold in mine though.

Can I let it rise and then fridge it?

Let it rise in fridge overnight. You'll need to let it come to room temp in the a.m., which can take a good long time. I find that I also have to let it rise a loooooong time after punching down and shaping the loaves. Four hours warming up and another four to rise a second time is not too long. Your kitchen may be warmer than mine or my fridge may be colder than yours, so you have to play it by ear as far as times go. But it can definitely be done and works very nicely if you have the patience to let time and Nature do their work.

ladYdI

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:41 pm
amother Amaryllis wrote:
I’ve done it
It does rise a lot in the refrigerator so make sure you have lots of room. Then put on counter for 2-4 hours until it comes to room temperature before you braid.

This!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen