Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Miami imas, advice please

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 9:03 am
I would like to take my teen to visit FIU (Florida International University) for accepted student day, as she was accepted into college there. Unfortunately the only accepted student day tours are on Saturdays. I've never been to Miami, don't know the city at all. Can anyone advise me as to good place to stay for 1-2 adults and 1 teen, within walking distance of FIU? Is there an eruv in that area? Yes I already contacted Chabad on campus but didn't hear back yet. I also looked on Air BnB but it's hard for me to tell where things are, without knowing anything about Miami geography. Also, many places appear to book for a whole week only, we just need Fri-Sun. Also many air bnb places are just a bedroom in a shared house, which won't work for obvious reasons. I didn't look at hotels yet (the 'search nearby' function on Maps) but I will. Help an ima out with any Miami/FIU advice, please.
TIA
- A northerner

amother
DarkPurple

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 9:07 am
Did you ask a shaila about attending on shabbos? I would start with that before making further plans.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 9:09 am
If your rav says it's fine you'll just have to map out different Airbnb to see how long the walk would be. Google maps can give you this information. There is no Jewish community in the vicinity.

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 9:40 am
OP, going on shabbos may be very complicated. You must discuss with a Rav & find out if the campus is shabbos compatible. (Electronic doors, automatic lighting....)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 9:55 am
amother DarkPurple wrote:
If your rav says it's fine you'll just have to map out different Airbnb to see how long the walk would be. Google maps can give you this information. There is no Jewish community in the vicinity.

There appear to be no vacation rentals or hotels less than 3 miles away, nothing showing up closer on google maps!
Anyone else have input on places to stay nearby?
I understand about going on shabbos to the campus tour, it's a separate question than what I'm asking here. I'm specifically inquiring here about lodgings, and eruv.

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 10:00 am
OP, find out if the college would accommodate a private tour on a different day.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 10:14 am
amother OP wrote:
There appear to be no vacation rentals or hotels less than 3 miles away, nothing showing up closer on google maps!
Anyone else have input on places to stay nearby?
I understand about going on shabbos to the campus tour, it's a separate question than what I'm asking here. I'm specifically inquiring here about lodgings, and eruv.

There is no eruv in that area.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 11:01 am
amother Brass wrote:
OP, find out if the college would accommodate a private tour on a different day.

Yes this is what I was thinking too. Looks like that's our only option.
Thanks for the info about there not being an eruv nor any frum community nearby. Definitely rethinking things vis a vis that school.

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 11:05 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes this is what I was thinking too. Looks like that's our only option.
Thanks for the info about there not being an eruv nor any frum community nearby. Definitely rethinking things vis a vis that school.

College's are generally accommodating with this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics