Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Whole wheat challah

willow

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 5:11 am
there is probably a thread on this already but I could not find it. I am looking for a really yummy whole wheat challah recipe for this shabbos. Or even oat, or rye I am in the mood of yummy and healthy Very Happy

tzivi

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 6:41 am
Willow, you have tempted me! That sounds so yummy. I would also like the recipe please. Very Happy Thanks for the idea!

shanie5

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 6:24 pm
we had a taste-a-thon last night, and although I didnt try it, there was whole wheat challah there. Here is the recipe:

4 tblsp dry yeast
1 cup water
1 tblsp sugar

mix and let rise

4 cups water
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup oil
2 tblsp salt
2/3-3/4 of a 5 lb bag of whole wheal flour

knead ingredients till you have a smooth dough. (add the flour slowly til u find the dough is smooth)

let rise for 1-1 1/2 hours.
shape into 6 challahs and bake:

450-5 min
425-5min
400-5 min
375-5 min
350-10-15 min

this is exactly how the recipe is written. please let me know if you try it.

note: a 5 lb bag of flour has approx 16-18 cups of flour.

motheroftwo

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 12:23 am
shanie-is it 2/3 or 3/4 of 5lb bag? THa'ts a big difference,no?
also would you say a bracha on this amount?

tzivi

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 12:30 am
Thankyou! Very Happy Now I just have to convert pounds to kilograms!

willow

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 5:55 am
wow sounds like it makes a lot of challah(16 cups!). Do you know how many loaves it makes?

sarahd

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 6:17 am
The recipe says 6 challos. 6 large challos, I guess.

shanie5

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 9:34 am
2/3-3/4 of a bag would bea difference of approx 1 1/2 cups. thats why you add the flour slowly- and judge when it's smooth enuf.

in another thread I wrote about a class I took on 'sweet dough'. challah is a sweet dough so u may want to check there for some ideas.
something else I just remembered. flour should not be scooped. it should be 'fluffed' w/ a fork, scooped into a measuring cup and then leveled off. a cup of flour should weigh between 4 - 4 1/2 oz. if u scoop w/o fluffing, you add too much flour, and the dough will be heavier than it should be.
by the way, accordind to these weights, there should be 18-20 cups of flour in a 5 lb bag.

as to a brocha: according to the spice and spirit, challah is taken on approx 2 lb 12 oz, a brocha is made as of 3 lb 11 oz. this recipe seems to fall right in between the question "I know I have to take challah- but do I make a brocha on it?" if you use 15 cups, you probably have to make a brocha. if less, call your rav.

I dont know the size of the challos. I doubt they're large cuzits less than five lbs of flour. try the recipe, and see how many challos you get, and then let the rest of us know please.

tzivi-good luck in your calculations.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads