Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Why can't I ever get this right?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 9:45 am
I have ADHD which I am actively managing. I really don't know what to do at this point with laundry. I can't seem to get on top of it, just joking, I get on top of it here and there, I can't seem to keep on top of it. Every time I turn around I am drowning. My kids don't have a lot of clothes. They mostly wear uniforms, I don't have a lot of clothes either. My kids and husband are all ND and no on puts their clothes in any hamper, nor do they put their clothes away. We don't fold clothes, iron clothes or match socks, I've cut out so many steps to the laundry process to survive and I still can't keep up. HELP!

SuperWify

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 9:47 am
Do it all once a week

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 9:52 am
Totally disagree with doing it once a week! That mode is overwhelming especially for those of us that can get overestimated and run in opposite direction.
One loadxa day put it up right away I'm am. Get into the habit. Move it as soon as finished. Quick load is enough for reg laundry and then you can have more delicate. Uniforms and guys pants in there. Make sure to fold daily. And put right away. Of course you need separate days delegate to whites linen and towels.
I'm coming from Totally ADD and my neighbors think I've got a great laundry system! Just keep it going!!

amother
Snowdrop

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 9:55 am
I have certain laundry days. Tuesday nights for the kids. Thursday nights for me and dh. Sundays for baby. Towels whenever I remember, and linens every other week on whatever day the cleaning lady comes. I really felt this helped streamline everything much better for me.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 9:59 am
amother Mint wrote:
Totally disagree with doing it once a week! That mode is overwhelming especially for those of us that can get overestimated and run in opposite direction.
One loadxa day put it up right away I'm am. Get into the habit. Move it as soon as finished. Quick load is enough for reg laundry and then you can have more delicate. Uniforms and guys pants in there. Make sure to fold daily. And put right away. Of course you need separate days delegate to whites linen and towels.
I'm coming from Totally ADD and my neighbors think I've got a great laundry system! Just keep it going!!

I should elaborate but it works very well. It’s one load per category for the week, but over a few days.

After Shabbos I wash the tablecloth and napkins
Monday- wash all clothes and bath towels
Tuesday- cleaning lady folds and I put away. I hang up all that needs to be hung
Wednesday- put away hanging
Thursday- towels and linens if needed

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 10:13 am
I have a rule if u don’t put it in the hamper it Dosnt get washed max they will learn very fast even a 3 year old can put cloths in thr hamper.

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 10:19 am
I also have ADHD and struggle with laundry. Some things that work for me:

1. Everything gets washed together on warm. Black, white, shirts, towels, underwear. Doesn’t matter. I promise you won’t notice and everyone will survive. And if a white undershirt gets a little gray who cares. It’s an undershirt. Use Color Catcher sheets in the washing machine to prevent colors running.

2. Decide on a schedule that works for you. It could be once a week or it could be every day. But you need to stick to it.

3. If you can’t fold, don’t fold. Get each child containers for different clothing items and just sort.

4. For me, once I actually succeed in the astronomical task of folding the laundry, it’s so hard for me to put it away. I recently started involving my kids in this and it really helps. I make it a game. They come to my bed and I hand them each a pile of underwear, socks, shirts etc. They run to their room and put it in the correct container and then run back for more. Idk why but they love it.

5. Don’t drive yourself crazy to hang dry everything. Put as much as possible into the dryer. I hate hanging up wet clothes and I try to minimize it as much as possible.

6. If you are able to, take your cleaning lady for more hours. I realized it’s worth the extra $30-$40 for me to take her for 2 hours extra a week and have the laundry folded and put away. If you can do it, do.

7. Worst case, but an extra pack of socks and underwear for your kids. It really takes the stress off! Lol.

Goldengoose

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 10:21 am
great tip from shulamis weil, professional organizer, do one load a day. put the load in the machine in the morning. this way you have a few hours to get to it and dry or hang. at night we're too tired.

works great for me.

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 10:26 am
I have kids with ADHD and I have ADHD. I am extremely into routine. Laundry gets done on certain days unless there is a pressing need.

Also cause and effect is huge in my house. We have a laundry chute and my 13 year old either puts his clothing down or he wears dirty pants. But its for his chinuch to learn that lesson. I am not looking for his pants that he dumped on his floor. If he cant be bothered then he can make due with shmutz. I told my 9 year old the same thing today when he didnt like the pants that were available. If I cant see clothing in the laundry room then there is nothing to wash. They need to feel the consequence.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:27 pm
Thanks ladies. So my kids will just wear dirty clothes Banging head .
We have a 3 floor house and the kids leave the clothes everywhere, their bedrooms are on floor 2 and 3. The laundry room is on floor #2. I can actually remember to do a load first thing in the morning but then it's up and down steps and all around to the different rooms and it just gets held up at some point in the process.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:46 pm
Im pretty sure I have ADHD and absolutely despise doing laundry. I do laundry once per week. Each kid has a hamper in their room and I dump the entire hamper into the washing machine. Then when load is done, I hang the hanging clothing and put the other stuff in the dryer. Then when dryer is done I put the stuff back in the hamper and then fold it in the kid's room. I find it much easier this way because then I don't need to separate by kid. I wash on warm and nothing ever got ruined. I also only wash linen once every 2 months.
I find that washing each kids laundry is super helpful. If 2 kids sleep rogether, then id do the laundry together. The point is that then you won't have mounds and mounds of laundry to fold. It's much less overwhelming when it's in hampers in kids rooms.
Also I don't separate whites. My husband has grey undershirts but at least I have my sanity
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry