Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
13 year old wants to get BB gun
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 3:41 am
amother OP wrote:
Would you also not let your kids have nerf guns? My son has nerf guns for years and has always been careful.

Nerf is a toy. BB guns are not.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 4:48 am
As I said, these parents of a trial I watched got their 15 year old son a gun, and their son shot birds outdoors for fun. Not saying your son would do it, but he shot kids in a school. What if he by mistake Chas V'sholom shot another kid? Who is responsible then? Are you going to keep it locked and safe from your other kids?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:24 am
Rappel wrote:
And you have a massive great outdoors by your house, with thick stands of trees and dirt between you and the next living thing?

Is there an experienced adult in the house whom he respects, whom can train him in gun discipline *before* he ever owns a gun?

Yes, we do have a big backyard with lots of trees between us and the neighbors behind.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:26 am
amother Brown wrote:
As I said, these parents of a trial I watched got their 15 year old son a gun, and their son shot birds outdoors for fun. Not saying your son would do it, but he shot kids in a school. What if he by mistake Chas V'sholom shot another kid? Who is responsible then? Are you going to keep it locked and safe from your other kids?

Yes, we have a locked room that you can only access with fingerprint reader

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:31 am
You are asking for trouble. It is ok to say no. Accident waiting to happen, and you'll be held liable. Help him find a different hobby.

-Mom of a fellow 13 year old

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:55 am
amother OP wrote:
Ok. So basically you can keep it in a safe place and give it to the child to play with your supervision.

The concern is owning it or using it?

A BB GUN IS NOT A TOY TO PLAY WITH. Maybe you are not familiar and think it’s more of a glorified nerf gun. IT IS NOT! You don’t “play” with guns. You can take him to shooting ranges and let him learn how to handle, shoot if you need to get that itch out of his system.

amother
Hosta

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 10:36 am
My relative is in Hatzalah. Just recently he transported a baby that got a bb in the head by her own father! The bb had punctured her skull and was lodged in the meninges/dura matter.

I don’t know if the baby had long term damage, but I cannot imagine being in that father’s shoes.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 10:42 am
maybe first teach him that guns arent toys. even BB guns.

I think the only ppl who should be using or carrying guns are the ppl who are slightly nervous about them, because then you know that theyre actually aware of the responsibilty and understand the harm a gun can cause.

giving a 13 year old a gun to play around with isnt a great way to teach him the proper attitude about weapons. take him to some ranges or nerf gun things that ppl were mentioning to get the itch out of his system, and let him grow up a little before he gets one of his own. I dont think theres any reason a 13 yr old should have one of his own.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 10:50 am
I still think this is a bad idea and you are putting a danger to your kids and neighbors kids if you get him one. It will be a big irresponsibility on your part as a parent.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 11:08 am
Next question is what to do when your thirteen year old gets a friend to order him a BB gun on Amazon

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 11:16 am
amother Cadetblue wrote:
Next question is what to do when your thirteen year old gets a friend to order him a BB gun on Amazon

Well, if mom thinks it's OK for said 13 year old to "play" with guns then there's really nothing to do.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 11:21 am
Op, think about the consequences. Why are you considering this? Let's imagine that you don't even care about the damage that could come to anyone else, what about your poor son? He's 13. You're the adult he relies on to gatekeep his immature ideas.

In many states it's not even legal for a minor to have a BB gun because they're not old enough to use it responsibly. Meaning their brains aren't developed enough. Imagine he accidentally seriously hurt someone because his mother gave him an instrument that he biologically wasn't old enough to handle. You really want him to go through life with that guilt?

Not to mention, are you happy to open yourself up to lawsuits from anyone who gets injured if not your immediate family? Are you happy to open yourself up to a CPS investigation if they want to know what your son was doing with a BB gun? What's the risk here and what's the payoff?

Why not put your son into a martial arts class?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 1:10 pm
As a gun owning family that is teaching our young kids to shoot safely I would not allow a 13 yo to 'own' a bb gun. My cousin lost an eye as an adult when another adult shot him unintentionally.

The only way I would allow it would be if he has no access to it and can't use it unless there is a "responsible" adult supervising. I would also make sure that my child takes a gun safety class before allowing them access

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 1:44 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
As a gun owning family that is teaching our young kids to shoot safely I would not allow a 13 yo to 'own' a bb gun. My cousin lost an eye as an adult when another adult shot him unintentionally.

The only way I would allow it would be if he has no access to it and can't use it unless there is a "responsible" adult supervising. I would also make sure that my child takes a gun safety class before allowing them access

I appreciate this advice.

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 1:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
I appreciate this advice.

Please don't. This is not good advice. I have a family member that was killed when teenagers at the park were "just fooling around" with a bb gun.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 2:03 pm
I wouldn't allow because guns are not toys and there is no reason a 13 year old should have such a potentially dangerous thing.

While it might not kill someone it could blind them or disfigure them.

If you son is seriously interesting in target shooting, then take him to a shooting range where he will receive instructions and be able to shoot targets.

When he is 18 and on his own, he can buy whatever he wants with him own money although I would not let anyone in my home with any kind of gun. There are lots of people killed by guns by accident because they think it is an intruder or the gun is not locked up one time.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 2:05 pm
amother Phlox wrote:
Please don't. This is not good advice. I have a family member that was killed when teenagers at the park were "just fooling around" with a bb gun.

Thats not what she suggested

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 2:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thats not what she suggested

She suggested a "safe" way for you to buy your son a bb gun and you jumped on her "good advice". I am saying there is no safe way to give your 13 year old son a bb gun. Kids are smarter then we think and have ways to get into the most secure room. BB guns can kill they are not for teenagers.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 2:26 pm
My relative was killed by a BB gun. I know it's rare but it can kill.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 2:28 pm
I'm probably related to amother phlox. It's ripped a deep hole in our family. Please do not buy a BB gun for your teen
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics