Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
13 year old wants to get BB gun
Previous  1  2  3

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 2:50 pm
amother Phlox wrote:
She suggested a "safe" way for you to buy your son a bb gun and you jumped on her "good advice". I am saying there is no safe way to give your 13 year old son a bb gun. Kids are smarter then we think and have ways to get into the most secure room. BB guns can kill they are not for teenagers.

If he's adamant about getting a bb gun he will find a way. What I recommended was a safe way to go about it.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 3:31 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
If he's adamant about getting a bb gun he will find a way. What I recommended was a safe way to go about it.

He will find a way when he's 13? Highly doubt it. It's ok to say NO to kids. My 16 year old just pierced a second hole in her ear without permission. I told her to take it out. We can revisit when she's 18. She listened. If she were a troubled teen it would not have been my focus. She's a good kid. Teens push boundaries all the time. Adults have to set the boundaries. Please do not be afraid to parent.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 3:46 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
He will find a way when he's 13? Highly doubt it. It's ok to say NO to kids. My 16 year old just pierced a second hole in her ear without permission. I told her to take it out. We can revisit when she's 18. She listened. If she were a troubled teen it would not have been my focus. She's a good kid. Teens push boundaries all the time. Adults have to set the boundaries. Please do not be afraid to parent.

She obviously has to know her child, and yes 13 year olds find a way. I know many 13 year olds that have gotten things that their parents disapprove of.

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 4:21 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
She obviously has to know her child, and yes 13 year olds find a way. I know many 13 year olds that have gotten things that their parents disapprove of.

It is illegal to sell a bb gun to someone under 18 in the US. How is op's son going to get it if she says no? On the street? Then op has way bigger problems on her hands.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 4:25 pm
amother Phlox wrote:
It is illegal to sell a bb gun to someone under 18 in the US. How is op's son going to get it if she says no? On the street? Then op has way bigger problems on her hands.

It's illegal to sell cigarettes to minors yet so many frum young boys smoke, some of my cousins started before their bar mitzvah and they are not considered rebels.

I don't want to derail the thread, just giving my 2 cents as someone with actual guns in the house.

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 4:26 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
It's illegal to sell cigarettes to minors yet so many frum young boys smoke, some of my cousins started before their bar mitzvah and they are not considered rebels.

I don't want to derail the thread, just giving my 2 cents as someone with actual guns in the house.

You are telling me it's just as easy to buy a bb gun like a pack of cigarettes? Oh please.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 4:58 pm
amother Phlox wrote:

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 5:21 pm
amother OP wrote:

Honestly? 16 or 18, your son is 13!!! When my son was that age he wasn't responsible enough to brush his teeth every day let alone be trusted with a bb gun to shoot stuff in the backyard.

Maybe your son will start begging for a car next, you know he can get a license at 16. Would you let him drive your car at 13?

This is a crazy conversation and I really hope you live really far away from me.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 7:42 pm
I work in education, and we are currently involved in a legal situation regarding a 13 yo student who brought a BB gun to school and got expelled.

amother
Maize

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:50 pm
Maybe an airsoft gun is a good idea?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics