Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Potato sides - tried and tested

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 9:44 am
Loooking for tried and tested potato side dish recipes (not kugel) something that goes well with meatbalss in sweet and sour sauce

potato gnocchi? mashed potatoes? I found some stuff online but want to hear from real people.

Thanks!

amother
Cyclamen

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 9:49 am
Real person here. Before the seder I boil chunks of peeled yukon gold potatoes for karpas. Everyone but the littlest kids only gets a small piece and wishes they could have more. (We try not to have a kezayis so no question of bracha achrona.) When I serve more later everyone is happy to see them make a comeback. Because the meat or chicken I serve at the seder has to be cooked in a sauce there’s plenty of yummy sauce to put the potatoes in for moistness and flavor.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 10:25 am
amother Cyclamen wrote:
Real person here. Before the seder I boil chunks of peeled yukon gold potatoes for karpas. Everyone but the littlest kids only gets a small piece and wishes they could have more. (We try not to have a kezayis so no question of bracha achrona.) When I serve more later everyone is happy to see them make a comeback. Because the meat or chicken I serve at the seder has to be cooked in a sauce there’s plenty of yummy sauce to put the potatoes in for moistness and flavor.

Am I misunderstanding or are you talking about plain boiled potatoes?

I'm looking for something a bit more

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 12:56 pm
Scalloped potatoes on this website. We all love it.

zoom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 3:38 pm
Doughless potato knish.

I make in muffin trays.

8 pots Boil. add 2 fried onions . 4 eggs 2 C - Flour 5og marge . Or sub oil.
Itbsp salt Pepper .mash potatoes add marge add it together . top w egg. Or duck sauce. cover sesame seeds Bake 175 ° 1 hour ...less for individuals.

I used around 1/4 c oil
And 1 and half c potato starch.
Even less.
I find anything with potato starch you need to cut down a bit as its quite heavy.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 4:08 pm
We love baby red potatoes simmered with lots of sautéed onions, parsley, salt and pepper. Reheats well.

Hasselback potatoes (fresh for first night, not for reheating).

Potato salad with pickles, good cold.

Tri color baked potato fries.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:03 pm
Only potatoes?
I serve riced cauliflower with sweet n sour meatballs and it's a huge hit on Pesach.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
Loooking for tried and tested potato side dish recipes (not kugel) something that goes well with meatbalss in sweet and sour sauce

potato gnocchi? mashed potatoes? I found some stuff online but want to hear from real people.

Thanks!

Home fries are always a hit here, also sliced potatoes baked in oven with olive oil, lots of spices. Also Mashed with fried onions.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:18 pm
Creamy mashed potatoes with meatballs is delicious

Personally I make egg noodles and serve with meatballs, but during the year I’ve made with mashed potatoes and it’s always delicious

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 2:37 am
yOungM0mmy wrote:
Scalloped potatoes on this website. We all love it.

Are you talking about this?

parve pesach scalloped potatoes

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 2:38 am
amother Taupe wrote:
Creamy mashed potatoes with meatballs is delicious

But I need a recipe. I don't really make mashed potatoes ever. DD did it a few times with mayo and it just tasted like warm potato salad to me.

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 5:48 am
amother OP wrote:
But I need a recipe. I don't really make mashed potatoes ever. DD did it a few times with mayo and it just tasted like warm potato salad to me.

I never put mayo in mashed potatoes. Just margarine/oil/broth and salt. Delicious!

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 6:12 am
amother OP wrote:

Peel and cube 10 potatoes. Cover with water and bring to boil. Cook til soft. Drain off the water into a bowl or container. Mash the potatoes adding in some of the water you drained off to make it softer or fluffier.
Brown 2 onions. Add to mashed potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
This process is works great.
Mashed potatoes don't need any mayo or any more oil than you put in from the browned onions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics