Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
I let guests stay in my empty house (what to think??)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 10:10 am
amother Poinsettia wrote:
Why are people acting like having cameras in your home is a crime.
We have cameras everywhere aside for bathrooms.
1) security
2) I can check on kids, babysitters, cleaning ladies if needed

Cameras in babies/young kids rooms, is understandable. Cameras in rooms of older kids, is a breach of boundaries. There's no need for it.

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 10:12 am
All those saying that the guest didn't do anything wrong, OP said that the guest went in to rooms & the floors they weren't supposed to access, and disabled the cameras there as well. That's not okay.

amother
Quince

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 10:21 am
amother Midnight wrote:
Ive had to change a pad or tampon in a bedroom before when the bathroom was occupied. Im not understanding the big deal. If im getting dressed and changing my underwear, I also change my pad/tampon.
I'm sorry but this is really not ok in someone else's house. What if you got blood somewhere and then how are you opening the door with your unclean hands?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 10:45 am
I came onto ima after YT to vent about this. Last time I was on was over 6 months ago and I missed over 300000 messages and now I remember why I stopped coming on lol.
The 2nd room that I gave to the guest is a baby room with just a crib. I have a camera in the baby room for safety reasons. The went into my attic (playroom) and pulled the plugs there too. My ring door bells get disabled on Shabbos and YT and I would have been thrilled to tell that to anyone who asked. My cameras aren’t a huge thing in my life I honestly never think about it. It didn’t begin to bother me till a package went missing. But when I came home and say all the plugs pulled it rubbed me the wrong way.
All the passive aggressiveness is uncalled for.
And to all the people saying “I would be so freaked out” “you’re such creeps” … well you’re are ones who make me not want to do this mitzvah again …

doodlesmom

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 10:52 am
They had the right to pull or cover The ones in the bedroom!
That’s all.
And they should’ve reconnected before they left.
If they had any other issues they should e called you.

watergirl

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 10:53 am
amother OP wrote:
I came onto ima after YT to vent about this. Last time I was on was over 6 months ago and I missed over 300000 messages and now I remember why I stopped coming on lol.
The 2nd room that I gave to the guest is a baby room with just a crib. I have a camera in the baby room for safety reasons. The went into my attic (playroom) and pulled the plugs there too. My ring door bells get disabled on Shabbos and YT and I would have been thrilled to tell that to anyone who asked. My cameras aren’t a huge thing in my life I honestly never think about it. It didn’t begin to bother me till a package went missing. But when I came home and say all the plugs pulled it rubbed me the wrong way.
And to all the people saying “I would be so freaked out” “you’re such creeps” … well you’re are ones who make me not want to do this mitzvah again …

I'm with you on this. It's very frustrating when people come on here and read a post, assume the worst, and attack the OP instead of asking clarifying questions.

To anyone wanting free vacation accommodations, you get what you get.

OP, the right thing for them to do when they saw the cameras is to ask the person who set them up to contact you and to clarify. I'm sure you would have been happy to tell them to unplug the one you had in the bedroom.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 10:57 am
watergirl wrote:
I'm with you on this. It's very frustrating when people come on here and read a post, assume the worst, and attack the OP instead of asking clarifying questions.

To anyone wanting free vacation accommodations, you get what you get.

OP, the right thing for them to do when they saw the cameras is to ask the person who set them up to contact you and to clarify. I'm sure you would have been happy to tell them to unplug the one you had in the bedroom.

Yesssss thank you!!!

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:03 am
people are also forgetting there is a "middle man" involved.
there could've been some messages lost. for ex, maybe the guests weren't told not to use playroom. or maybe neighbors said, 'of course you should unplug the camera for yom tov.' we just don't know when we are hearing 1/3 of those involved....

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:14 am
amother Quince wrote:
I'm sorry but this is really not ok in someone else's house. What if you got blood somewhere and then how are you opening the door with your unclean hands?

Why is it not okay? It's normal to change a pad or tampon in a bedroom, nothing wrong with that.

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:15 am
doodlesmom wrote:
They had the right to pull or cover The ones in the bedroom!
That’s all.
And they should’ve reconnected before they left.
If they had any other issues they should e called you.

The camera is in a baby room. There's no reason for guests to disable the camera in a baby room.

watergirl

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:20 am
amother OP wrote:
Yesssss thank you!!!

People also read what they want into the threads here - that's one reason I try to be as clear as I can. If you had a camera in your baby's room and that's one room they used, I would have assumed they used it for a baby or small child and not for a couple who could be intimate in there. At least one person in this thread commented "what if a couple was being intimate in that room".

One of the things that bothers me about the Mishpacha "Double Take" is the complete lack of communication and a lot of assumptions. We need more communication here also and less assuming, it would do a lot to improve the good will of the site. And again, same with the guests - they should have just ASKED.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:22 am
amother Moccasin wrote:
Why is it not okay? It's normal to change a pad or tampon in a bedroom, nothing wrong with that.

It's normal to touch something like that, where there is no trash can and place to immediately wash your hands? Where is this normal? Changing a bloody sanitary item is completely a bathroom practice.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:25 am
amother Moccasin wrote:
The camera is in a baby room. There's no reason for guests to disable the camera in a baby room.

Maybe she was gonna nurse there or be there in her PJs.

Cookin4days

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:26 am
amother OP wrote:

Ignore them I’m not sure why they’re bugging out. It’s totally normal to have cameras in the home and also it’s not OK they unplugged cameras in rooms they were not supposed to be in. One time my in-laws lent their summer house out to a couple I totally forgot I had a camera set up in my babies toom till I was notified of movement .. we immediately called them to let them know! Sometimes you forget it happens but so nice you did this mitzvah !! I could never

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:31 am
I don't understand why you would think anyone would be okay staying in what they assumed would be private space for yt. If the bedroom you offered them was your kids, do you think they should be ok having someone watch them being intimate? My question is why you didn't let them know and why you didn't disconnect it for them?
I once rented a Jewish house that had cameras indoors and we covered them all, I still felt an invasion of privacy since I didn't know where else cameras could be hiding.

amother
Canary

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:34 am
amother OP wrote:

Yup it's hard when people seem to gang up on a poster. You didn't ask for advice so hope you're okay that I'm giving it... Smile

I find that if I would be in your position I'd probably write something like this 'I had guests in my empty house over yt and XYZ happened. Any advice for me if I let neighbours use my house again? I'm happy to do it again but don't want to feel violated..'.

I find the posts will be much kinder like this!

watergirl

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:35 am
amother Hunter wrote:
I don't understand why you would think anyone would be okay staying in what they assumed would be private space for yt. If the bedroom you offered them was your kids, do you think they should be ok having someone watch them being intimate? My question is why you didn't let them know and why you didn't disconnect it for them?
I once rented a Jewish house that had cameras indoors and we covered them all, I still felt an invasion of privacy since I didn't know where else cameras could be hiding.

Read the entire thread.

Who is going to be intimate in a room that only has a crib in it?

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:38 am
Just to add when we rent Airbnb's they have cameras outdoors but indoors would be completely illegal for obvious reasons. If you graciously gave your house (which I could never do) then you should've notified them of the cameras and offer to disconnect them yourself and let them know the outdoor ring must stay connected and you would not have had any issues. Thinking to leave a camera on indoors is 100% wrong regardless of which room it was

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:40 am
amother Blonde wrote:
It's normal to touch something like that, where there is no trash can and place to immediately wash your hands? Where is this normal? Changing a bloody sanitary item is completely a bathroom practice.

Gosh you assume everyone is gushing like a faucet. Some people have very neat and clean situations. Wrap it up in the plastic wrap it came in and no drama at all. Out of a 6 day period, only 2 have any sort of flow at all and changing a pad or tampon is part of getting dressed.

Seriously not the point here anyway. Forget the tampon. I dont want to change my underwear or bra or pull up pantyhose on camera either.

And for those saying its normal in a baby bedroom, still doesnt matter. You have to say something. What if the mom was nursing her baby in the room uncovered. Such a violation.

Its a mitzvah to host but you need to tell them you have cameras and if you dont, dont freak out that they unplugged them. They were not wrong in this situation. If that doesnt work for you, then dont host anymore.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:45 am
amother Midnight wrote:
Gosh you assume everyone is gushing like a faucet. Some people have very neat and clean situations. Wrap it up in the plastic wrap it came in and no drama at all. Out of a 6 day period, only 2 have any sort of flow at all and changing a pad or tampon is part of getting dressed.

Seriously not the point here anyway. Forget the tampon. I dont want to change my underwear or bra or pull up pantyhose on camera either.

And for those saying its normal in a baby bedroom, still doesnt matter. You have to say something. What if the mom was nursing her baby in the room uncovered. Such a violation.

Its a mitzvah to host but you need to tell them you have cameras and if you dont, dont freak out that they unplugged them. They were not wrong in this situation. If that doesnt work for you, then dont host anymore.

Thx will do!

P.s you sound very entitled in your post. I have ZERO problem with them not wanting to be recorded. I didn’t leave them on intentionally I just didn’t think of it. They could have asked and I happily would have said to disable to baby room camera (and pls don’t touch anything else I’ll turn off the doorbell cameras for Shabbos)
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette