Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Isn't he too old for this??
Previous  1  2

ShishKabob

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:21 pm
Very age appropriate

amother
Denim

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:35 pm
amother Geranium wrote:
Crying

I don’t think that’s necessary. We just have greater expectations of our oldest and what they’re developmentally capable of. Looking back, we could see how little they actually were and then it’s more obvious with our next kids.

FTR this has nothing to do with having younger siblings, I see it with some “only’s” with my non religious relatives and acquaintances too.

amother
Geranium

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:58 pm
amother Denim wrote:
I don’t think that’s necessary. We just have greater expectations of our oldest and what they’re developmentally capable of. Looking back, we could see how little they actually were and then it’s more obvious with our next kids.

FTR this has nothing to do with having younger siblings, I see it with some “only’s” with my non religious relatives and acquaintances too.

I was that kid. I stand by it

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:59 pm
amother Tan wrote:
Sounds exactly like my 8 year old LOL

Same here! LOL
He's my youngest!!

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 12:10 am
amother Tan wrote:
Sounds exactly like my 8 year old LOL

Mine too.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:47 am
Totally normal

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:50 am
He's normal (and would be normal even at age 10 to be honest)

What's also normal is you having high expectations because he is your eldest - but unfortunately it has an unintended effect of making them want to be more "babyish" because they resent the expectations and want the attention and care-free life that the younger ones seem to have - let him be a baby. No-one has to be responsible at age 6 (which is really young, even though to you obviously it's the oldest child you've had...)

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:15 am
6 is very little and even if academically clever, they still have little kid feelings. Cuddles, clinging and wanting to sit on your lap is normal even if he is quite precocious in school.
He will forget all sorts of things and netilas yadayim/brochos need modelling so he isn't humiliated when he forgets.
They flip between sounding so mature (often copying adult speech) and having little kid feelings, just go with whatever he is doing. He will grow up fast!!

SuperWify

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 8:13 am
Uh… I forget Brachos too and I’m nearly 30.

This sounds like my 7 year old though he still needs help making Brachos as he confuses them.

He will wear a kippah or Tzitus when he leaves the house because he’s aware of social norms but at home he doesn’t bother.

He loves to sit on me, jump on me, and comes over it’s of human and kisses. It’s sweet. And I know it won’t last forever. Most teenage boys aren’t kissing their moms voluntarily.

He has zero sense of responsibility. Won’t know which homework he needs to do when and what thing he needs to bring to school. He’s constantly forgetting to bring home his coat, water bottle, balls ect…

We’re teaching him slowly. It’s annoying and frustrating but it’s part of growing up.

It took 2.5 years to get him to get dressed on his own. Now, he will mostly do it without a fight (only a few kvetches a day) but it’s a huge win for me.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics