Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
S/o Everyone... to Israel with question for "Reality"

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:17 pm
Hi,
I can't find the thread from friday.

But I have a question for you Reality if you feel like you want to answer.

I was under the impression, from an aliya seminar I took, that if you have kids with language difficulties, or kids with social/emotional issues, you should think long and hard before making aliya.

And since one of my kids fits that description, I figured aliya was off the table for the time being.

But then I saw that you wrote that one of your kids is - I forgot exactly what you said - but something about one kid having extra struggles.

And I was wondering about that - if that almost held you back from moving.

I would pm, but I don't really want to out myself. Sorry.

No pressure to answer if you don't want to.

Also open to answers from any imamothers....

Thanks!

LovesHashem

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 12:35 am
All my. Siblings pretty much fit those requirements and we did just fine.

Really depends on what the kids is and the support you need. I've met many others who made aliyah more recently as well. I know people who specifically made aliyah with some mental health issues because the care here would be better or cheaper or both.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 1:09 am
Thanks.
The thing is - she has these issues, but she’s doing well, thank G-d.
I don’t think she would do well if uprooted.

DrMom

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 1:15 am
I think moving to a country where they speak a different language with a child with language challenges would require a longer timeline, so you have time for him/her to learn the other language. You'd also have to research carefully to find a community where the schools offer extra support.

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 1:20 am
We have thought about aliyah and have a couple of kids with various challenges. We spoke to many people who advised us to stay in the US till our kids finished high school. (we have a long way to go). More importantly, we discussed it with our kids and got emphatic no's from them. They know their struggles and they know how they are being accommodated and succeeding (for the most part). We would be foolish to take them under these circumstances.

Reality

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 1:32 am
amother OP wrote:
Hi,
I can't find the thread from friday.

But I have a question for you Reality if you feel like you want to answer.

I was under the impression, from an aliya seminar I took, that if you have kids with language difficulties, or kids with social/emotional issues, you should think long and hard before making aliya.

And since one of my kids fits that description, I figured aliya was off the table for the time being.

But then I saw that you wrote that one of your kids is - I forgot exactly what you said - but something about one kid having extra struggles.

And I was wondering about that - if that almost held you back from moving.

I would pm, but I don't really want to out myself. Sorry.

No pressure to answer if you don't want to.

Also open to answers from any imamothers....

Thanks!

I'm not fully understanding why you wouldn't pm me. You want to protect yourself so you want me to publicly discuss my child's issues? Real nice. Thanks but no thanks.

I will say my child got more real help here in Israel with less "hours" coming to him/her than all the long list of people "helping" in the US classroom. I'm so happy they were getting a parnassah from my child because that's pretty much all that got accomplished.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 2:51 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks.
The thing is - she has these issues, but she’s doing well, thank G-d.
I don’t think she would do well if uprooted.

It really depends in the diagnosis, how well they are doing, where you move, if the child wants to move too, etc.

So many factors present here.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 11:13 pm
Reality,
I definitely didn't want you to discuss your kid's issues at all.

I only wanted to know if you agreed with the premise that if a kid has language/social/emotional issues in the US, (and is doing well), that it doesn't make sense to uproot them.

Obviously, I know you don't agree with that premise because you did make aliya, but I was wondering if that was something that you would agree would make sense to think a little bit extra hard about/possibly give someone pause.

I certainly didn't want you to out yourself at all. I was simply referencing something you mentioned in the other thread, which I couldn't find.

I'm sorry it upset you.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 11:15 pm
Thanks LovesHashem, DrMom and Dandelion for your responses.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions