Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Please help settle this meat argument
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Great ma

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 7:16 am
myname1 wrote:
Interesting, so I guess some do agree with him. He likes the taste of meat, why make it taste like something else.

Exactly!
Definitely!

If you don't mind me saying this though, and I'm talking to myself big time really, why is it that we need others to validate our dh's preferences? Why can't we just hear and believe them when they express their preferences and likes? I mean why would they make up stuff about themselves??!!
No offense meant. I really wonder this, if it's a lack of trust on my part somewhere

Brit in Israel

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 7:20 am
Unless it's pickled and that's the way to cook it, it's an absolute no no.
If you want it boiled do it in a soup otherwise braised or roasted.
You can buy cheap cuts and cook it amazing that you can't tell it's cheap (someone into meats asked if my chuck roast was boneless ribs) but boiling it plain... honestly????
I now can only buy cheap meat but come from a family very into producing and cooking and enjoying meat of all types.

Great ma

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 7:20 am
hello45 wrote:
For an event meat cooked with wine, spices is much fancier. I wouldn’t do plain boiled meat.

If your dh or ds or dd or daughter in law or son in law liked plain boiled meat I hope you would take them into consideration. I'm sure you would

This is a preference thing, zero rules

Great ma

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 7:22 am
Brit in Israel wrote:
Unless it's pickled and that's the way to cook it, it's an absolute no no.
If you want it boiled do it in a soup otherwise braised or roasted.
You can buy cheap cuts and cook it amazing that you can't tell it's cheap (someone into meats asked if my chuck roast was boneless ribs) but boiling it plain... honestly????
I now can only buy cheap meat but come from a family very into producing and cooking and enjoying meat of all types.

A definite no no? Sounds harsh. This is your family and their likes we're talking about. Of course you're gonna make what they like to eat. Wouldn't make sense any other way, no?

Brit in Israel

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 7:24 am
Great ma wrote:
Exactly!
Definitely!

If you don't mind me saying this though, and I'm talking to myself big time really, why is it that we need others to validate our dh's preferences? Why can't we just hear and believe them when they express their preferences and likes? I mean why would they make up stuff about themselves??!!
No offense meant. I really wonder this, if it's a lack of trust on my part somewhere

It could very well be he enjoys the taste of meat. There are many recipes that enhance but don't cover up the meat flavour.
I always feel it's a waste when I eat in specific people house meat as I can't taste meat it's just way over flavoured.
If you are feeding a crowd cook it nicely, minimal flavours don't boil!

essie14

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 8:02 am
I have never made plain boiled meat. Don't think I've ever eaten it like that either.
DH and I both like meat with a lot of flavor.
If you're grilling it to rare it doesn't need more than salt and pepper but I would never boil meat.
I either braise or cook in a stew or very flavorful soup.

mommyX2

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 8:12 am
Ive never had it and it doesn't sound appealing. I would cook with some seasoning or wine etc if having company. I've never heard of anyone serving boiled meat and would think it's weird at an event. Err on the side of caution...and use a recipe Wink

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 8:13 am
I love meat and grew up with meat made all different ways.
Please don't serve me boiled meat at an event.
And please don't serve me boiled chicken ever. I'll eat it in soup no problem, but not otherwise. And not as the main at an event.

lovingmommy3417

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 8:17 am
I love meat and have never heard of this nor does it sound appetizing to me. I mean pickled meat boiled it delicious, but not meat with no seasonings....

naomi2

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 8:18 am
No, boiled meat is a an abomination

watergirl

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 8:25 am
myname1 wrote:

And he claims boiled chicken is yum too

It's not his claim. It's his feeling and his taste, which he is entitled to. He likes it. There are those who love plain, boiled meat and chicken.

What I like and what you like have nothing to do with your husband's taste and preference. There should not be an argument on if his personal taste is wrong or right. It's his taste!

If you are having guests, you can cook the meat however you want. If he is the one cooking it, then he gets to decide how it's made.

JasmineDragon

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 8:47 am
I like meat a moderate amount, and plain boiled meat sounds absolutely unappealing to me. I wouldn't expect most people to be happy to be served it at an event, either.

Great ma

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 8:55 am
I know many many people who like plain meat only. They're not American though, they're from a different culture and grew up with very plain food. They lived in poverty stricken areas in the 1960s which may have influenced their plain culture

Last edited by Great ma on Mon, May 06 2024, 8:56 am; edited 2 times in total

papermageling

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 8:56 am
He's free to enjoy what he enjoys. But he sounds like he's much less particular about meat than average. I would absolutely not serve a random cut of meat plain and boiled to guests.

theoneandonly

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:05 am
I grew up eating meat all the time and love meat.
Plain boiled meat is gross. Please do not serve that to guests unless guests specify that that is what they want
Maybe plain roasted meat can be decent but it still needs some spices, onions etc.

care4u

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:11 am
Boiled water meat sounds super plain to me. And not very appealing.

Like other people said it's completely different in a soup which has other spices and vegetables, but I would not serve that on a plate for a main. Dh would not like that either.

When I think of plain and simple meat, I think of more, salted and peppered and grilled, definitely not boiled in water.

imanotmommy

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 11:28 am
Great ma wrote:
Exactly!
Definitely!

She isn't asking if we think her husband really likes boiled meat and chicken. She's saying that he believes it is objectively good and enjoyed by most people, and she's asking us if that's true.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 11:44 am
I boil tongue in water and nothing else. Always incredible.

Great ma

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 11:49 am
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
I boil tongue in water and nothing else. Always incredible.

Tongue is pickled so meant to be boiled in water. Pickled meats like brisket do well being boiled in water too with onion,carrot, black pepper.

I roast all my meats in an oven roaster bag. I put salt black pepper and other seasonings like garlic powder paprika. Sometimes I add sliced raw onions and garlics too. Bake for 2-3 hours. Easy and delicious 😋

Simple1

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 12:16 pm
I think cooking method would affect the flavor just as much as the spicing. He’s not wrong for liking boiled meat. But for a crowd I would do something nicer. Not necessarily a recipe. Not everyone cooks with recipes.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics