Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Any recommendations? Summer getaways with kids

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 12:10 pm
Some of my kids have zero interest in daycamp and they’re way too young for sleep away. I’m thinking about renting a house for a couple of weeks or few homes few different weeks drivable from the tristate area. Looking for ideas or any tried and true airbnbs. My kids are under 8, they love swimming, playing in parks and by the beach. Honestly they don’t need much to be entertained. If I end up not forcing them to go to daycamp I will not be sitting home with them all day and I think breaking it up and going to different homes will make the summer easier. I haven’t decided yet what we’ll be doing but need to look at options.

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 12:45 pm
We rent a home in Orlando for a few weeks because you can get a huge house with a pool for a reasonable price.

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 1:36 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
We rent a home in Orlando for a few weeks because you can get a huge house with a pool for a reasonable price.

Was thinking of doing this. Though isn't the heat there unbearable? Worse then NY?

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 1:39 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
Was thinking of doing this. Though isn't the heat there unbearable? Worse then NY?

It's hot but so is ny. And the kids anyways spend most of the time in the pool.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 1:47 pm
I also heard that you can get great houses in Orlando for not so much money during the summer.

Most likely wherever we are, it will be hot, so may as well be some place that we can enjoy the pool....

Can you get a house with a minyan within walking distance for shabbos during the summer?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 1:53 pm
I thought about this. How hot does it get there? And is there a minyan? Kosher food? Dh wouldn’t b there during the week only Fri-sun.

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 2:11 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
It's hot but so is ny. And the kids anyways spend most of the time in the pool.

Isn't it hotter & more humid than in NY? Like you can't go outside some days?

amother
DarkGray

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 2:18 pm
Orlando is a taste of gehenom during the summer. Been there once and never going back lol. Would not recommend.

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 2:19 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
Orlando is a taste of gehenom during the summer. Been there once and never going back lol. Would not recommend.

That's what I thought, thanks.

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 2:20 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:

Honestly I don't find it that much worse than humid ny. But depends on the summer. And what activities you do. During the day is hot but you can go out.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 2:20 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
Isn't it hotter & more humid than in NY? Like you can't go outside some days?

Yes for sure it's hotter and more humid than NY. But when you are not running around all day, shuttling kids to day camp, play dates, etc, and can basically spend the day going from an air conditioned room to the pool, it's a lot more bearable.

I went to boca area for 3 weeks during the summer of 2020 and we basically did just this. One day, in the late afternoon, I took them to the zoo. We went for ice cream twice. But the rest of the time we stayed inside and at the pool. Did grocery shopping at night. It was plenty hot in NY then, too (my area got to 95 a few days) but we at least had a pool!

Yes, if you are doing different activities and waiting on line at Disney and Universal, yes, that sounds like h×ll on earth. But to be hanging out by the pool most of the time? Really doesn't sound so bad....

Amother oleander, can you give suggestions on how to find a house near a minyan?

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 2:23 pm
New Hampshire

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 2:29 pm
amother Ruby wrote:
Yes for sure it's hotter and more humid than NY. But when you are not running around all day, shuttling kids to day camp, play dates, etc, and can basically spend the day going from an air conditioned room to the pool, it's a lot more bearable.

I went to boca area for 3 weeks during the summer of 2020 and we basically did just this. One day, in the late afternoon, I took them to the zoo. We went for ice cream twice. But the rest of the time we stayed inside and at the pool. Did grocery shopping at night. It was plenty hot in NY then, too (my area got to 95 a few days) but we at least had a pool!

Yes, if you are doing different activities and waiting on line at Disney and Universal, yes, that sounds like h×ll on earth. But to be hanging out by the pool most of the time? Really doesn't sound so bad....

Amother oleander, can you give suggestions on how to find a house near a minyan?

Many communities will have minyanim during the summer. Go online to kosherorlando.org and reach out to them they keep a list of where the minyanim will be.

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 2:34 pm
We spent 5 weeks in Orlando one summer for the same reason. It was amazing! The mornings were spent doing indoor craft type activities, after lunch the kids spent at least 3 hours in the pool, and once or twice a week we did an activity in the late afternoon/evening like Disney Springs, Gatorland, mini golf, etc. We still reminisce about it years later, and based on the bungalow colony threads, it was much more affordable and we had a big house with a private pool.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:06 pm
We bribed my son to go to day camp last summer.
He doesn’t like swim and he doesn’t like sports.
What’s a kid like him to do all summer?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics