Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Trampoline vs other injuries, anecdotal
1  2  3  4  Next

doodlesmom

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:43 pm
I’m trying to gather some evidence.

Did your child ever need a cast from a trampoline?
What about a bike? Rollerblades? Ball? Playground equipment?

What injuries did cause the, to get a cast?

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:44 pm
I once had a cast from trampoline.
Apparently it's the most dangerous activity

amother
Peru

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:47 pm
My kids have had casts from trampolines, playground equipment, scooter, water park and just plain falling....

amother
Olive

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:49 pm
I work in peds ortho. We see all that and more. Scooter, monkey bars, slides. Lots of ortho injuries in the spring and summer

doodlesmom

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:50 pm
amother Outerspace wrote:
I once had a cast from trampoline.
Apparently it's the most dangerous activity

I keep hearing that, but in real life I know 1 person with a badly dislocated elbow when someone fell on her on the trampoline. Otherwise I don’t know anyone personally.

In the meantime my kids and siblings had casts from ball playing, rollerblading, cozy coup fall, steps tripping, plain tripping, bikes etc…

And statistically I don’t think it’s the most dangerous either….

Last edited by doodlesmom on Tue, May 07 2024, 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Apple

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:50 pm
I have a pool and feel more comfortable with that than having a trampoline after all I’ve read about it.

pgk

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:51 pm
We’ve had kids casted from just about everything but the trampoline we have in our backyard…go figure

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:52 pm
amother Olive wrote:
I work in peds ortho. We see all that and more. Scooter, monkey bars, slides. Lots of ortho injuries in the spring and summer
Do trampolines cause dramatically more injuries than other activities. And are the injuries more severe. I’ve been wondering if my anti trampoline paranoia is unwarranted.

But I witness the neighbors kids jumping off their trampoline and landing on a second floor window ledge and they’re doing just fine, so part of me wonders if owning a trampoline uses up zechusim.

rockland

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:59 pm
We own a 12ft trampoline for years. The best entertainment for the kids! Biggest Injury factor is not having large kids jump together with smaller kids, as they can fall on top of them. And not overloading it with too many kids on it together. We B"H never had any injuries from it. I am much more concerned with all the outdoor electric toys; electric scooters, Segway, etc. Trampoline is an amazing way for the kids to get their energy out.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 7:01 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
I’m trying to gather some evidence.

Did your child ever need a cast from a trampoline?
What about a bike? Rollerblades? Ball? Playground equipment?

What injuries did cause the, to get a cast?

One of my kids tripped going up the concrete steps outside, and had a double buckle fracture which required a cast. Another child was doing gymnastics and slammed her foot into a wall/door and needed a cast.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 7:01 pm
amother Apple wrote:
I have a pool and feel more comfortable with that than having a trampoline after all I’ve read about it.

I have never seen a tehillim request due to a trampoline injury but unfortunately have seen many tehillik requests from drowning.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 7:02 pm
Monkey bars, lots of broken arms. All the trampoline injuries I know were doing cartwheels so we don’t allow that on ours.

Highstrung

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 7:07 pm
Monkey bars
ATV accident
My niece broke her arm while under my care when she jumped on a trampoline. She was two and didn’t even fall. She just landed with force on her arm and had a buckle fracture in two places.

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 7:09 pm
We have on our street a shared trampoline, used by 12 families. We've had it for years now, without a single injury. Bh kh hashem should help further.
I think the "dangerous trampoline hype" is just a hype. There are always more injuries in the summer, that's the summer. I don't think most or even many are trampoline related.

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 7:10 pm
Highstrung wrote:
Monkey bars
ATV accident
My niece broke her arm while under my care when she jumped on a trampoline. She was two and didn’t even fall. She just landed with force on her arm and had a buckle fracture in two places.

We don't allow little kids on the big trampoline. It's not made for such young kids.

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 7:11 pm
My 4 yr old went on a 12 foot trampoline with a 4 yr old friend and started jumping. I lifted my 2 year old onto the edge, she stepped onto the trampoline, and immediately lost her balance due to the other two little kids, twisted as she fell, and broke her leg. Just like that. What

doodlesmom

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 7:22 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
My 4 yr old went on a 12 foot trampoline with a 4 yr old friend and started jumping. I lifted my 2 year old onto the edge, she stepped onto the trampoline, and immediately lost her balance due to the other two little kids, twisted as she fell, and broke her leg. Just like that. What

Curious it didn’t have the mesh enclosure?

amother
Jean

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 7:23 pm
Highstrung wrote:
Monkey bars
ATV accident

Were other kids on it at the same time?

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:59 pm
I have several boys. They (together with their sisters, me, and dh) have broken bones doing the following:

Playing baseball (I think this accounts for three different broken bones?)
Riding a bike in an empty parking lot
Going ice skating
Standing up wrong in their own bedroom (???)
Running around with friends (tag, etc.)

I'm sorry. While we don't have a trampoline, I think that minimizing risk has to be taken with a grain of salt. If my kids are invited to jump on a trampoline at a friend's house, I'm not going to forbid it (assuming that it's a well-maintained one and they have decent safety rules).

Broken bones happen. They're not the end of the world. It's part of childhood and doesn't mean you did something wrong or put your kids in harm's way.

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 9:00 pm
one kid fell of the playground equipment, needed a cast and a few surgeries for his arm
One kid fell down the inside stairs needed a cast
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics