Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What does saffron taste like?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:04 pm
What spice is it most similar to in taste?

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:14 pm
I don't know anything that tastes like saffron. I've heard it described as floral, sweet, earthy... but none of that can really explain the taste. It's unique and easily identified in dishes.

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:17 pm
Nothing, really. It has an earthy yet sweet/floral flavor that really can’t be replicated

Turmeric is a good substitute for the color, but very different flavor. Usually passable unless your making a dish that specifically highlights saffron (like saffron rice, for example)

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:21 pm
I want to taste it but don't want to buy if I don't like it- are there any restaurants or takeouts in Brooklyn that put this into one of their dishes?

theoneandonly

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:13 pm
Someone told me once that it's similar to za'atar but I have no idea if that's correct.

essie14

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 1:22 am
theoneandonly wrote:
Someone told me once that it's similar to za'atar but I have no idea if that's correct.

Not at all. I use both of these and they're not similar.

If I didn't have saffron I'd use Turmeric and paprika but it's not the same. Saffron is a unique flavor.

https://beatthebudget.com/subs.....ions.

mom_13

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 1:54 am
I love saffron and there is absolutely nothing that can come close to imitating it. Trader Joe's sells saffron in small quantities at low prices (not cheap, but low relative to standard) if you want to try it out. It's delicious with potatoes, rice, and more!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:18 am
Taste of saffron? Heaven!

DrMom

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:29 am
Tumeric is probably most similar, although saffron is lighter and more flowery.

Comptroller

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:49 am
I think it does not have much of a taste. It's mostly used as colorant for yellow.

If I had to describe the taste I would say it is most similar to rose water, but much weaker.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 8:57 am
Saffron has a unique flavor - turmeric doesn't taste at all like it and the only reason it is suggested as a substitute is because of the intense color it imparts just like saffron so it can duplicate the "look" of a dish - especially a dish with rice.

It is hard to imagine someone not liking saffron because it isn't an overpowering taste - it isn't bitter or very "hot" and it isn't like cilantro which tastes like soap to the 40% of the population who are unfortunate to have the gene.

The drawback is cost but if you want to splurge and have a recipe that is recommended then go for it. The downside is not that you won't like it but that you WILL like it. LOL

icedcoffee

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 9:57 am
My husband is Persian so we use a lot of saffron. If you want a less expensive version to try, safflower is a pretty good substitute. I agree with essie that turmeric+paprika is probably the next closest thing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics