Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
S/O nosh thread

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:04 pm
Psa: we are born knowing when we're full!

You will not find a toddler overindulging.

They will leave an unfinished cookie or candy if they have too much.

We as adults don't trust them when they're little. We set them up for failure.

We coax when they don't eat their dinner, we sooth with sweets, we entice them with dessert.
All of it sends messages to our kids who are constantly learning.

In my house dessert and dinner are served on one plate. There is never a 'you've had enough'

When one of my kids was little he ate so much! My husband and I were both concerned because he ate more than us! We decided to trust that Hashem created a perfect being and gave him the ability to get full naturally..... and after a while he stopped. He eats normally and says enough when he's done.
He likes carbs so I make healthy grains, pastas, and breads.
He loves sweet so I make smoothies and jams and homemade juices. And today you can find so many 'junky' nosh without the real bad ingredients.

Our world is full of junk and we should not deprive our kids but we can trust them to know that they can listen to their hunger cues. We can teach them to make better choices and we can fill our house with better foods.

Whew that entire thread was a trigger.

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:06 pm
I disagree. There are many different health issues that lead to kids to not knowing when they ate too much.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:08 pm
This is so I inaccurate. Especially when it comes to sugar some kids even toddlers will keep eating past the point of being sick

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:20 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
I disagree. There are many different health issues that lead to kids to not knowing when they ate too much.
As the OP of that thread, I agree with this.

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:21 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
This is so I inaccurate. Especially when it comes to sugar some kids even toddlers will keep eating past the point of being sick
And with this too.

It's just so much more complicated than you're making it.

And even with totally regular, healthy kids, there comes a point where they don't want the healthier options, they want the real junk that everyone else has.

amother
Yolk

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:21 pm
My 18 month old will eat until he throws up. You bet I intervene

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:22 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
As the OP of that thread, I agree with this.

So what are the health issues that led to the kid not knowing she’s eating too much? I feel like that threat didn’t give too much info

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:26 pm
I was nodding my head when I starting reading, but dessert at the same as dinner? No way. I do believe children are naturally intuitive eaters. But they need parents to guide them. I have older teens and they are still intuitive eaters so I feel qualified to say I did an ok job with that. When we go out to eat and the waiter asks if we want dessert - sometimes they actually say no! And the waiter always looks as them like they’re crazy. Which kids say no to dessert 😄 I definitely agree not to push kids to take “just one more bite”. But I also wouldn’t just offer snacks and dessert at mealtimes. Why do we have to be so extreme? Everything in moderation. I’ve been reading so many threads recently on here with such extreme parenting methods. And I can tell you as an experienced mom and a professional who works with teens - extreme parenting doesn’t produce the results you hope it will.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics